• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

non-throwing hand question

tigel

Double Eagle Member
Since I started throwing backhand (3-4 months?) when I reached back I would always touch or hold the disc with my offhand at my fullest extension. I wouldn't even really grip it with my offhand, I think I used it as a guide so i wouldn't start low and finish high. Well through the months I just didn't notice this. It became natural in my form.

Monday I noticed this and decided to do some drives out on the field keeping my offhand away from my disc. Let me just say, it felt so much better. I think I was able to produce a lot better spin than when I was holding my disc with my offhand at my reach back. Just everything in general felt smoother, and more natural. My throws went just as far I would say. I only got 30-40 throws in with this new technique, compared to 1000+ with my old technique so I don't know what is better yet.

I'm curious what is happening by holding my disc with my offhand on my reach back. What does it effect in my throw? One thing I did notice was when I didn't hold my disc at my reach back i wasn't reaching back as much, however I was throwing closer to my chest, and it felt like I was producing more spin as well. For all I know it doesn't matter though. Any thoughts?

On all of my really good throws, it feels like my arm is getting the reachback by the winding of my body, not by actually reaching my arm back. I feel like if my other hand was all up in there, it would be really hard to get that sort of "winding" up feel, and it would be as if my left arm was pulling on my right arm, even if it was subtle. That, and it is probably robbing you of some momentum generation as you wind up.

Pretty much, everything I have heard about throwing a backhand is the less involved your off hand is the better.

Firios said:
On all of my really good throws, it feels like my arm is getting the reachback by the winding of my body, not by actually reaching my arm back. I feel like if my other hand was all up in there, it would be really hard to get that sort of "winding" up feel, and it would be as if my left arm was pulling on my right arm, even if it was subtle. That, and it is probably robbing you of some momentum generation as you wind up.

Pretty much, everything I have heard about throwing a backhand is the less involved your off hand is the better.

THAT'S what I was trying to describe but I couldn't think of it. That's exactly what it feels like now when I keep my offhand away.

I'm curious what is happening by holding my disc with my offhand on my reach back. What does it effect in my throw?

touching/holding the disc with your off-hand forces the shoulders to line up parallel. this is only applicable for some flat throws and some anhyzer shots. most shots are best performed with the shoulders rotating independently of one another, that is, there is not a perfectly straight line across your chest from shoulder to shoulder for the majority of the throw.

90%+ of players that touch/hold the disc with their off-hand have OAT. even if they telegraph the shot correctly there is an increased tendency to finish on a flat plane.