• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

/checks bag for hidden camera :eek:

I do sometimes, a lot of times, I guess, throw under my arm. I'll put my left hand level as like a place holder for what level I want to throw from. I don't lay my hand on my disc like some kind of hand rest, but yeah, hand out with disc under it.

I've also caught myself reaching back farther than I intend to. Probably getting under my left arm then too.

Reading the Wind

Ok I got wind basics down as far as crosswinds go but today I overshot a few holes as soon as the discs were possibly going right into the wind? Its like the disc gets a shot of nitrous and just takes off as soon as it gets oriented a certain way in the wind and it always suprises me.

What kind of wind makes a disc pick up speed like this, direct headwind or slight crosswind? Its always fun to watch but I need to learn when to really power down and expect it.

thanks!

A head wind may make your disc fly faster if it's stable enough to handle it. I don't have a lot of wind in my area, so wind dosent come into play a whole lot. The biggest winds we deal with here are around 20mph at the fastest.

Ok I got wind basics down as far as crosswinds go but today I overshot a few holes as soon as the discs were possibly going right into the wind? Its like the disc gets a shot of nitrous and just takes off as soon as it gets oriented a certain way in the wind and it always suprises me.

What kind of wind makes a disc pick up speed like this, direct headwind or slight crosswind? Its always fun to watch but I need to learn when to really power down and expect it.

thanks!

Wind is your friend if you know how to use it.

Tail wind: Will make a disc act more stable. You will want to throw something less stable or throw a slower speed disc.

Head wind: Will make a disc act more under stable. You will want to throw something more stable or throw a higher speed disc.

All info comes from where a 20mph wind is a calm day. :thmbup:

If you expose the bottom side of the disc to the wind, it will catch and push it. Ex: Throwing a RHBH on a hyzer with a right to left cross wind.

Throwing an anny or hyzer with a cross wind will also affect the disc, generally by pushing it down and not getting as much distance as normal. Also sometimes causing the disc to go straight while the disc is still angled at an anny or hyzer release.

Since these werent stable discs I will chaulk it up to random tailwinds that werent apparent where I was teeing off from. Latest weird stuff was will leopards and mids where they have gone forever.

The whole headwind, disc goes up ( depending on nose angle) and is less stable, tailwind, disc goes down and is more stable, is the first rule of wind everyone learns but I like another one for strong crosswinds for those who throw both FH and BH.

Show the TOP of the disc to the wind. In other words for a strong left to right wind throw backhand (righty) and for a right to left wind throw forehand.

sounds like he is throwing under his arm

I don't why that was a problem.

I think you're right. I used to do this and now I try to keep my left arm down at my side. Helped out a bunch.

And I don't know why that helped. But it did.

:thmbup:

Played Ferry Park 4 times while vacationing.Played twice w/Brother Al,he was hitting 80 ft. flick putts.

That particular run of plastic was very good. Durable and the discs molded up nicely in it to produce ideal flight patterns for the various molds.

Noob question -- what is the best way to ship discs? Like how would you ship just 1, or 3, or 5? Every time I have ever shipped a disc it ended up costing way too much and I lost money on every sale.

Is there something I am missing? I have like 40-50 discs to sell but I do not want to sell them for essentially half off because of shipping costs.

Noob question -- what is the best way to ship discs? Like how would you ship just 1, or 3, or 5? Every time I have ever shipped a disc it ended up costing way too much and I lost money on every sale.

Is there something I am missing? I have like 40-50 discs to sell but I do not want to sell them for essentially half off because of shipping costs.

These envelopes cost around $5 to ship (less if you have a commercial account) and can hold 1 or 2 discs - That's how I've always received them.

1 - usps first class
3 - priority
5 - priority or priority flat rate box

if you have a lot of dx to sell then unfortunately you are SOL. there's no margin for profit on stuff that cheap.

you can get cheap padded envelopes at the dollar store. or you can pack discs in layers of plastic grocery bags and just use the priority envelopes available for free at the PO.

you live in an area with a decent DG population - i would show up to a tourney or local league and try to sell the stuff in person.

More flexible than Z, more durable than ESP. It's great for those folks that like the reliability of Z but prefer the grip of ESP. That said, it will beat in much faster than Z, but a touch slower than ESP.

Bought a r-pro xd from sky south, like it a lot and want more.

What should i know about xd's? I know they come in dx now and have a large fan base for the older ones. Flight differences? Molds? Thanks

Last edited: