• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

agent_peebody

* Ace Member *
Use this to ask your "noobie" dye questions instead of making an entire thread for just one question about dying in general.

:)

can i dye scarlet red on a yellow star plastic, and will be stay RED? Or will the yellowish tint be too much for the red to show up?

The red should show up just fine, might have to go a little longer than usual, but it'll be fine to take the red.

xJFK,

cover the entire disc in clear contact paper/vinyl after your first dye (assuming you have taken off the old vinyl and just have bear disc again) and then cut on the disc the area you wish to dye next. Repeat for any other colors.

xJFK,

cover the entire disc in clear contact paper/vinyl after your first dye (assuming you have taken off the old vinyl and just have bear disc again) and then cut on the disc the area you wish to dye next. Repeat for any other colors.

You can also cut a piece of vinyl big enough to cover the area you want to remask if you don't want to use a new sheet for every colour

How do you convert a regular photo (say, of a face) to an image ready for disc?

You could always photoshop it to display the image using only 2 colors (like a solid black stencil with white in the lighter areas) or 3 or 4 colors if you were doing a multiple layer dye... then again this is .02 from a guy that cant dye very well :)

How do you convert a regular photo (say, of a face) to an image ready for disc?
I can give you the brief photoshop version, can't talk to any other editors.

Depends exactly what you're doing with it. But if you're referring to making a stencil out of a picture, you'll need to desaturate the image first (basically make it black and white or greyscale) then use the image->adjustments->threshold and then play with the slider.

There's some other tweaking you can do, adjusting levels, color balance, things like that before/after you greyscale the image so the threshold adjustment will come out better. That's a quick overview that should get you going, just takes some messing around with to get the hang of.

I'm doing a bottom stamp with cold dye by pooling the dye in the disc.
how long should it sit for a solid set and is there anything else i should know about doing it this way?

are you f'ing serious???????

haha.. wow.. i might have to pick one of those up!!! That would make it sooo much less stressful! I have such a hard time keeping my curved lines consistent.

yup thats what i thought. Then i went and looked at the prices for a low end plotter, and were talking like $700. :\ Unless i dont know about a small desk top type of some sort, they are expensive

how long should it sit for a solid set and is there anything else i should know about doing it this way?

make sure to mask out the inside of the rim unless you want it dyed as well. You can heat the dye up if you want and spoon it into the bottom of the disc to get quicker results. You are best to check the dye every few mins until the desired colour is achieved. This can be done by picking up the disc and giving it a slight tilt to expose some of the plastic. This will take much longer with a cold dye.

Also you can mask out the bottom of the disc in area that you wish not to be dyed.

make sure to mask out the inside of the rim unless you want it dyed as well. You can heat the dye up if you want and spoon it into the bottom of the disc to get quicker results. You are best to check the dye every few mins until the desired colour is achieved. This can be done by picking up the disc and giving it a slight tilt to expose some of the plastic. This will take much longer with a cold dye.

Also you can mask out the bottom of the disc in area that you wish not to be dyed.

thanks, good advice. I've got a sheet down in the with a design that's poorly cut:thmbdown:. It's been in for 90 min cold.

When I do a bottom dye, I heat up a pan of just plain water and keep that warm and float the disc in it, then spoon in warm dyes, my dye times are about equivalent this way.