• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob turbo putt?

traumadiver

Bogey Member
I tried it at first for fun but its been pretty effecive for me up to about 25 feet... Any cons to this ? Should I just stick with what works or try and work toward a more traditional putt?

it is not the norm but there are people who prefer to turbo all of their shorter putts. it is effective out to about 25'. after that you have to play the fade or throw it dead straight. throwing it flat can leave you some long comebacks if you miss the basket.

keep doing it, but learn a traditional putt as well.

Wind is heavily detrimental to turbo putting.

Turbo putting is like the sky hook of disc golf. Or something.

I turbo almost exclusively b/c I can't putt conventionally to save my life.

As above, tubo is money out to about 25' and then it gets chancy. I don't know that wind is such a big deal - if it's windy I just throw with more authority and it seems to go in pretty regularly.

The real advantage of the turbo is that you can shoot from behind a bush, a rock, or any other obstacle that's less than about 8' tall. That includes tiny little windows between branches (looks impossible but it's really no sweat).

The bad thing, of course, is if you're putting against a low ceiling, you're pretty much SOL. So as GLong said, learn both, to which I'll add enjoy both and lower your scores accordingly.

In addition to putting, with some practice turbos can be used quite effectively for approach shots up to 125' or so. I'll use it when when obstacles take away any confidence of making it and just slide it in right under the basket for an easy par putt. A really grippy disk is a must for that kind of distance. For me nothing beats a Gumbputt for long turbos with an Ion a close second.

I used to turbo putt for a brief stint exclusively. Glad I didn't stick with it. Me and my magnet are money now using a traditional putting style.

My friend who rarely plays has a mean turbo putt. We all used to laugh at him but he is kinda killing with that thing....