• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-Innova/Millenium must haves?

Technohic

* Ace Member *
What are your favorite discs that are NOT Innova?

I want to get into some others and have looked at the Discraft deal but I want discs 150-165 area, otherwise if it gets very far off that, I just got worthless plastic most the time, so I want to be more precise.

I was thinking about a Buzz and Surge SS from Discraft and an Illusion and Sabre from Gateway to start, but what are your favorites outside of those and what do you use them for?

illusion is beefy as all hell, it is going left, and it's going left hard.

i throw all discraft besides the striker (lat. 64) and the sabre, i love the surge, the XL, the buzzz, the drone, the magnet, the challenger, the predator and the surge ss

i also like discrafts plastic more, i would not reccomend the illusion, i've had a lot of trouble with it, but maybe i just got a bad one, but the sabre is an AWESOME disc, replaced my teebird

Maybe I'm weird (OK, there's moy "maybe" about it), but I tend to drive with Innova (Beast, Wraith, Eagle, Road Runner), but use Discraft for upshots and putts (Buzzz, Challenger & APX).

For straight drives, I like my JLS.

Surge is alot like a Wraith - my only Discraft driver.

I would recommend the Buzzz (one of the greatest multi-purpose midranges - most people either fall into the Buzzz camp or the Roc camp), the Surge (mega distance driver with a 168-169 sweet spot), and the 150 Flick (thrown very hard, it runs straight down the pipe with a hard, long skip left to finish) from Discraft.

The Surge is pretty much the Wraith's identical twin separated at birth (and does come in 150 Class). The Surge SS is like a beat Wraith when new, but remember it will beat in and become even less stable.

I would look more at an Assassin from Gateway before an Illusion unless you throw super overstable discs (if your disc profile is current, you don't).

illusion is beefy as all hell, it is going left, and it's going left hard.

i throw all discraft besides the striker (lat. 64) and the sabre, i love the surge, the XL, the buzzz, the drone, the magnet, the challenger, the predator and the surge ss

i also like discrafts plastic more, i would not reccomend the illusion, i've had a lot of trouble with it, but maybe i just got a bad one, but the sabre is an AWESOME disc, replaced my teebird

I just got a illusion and I love it. I throw rhfh though, which may work a little different than rhbh. I've been throwing it for a couple of weeks and it is by far the longest disc in my bag. BTW, I got the E glow version and its really stiff and domey. Almost everytime I throw it I can get out over 325'. May not work for everyone, but works great for me.

I was thinking about a Buzz and Surge SS from Discraft and an Illusion and Sabre from Gateway to start, but what are your favorites outside of those and what do you use them for?

The Buzzz and Surge SS are great discs. The Challenger is another good one that has been getting more throw-time on the course as of late. It handles power shots really well and is what I use for tee shots of less than around 240'. Even though it's rated as a bit overstable, it still holds a nice anny line. Speaking of anny's, the Stratus is the most accurate anny disc I've thrown, but I'm not going to use it when I need a max-d anny.

Loving the Stalker lately, and I believe I've seen some 165's out there...

real straight, form forgiving (thank god for this guy), and surprisingly little fade.

For approach and putts I use the Gateway Warlock. It is m only non innova disc and if I lost it I would have to replace it. It holds a straight line better than any other disc I have played.

I'm a real fan of the Nebula (yep, more than the Buzzz), the Surge, and the Warlock.

I really like Latitude 64's Core and Striker and am an avid Buzzz thrower. I can't decide if I like the Buzz or the Core better. I also love the Aerobie Epic for Thumbs and Tommys and the Soft Magnet for putting.

buzzzz for sure. stalker for straight straight low fade drives, wasp,drone,comet,flash,avenger,surge,surge ss. i love almost every discraft disc. other than discraft I would reccomend from gateway... Wizard,ummmm wizard, and if you haven't tried one yet I also reccomend the wizard. lol

For longer tight shots (heavy heavy woods) nothing better than my FLX buzzz.

For shots that are more open, yet have trees to sneak around, my Z Wasp is my disc. Great disc that can handle snap with out turning over.

For all approaches I use my FLX Challenger, an amazing disc, I would use it for putting but I have my Soft Banger GT. The grip on the banger with the groove top is so comfortable it instantly increased my putting accuracy.

So the discraft discs that won't leave my bag are:
FLX Buzzz (I want to try out the Z too)
Z Wasp
FLX Challenger
Soft Banger GT

discraft all the way! im starting to switch over to discraft. get a buzz! try to get it in elite z or esp plastic, its the straightest disc i own, the surge (not ss) is next on my list, also, the wildcat from discraft is amazing! its a great straight or anhyzer disc, it also makes a good hyzer disc.
a discraft force is the fastest one they make, its comparable to an innova destroyer
discs u should get: buzzz, surge or surge ss, wildcat, force (if you have a big arm) avenger or avenger ss (the avenger ss is very flippy, its great for anhyzer shots)