• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non Fly18

I think he's asking if there are some ball golf courses out there that have cement tee pads integrated for disc golf as well. At least, that's what I make of it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any...don't even know of any fly18 courses near me. :(

timbuktwhom thats basically what I'm asking. Howwever they don't even need to have concrete teepads. There is a big discussion around here about the over abundance of ball golf courses and the city owns a couple and is try to figure out how to keep them somewhat profitable. I thought if I could point to some other areas that have DG courses on Ball courses it could possibly sell them on trying it out for a season or two :D

The only permanent courses laid out on ball golf courses I know of are the fly 18 ones.

But don't let that stop you from developing a well worded proposal and approaching the powers that be to let you start your own course.

A couple questions would have to be considered and answers provided if you're serious. The primary question would be how many DGers would be likely to patronize them if they offered a pay to play course. How active is the Disc Golf Community? How many active players do you have within 25 minutes of the proposed course. Who pays for the baskets?

You're really going to have to document yourself and any projections would have to be realistic and profitable. Another key point is you'd have to ease any fear that the presence of disc golfers wouldn't hurt their customer base of ball golfers. Basicly meaning everyone would have to be dressed and act appropriately to be on the ball golf course. May be a tough sell but if you had say 100 or more discgolfers in the area that play several times a week and you prepare properly and go through the right channels you may pull it off.

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the fly 18 ones?

Several of the regular I play with have talked about how we'd like to be able to play on ball golf courses, and brought it up with the local course pro. He told us that he'd spoken with at least one course, and their big issue was they were worried about damage to the greens. That's easily enough solved--just have the basket in some other place.

I think if you're serious about it, the best route would be to try to set up a temporary course and have it open for a weekend or two as sort of a trial basis for the course. I know it might be hard to find 18 decent temporary baskets, but it'd be good to have some sort of test run before anyone makes any kind of commitment. And I also agree with what roadkill said about having enough people that would be willing to do it, and acting and dressing appropriately. I personally would love to have that opportunity, I'd still spend the majority of my time at the good ol' free courses, but being able to play on a nice manicured ball golf course would be a nice treat to myself every once in a while.

This may be slightly off topic and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but.......... most ball golf courses make for boring disc golf courses.

The best ball golf courses for disc golf would be ones that feature lots of elevation changes, water hazards and plenty of trees.

I can remember the 89 pro worlds in Iowa when they used a ball golf course for the finals. It was wide open and everyone was throwing rollers of the tee. No real obstacles just wide open distance competitions that basicly resulted in a lot of threes.

With the right course you could make a decent DG course but you'd have to take full advantage of any trees or slopes. And if you want people to pony up $ to play and possible wait behind foursomes of old guys in plaid pants searching for their balls than it better be significantly better than the free courses in your area.

It would be fun to expose ball golfers to the sport, though. I would imagine more mixed groups (ball and disc) than groups of all disc golfers. I know a few people who would go ball golfing at the drop of a hat, but not disc golfing. Getting to go with them and show them what disc golfing is all about in that environment would be fun.

Getting the people with the money to run ball golf courses interested in developing disc golf courses would be a good thing, too.

Good points, roadkill. I hadn't even thought about the wide open spaces/old farts in plaid aspects of playing on a ball golf course. I was mainly thinking of the nice trimmed grass (instead of tall grass and stuff like blackberries or poison oak), pristine fairways (instead of random bits of trash and dog bombs), and being surrounded by like minded, courteous players (instead of the frat boys mentioned in other threads, random families and dog walkers.) So yeah, I revise my statement: I would love to play on a ball golf course PROVIDED it would actually be a fun course worth the $$.

I played on a par 3 golf course in Myrtle Beach that had baskets installed as well. It was flat awful. What roadkill said is right on the money. There really aren't enough obstacles on a ball golf course to make disc golf interesting.

I think you could come up with a good course if it were on a ball golf course in some place extremely mountainess like in a ski resort town. Adirondacks, Piedmonts, Rockies,etc.

A lot of the local courses around here have lots of elevation change and water so I think you could make a decent course.

I need a place to be able to wear my plaid so I hope it works :D