• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob, looking for some advice.

I noticed you said you had problems throwing the driver on a run up (also flat footed) I had similar problems when I started, especialy on the run up.
I just practiced flat footed, then once I got that down, took a couple steps back, and a two step throw, then went to three, and so on and so forth. Till I got the full run up.

In the words of Dr. Leo Marvin "Baby steps to the door, Bob"

It will come to you, just have patience. You'll get there.

Drive with your putters! By far the best way to tell what needs to be fixed in your form. Go to an open field and practice driving your putters. Video taping also helps a lot.

Drive with your putters! By far the best way to tell what needs to be fixed in your form. Go to an open field and practice driving your putters. Video taping also helps a lot.

This. Get something like a wizard, banger gt, or challenger. A more overstable putter and let em rip!

Also your buzzz should be turning over with power if released flat.

Try a 150 Orion LS in Sirius plastic and see how far and straight you throw that baby.

As a fellow noob, I don't have much in the way of advice, other than some congrats on finding this site early on. It's been incredibly helpful to me, allowing me to draw on the wisdom of better players and learn more about discs, technique, etc.

I need to get a camera and get some footage of my throw like you have done. It's hard to get a feel for someone's description of their throw compared to actually seeing it.

Well you have a lot of good advice to choose from here. I had Pro Grandmaster offer to teach me, I was lucky. He wouldnt let me do a run up or use a driver for the first month. I stood flat footed(well on my toes) and just threw midranges (Buzz) at a target. Always at a target. starting at 100-200. If it hyzers out, try to compensate by putting anyhzyer on it. Just throw with the goal of throwing flat and straight. I have to say it really helps to have someone who can watch you and see what you are doing wrong.

In the mean time go to the local Mini's or Leagues and meet the locals and try to find a friendly mentor...good luck.....

I noticed you said you had problems throwing the driver on a run up (also flat footed) I had similar problems when I started, especialy on the run up.
I just practiced flat footed, then once I got that down, took a couple steps back, and a two step throw, then went to three, and so on and so forth. Till I got the full run up.

In the words of Dr. Leo Marvin "Baby steps to the door, Bob"

It will come to you, just have patience. You'll get there.

Haha, I think "baby steps is the way to go. I have been watching Dan Beto's video on youtube (mentioned w/link earlier) over & over, and have been working on the flat & 2 step. I don't have an area large enough to throw at home, so I've been faking it (over & over). My shoulder and arm are pretty sore now... so maybe I'm getting there. ;)

I never really thought about trying this, but I'll give it a shot. I also hope to video this weekend (even if I'm only up to a 2 step) it's gotta help.

I haven't noticed my buzzz turning over (maybe a little) seems to go pretty straight (it's pretty new and I've only thrown it 10x), my Stratus is the only one I can get to consistently turn over. Have been compensating by throwing FH, if I absolutely have to, but prefer the control of BH.

Try a 150 Orion LS in Sirius plastic and see how far and straight you throw that baby.

I might give that one a shot, trying to limit my purchases at this point (the wife is getting suspicious) lol. Currently, I get the most distance out of my Cyclone (5-6 years old) only beats my mids by approx 30' and is less predictable. I have tried a Cheetah & Valkyrie in 150, they also hooked hard just like my 170's.
As a fellow noob, I don't have much in the way of advice, other than some congrats on finding this site early on. It's been incredibly helpful to me, allowing me to draw on the wisdom of better players and learn more about discs, technique, etc.

I need to get a camera and get some footage of my throw like you have done. It's hard to get a feel for someone's description of their throw compared to actually seeing it.

Corey, I amazed at the amount of help and terrific advice I have gotten. I am a bit overwhelmed, but very appreciative. This is a great forum, and hopefully with practice, I can help someone else someday. I am a chronic lurker on here, and read as much as I can. Threads are always full of great info, supported opinions, and no attitudes. Very thankful for finding this site. :)

Well you have a lot of good advice to choose from here. I had Pro Grandmaster offer to teach me, I was lucky. He wouldnt let me do a run up or use a driver for the first month. I stood flat footed(well on my toes) and just threw midranges (Buzz) at a target. Always at a target. starting at 100-200. If it hyzers out, try to compensate by putting anyhzyer on it. Just throw with the goal of throwing flat and straight. I have to say it really helps to have someone who can watch you and see what you are doing wrong.

In the mean time go to the local Mini's or Leagues and meet the locals and try to find a friendly mentor...good luck.....

Great stuff, thank you. You were lucky, I have been going to my local course on weekends and travel to a larger/more popular course after course after work once a week. I have met a few people and chatted a bit, everyone is very friendly and I'm sure I can coherse some assistance from "the locals" in the near future. I keep a few extra cold one's in the bag, just in case. :D

I will get out and practice as you and others have suggested, with no run up yet, throwing mids, and what I think my biggest weakness is being smooth. I have definitely been trying to rip it to hard.

Lots to think about & practice! Thanks again everyone, I couldn't be happier with the advice and suggestions you have given me. Thank you so much for your time & expertise. :D

Let me summarize some of this great advice for you, because what will happen is you'll get info overload and try to do too many things at once. The key to good throws is consistency, same form over and over, eliminate the variables. When you drive you want to keep that disc close to you, have a straight pull and reach back getting the shoulders and torso into it. You don't really throw drivers, you pull them and they rip out of your hand. The Beato vid is good, it teaches consistency. Don't go on a spending binge quite yet, you've got a good stable of discs all ready, just get to work learning them. Oh, and have fun.

i think your gonna like the Qjls it will grow with you , right now it will be a good distance driver and as you improve it will become a good fairway and mid range disc . depending on the weight it can do almost any shot or style of shot.

and id hold off on the orionLS for now but itll be a good replacement for the Qjls when you get to that point. btw the orionLS is almost the same as the starfireSL and the orionLF is like the starfire

Let me summarize some of this great advice for you, because what will happen is you'll get info overload and try to do too many things at once. The key to good throws is consistency, same form over and over, eliminate the variables. When you drive you want to keep that disc close to you, have a straight pull and reach back getting the shoulders and torso into it. You don't really throw drivers, you pull them and they rip out of your hand. The Beato vid is good, it teaches consistency. Don't go on a spending binge quite yet, you've got a good stable of discs all ready, just get to work learning them. Oh, and have fun.

Thank you, I'm definitely in info overload. Thx for the summary and pointing out the major things to remember.

i think your gonna like the Qjls it will grow with you , right now it will be a good distance driver and as you improve it will become a good fairway and mid range disc . depending on the weight it can do almost any shot or style of shot.

and id hold off on the orionLS for now but itll be a good replacement for the Qjls when you get to that point. btw the orionLS is almost the same as the starfireSL and the orionLF is like the starfire

USPS just showed up with my Climo/Feldberg DVD, and my shiny new QJLS. I do have a question about the JLS, it is made by Innova? I was checking it out and underneath is the the traditional Innova info.

I am planning on holding off on any more purchases, if I get caught by the wife, by goose is cooked, and I'm running out of room to hide anymore in the "kids" bag. lol ;)

So I just did a search on the QJLS, and couldn't find anything... The one I got, definitely appears to be an Innova disc in champion plastic. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think its Millenium, they are made for Millenium by Innova....I think...

yeah, it must be. It's stamped (molded on the underside Innova Champion Discs, Inc. Rancho Cucamonga) and looks & feels just like Champion plastic.

I can't wait to get out of work and get it airborne! :D

IIRC, most, if not all, of the Millennium discs are at the very least parts designed by Dave D. and manufactured by Innova but sold by Millennium. The production discs being made now are made out of Innova plastics, too. Millennium base plasic is Innova Pro, Quantum is Champion and Sirius is Star.

One thing I like about Millennium is they don't have any of fluff discs. For example, you don't have to sort through a half dozen neutral mids to figure out which one you like the best. They just have the MS and it's a great disc. Want a distance disc that's kind of beefy? Get an OLF. Want one that's more understable? Get the OLS. You're not sorting through Valks, Vikings, Beasts, SLs, Orcs, Starfires, Sidewinders and whatever else trying to figure out which one is the best.

IIRC, most, if not all, of the Millennium discs are at the very least parts designed by Dave D. and manufactured by Innova but sold by Millennium. The production discs being made now are made out of Innova plastics, too. Millennium base plasic is Innova Pro, Quantum is Champion and Sirius is Star.

One thing I like about Millennium is they don't have any of fluff discs. For example, you don't have to sort through a half dozen neutral mids to figure out which one you like the best. They just have the MS and it's a great disc. Want a distance disc that's kind of beefy? Get an OLF. Want one that's more understable? Get the OLS. You're not sorting through Valks, Vikings, Beasts, SLs, Orcs, Starfires, Sidewinders and whatever else trying to figure out which one is the best.

its like store brand huh?:D

Can't say I agree with that. The only reason a Buzzz will turn over for me is if it's too light for your power. Now, if you have the power to throw a Buzzz 400' then you probably need to hyzer-flip it so it doesn't turn over, but for us mere mortals that throw it less than 350' all you need to do is use a heavier weight (not Pro-D, preferably Elite-Z) if it's turning over on you.

What weight is the Buzzz that you're turning over and how far do you throw it? I use a 178 Z Buzzz and get it out around 320' with a flat release on a dead straight line, which I think is about average for this disc.

••••UPDATE••••

So, I have been doing a lot of practicing and have finally achieved flat, smooth flight (most of the time) out of my drivers. My distance has increased a bit, but I'm sure with more practice it will come. I had a blast last night playing my favorite course (Amesbury, MA) and keeping most of my shots on the fairway!

Thanks to all who offered up their advice/tips! =)

••••UPDATE••••

So, I have been doing a lot of practicing and have finally achieved flat, smooth flight (most of the time) out of my drivers. My distance has increased a bit, but I'm sure with more practice it will come. I had a blast last night playing my favorite course (Amesbury, MA) and keeping most of my shots on the fairway!

Thanks to all who offered up their advice/tips! =)

good job man! just keep throwing straight and developing your timing and the rest will come in good time.....

Latest posts