• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-Wizard Wizard

Wreck

Par Member
So I love one particular Wizard I own and I would love to use them as my main putter, but I can't stand the inconsistency from disc to disc and the lack of availability because so many people throw the same disc/weight as I do. So I'm curious what you all think is the closest disc to a Wizard that is not gateway (preferably a manufacturer whose pretty consistent). I'd be especially interested in the disc that is closest based upon the PDGA measurement standards...or whatever they're referred to.

Thanks for you input!

i love the focus.. i have never really messed with wizards but i have been told the focus is a discraft wizard..

The Focus is the same profile as a Wizard.
The MVP Ion is the same profile too.

What you're going through is why I buy Wizards in pairs (or more). As for your question, the Ion is much closer to the Wizard than the Focus despite the Focus' reputation.

I will say that the Focus is the closest to looking like a Wizard, but I feel like it is a little less stable. Most of the Vibram, and MVP putters have the same sort of rim, but way different materials. The banger is a good one to check out. The "groove top" will be different, but the flight is right there with a Wizard.

Ive thrown all 3 and have all 3 in my bag. The focus is closer to the wizard than the ion. However all 3 are fairly similar.

I threw Challengers before Wizards, but I've never thrown a Focus. Challenger would be my suggestion.

Very consistent mold as well...

This is going to depend on what you like about the Wizard. If you like the chalky, gummy feel of your Wizard, try a Soft Focus. If you just like the feel of the mold and the bead, try an Ion. I moved from Wizards to Ions for much the same reason as you're looking for a new mold.

If you want to stick with Wizards though, what helped me was finding a tournament stamped Wizard I really liked (there are a LOT of tourneys that use Wizards for stamps). Tourney stamped runs all were pretty much the same as each other, so you just need to find people willing to sell their Wizards. The other good thing about that is, odds are a lot of people who just got a tourney stamp disc don't throw Wizards, so they won't be too adverse to letting them go.

Find a weight and firmness you like and call the guys at your local shop. They can order them for you in quantities and will probably give you a price break. I bought 10 identical Wizards the last time I did this. I'm rotating through them so they all wear the same.

Find a weight and firmness you like and call the guys at your local shop. They can order them for you in quantities and will probably give you a price break. I bought 10 identical Wizards the last time I did this. I'm rotating through them so they all wear the same.

^---this

You can also probably contact Gateway. From what I see they are easier to order small batches from than other companies. I bet if you contacted them with type of wizard you are looking for they can dig around and find 5-10 to send you.

Or just get a focus the plastic they make those in now a days is pretty damn sweet

Wizard consistency is all determined on color. What color putter are you using? If you like the feel of that color contact gateway and get some more and tell them you want them in different softnesses. Ive found all the black wizards to have an amazing feel and are very consistent. White is also the same. The teal color has a very soft feel, and the reds are always slick and way too hard for my liking.

but if you want to try another mold, go with the focus. It is pretty much a wizard. like almost identical, I feel like they dont glide nearly as well, but that just may be my bias.

Gateway has a 5/$40 deal on Wizards, just email and ask about it. I now have 5 identical Black SSS Wizards and couldn't be happier.

Or just get a focus the plastic they make those in now a days is pretty damn sweet

Which plastic? The soft or the D?

I don't have a local shop, that's part of the problem I run into with getting discs...it's all online.

I like the sound of the soft Focus because it's the chalky feel that I really love, but does it have the same glide, or do you sacrifice glide to get the feel of it?

...I do like the glide on the Wiz.

Is the fade identical? Or does the Focus have any less fade? How does the focus do holding a Hyzer line?

Last edited:
Gateway has a 5/$40 deal on Wizards, just email and ask about it. I now have 5 identical Black SSS Wizards and couldn't be happier.

+1 I buy mine from the store but I think black Wizards are the most consistent I have 10+ from organic to SSS and they all feel the same

Which plastic? The soft or the D?

I don't have a local shop, that's part of the problem I run into with getting discs...it's all online.

I like the sound of the soft Focus because it's the chalky feel that I really love, but does it have the same glide, or do you sacrifice glide to get the feel of it?

...I do like the glide on the Wiz.

Is the fade identical? Or does the Focus have any less fade? How does the focus do holding a Hyzer line?

The wizard is the least glidey butter I have ever thrown. I switched to challengers from wizards because of wizard inconsistancies. It flies simular, more glide a little less hss.

Latest posts