• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-retrieval Areas Lining a Fairway

Designers need to assume that discers will ignore posted signs and go to any lengths to retrieve errant throws. There's a hole at Barnett Park in Orlando (hole 6, northside) which requires a big spike hyzer out of a shoot over a fenced retention pond for the first 1/2 of the disc's flight. Roughly 20-30% of throws from that tee end up over the fence. As would be expected, the fence has been vandalized to create an opening for disc golfers to retrieve their discs.

This is the significant issue.

Where I've seen fenced, no-trespassing areas, I treated them just like deep water. A disc in there, is a goner. And I love water on courses.

But if you've got a situation where disc golfers will trespass---and if they can, they probably will---the course gains a bad reputation and could end up getting pulled.

This is the significant issue.

Where I've seen fenced, no-trespassing areas, I treated them just like deep water. A disc in there, is a goner. And I love water on courses.

But if you've got a situation where disc golfers will trespass---and if they can, they probably will---the course gains a bad reputation and could end up getting pulled.

This has been my experience as well. Hole #11 at the Disc Creek course here is next to an area that used to be occupied by the Fire Dept. training facility. the tall fence surrounding the area had a few areas that disc golfers pulled up the bottom to go under to retrieve discs that went in. The Fire Dept. guys didn't seem to mind and they even left the gates open, even though the gates were on a different side than the course.

Several years ago, the Fire Dept. moved to a new facility near the airport and the Amarillo Police Bomb Squad moved into the vacant buildings. They put up "NO TRESPASSING" signs all around the outside of the fence and repaired the holes in the fence. Still Dg'ers kept going into their lot until one day a golfer went in at the wrong time. He got arrested (not sure if it was for trespassing or the "unmentionables" he had in his possession). I was able to work out an arrangement with the APD to get discs returned, but the golfers have a difficult time learning that some people don't want us in their area.

#13 at the Mounds in Oak Ridge has a big fence on the right side. A disc over that fence is GONE. It's government property for a nuclear facility & there are signs on the fence that say they have the right to shoot to kill, questions will be asked later!

The back wooded holes on Longley in Lebanon, IN have a "no trespass" zone over the fence where a shooting range is. During the players' meeting for a tournament there, the TD was insistent that if you go over the chain link fence you were running the risk of getting shot, but from how he made it sound the fence was bulletproof. Luckily they had a contact within the club to whom they'd return errant discs.

Whittier Narrows has these fenced-in enclosures about 40 x 40 feet that have high tension power pylons inside them. Used to be, these areas were 100% inaccessible and if your disc landed inside one you were SOL.

Now, of course, so many people were climbing the chain link and otherwise destroying the sanctity of those protected areas that the county (or utility, or whoever) simply leaves the gate unlocked and trusts that whoever goes in there has enough sense to not climb up on the pylons.

So far (AFAIK) no one has been electrocuted; HOWEVER, one of the So Cal Chain Gang-ers was nicked $200 for smoking a cigarette within the boundaries of the park(!) Cop wheeled up in his cruiser, cutting across the fairway and everything just to snag our buddy, give him a ticket and drive off smirking, satisfied that he'd made his quota for the day ...

Latest posts