• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Is it true that 150 class discs are generally more stable than their max weight counter parts?

I have a rules question that I remember. I was playing in an NT (or technically an A-tier, I guess) in the Rec division, and I was on the party card. It was the bottom two of Rec and bottom two of Nov. The hole was extremely open with only one tree dead center fairway. I was shooting probably the worst tourney round of my life, so my drive was caught by a low branch about 25' in the air and stuck.

The disc was in plain sight and there was no way I was leaving it there. I tried to take a minute throwing my water bottle at it attempting to get the disc down. About thirty seconds in, one of the Nov. players complained that I was taking all day. So the closest call of this I could think of was a lost disc call. I told the guy he could complain to the TD, but I'm taking 3 minutes to try to get it down. Now I'm thinking I had 60secs to throw once I got to my lie, what do you think the call is here?

PS, I ended up getting the disc down after about 2 minutes.

BUMP, I want to know what you guys think.

Is it true that 150 class discs are generally more stable than their max weight counter parts?

I would say no. I don't think I've ever really heard anyone say that, though. For one, mold variations matter more than weight. True, lighter discs can be thrown "harder", i.e. brought up to speed more easily, which will make it seem like their flight qualities are different...especially if form flaws are there. This would tend to make them seem less stable, which is usually what I hear about light discs. With proportionately reduced power, my experience is that most of them fly about the same as long as the run is similar in mold/plh. One thing to consider, depending on the plastic, is that lighter weights will have less/none of weighting agents, which can make the disc more flexible...sometimes flexy discs are a bit more stable.

The most recent reference I have personally besides blizzard stuff, is a 160g star Roadrunner vs. a 172g star. The 160g is far less stable - brand new. PLH is pretty nearly the same, dome is a tad higher on the 160g.

I have a rules question that I remember. I was playing in an NT (or technically an A-tier, I guess) in the Rec division, and I was on the party card. It was the bottom two of Rec and bottom two of Nov. The hole was extremely open with only one tree dead center fairway. I was shooting probably the worst tourney round of my life, so my drive was caught by a low branch about 25' in the air and stuck.

The disc was in plain sight and there was no way I was leaving it there. I tried to take a minute throwing my water bottle at it attempting to get the disc down. About thirty seconds in, one of the Nov. players complained that I was taking all day. So the closest call of this I could think of was a lost disc call. I told the guy he could complain to the TD, but I'm taking 3 minutes to try to get it down. Now I'm thinking I had 60secs to throw once I got to my lie, what do you think the call is here?

What rule are you questioning ?

If you retrieved your disc within three minutes and continued play then you did nothing wrong.

I just played in my first PDGA tourney. It sounds like some sort of "unofficial" report (with unofficial round ratings?) should go up at http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results soon after the director emails in the numbers? When does that usually happen?

And then the official results come out some time later? What sort of schedule are we talking about, normally? This was a B tier.

The time it takes to report unofficial results varies depending on the TD. At the IOS event I played last weekend, results were posted before I left the parking lot. There should be no reason that they are not posted within a couple of days. Official results occur two weeks after the deadline for results to be turned in. TDs must fill out more paperwork and pay their fees for this to happen. The last deadline was 5/1, so your event will not be in the May update. The TD should have it in for the June update.

The time it takes to report unofficial results varies depending on the TD. At the IOS event I played last weekend, results were posted before I left the parking lot.

And they actually show up on the PDGA website that promptly, as well? No human intervention on the PDGA side?

Thanks!

OK - I do now see the "trophy" icons on the main PDGA shedule page. Looks like ~80% of this weekend's events have results up by now.

What does it mean to say "Noodle Arm"

I've seen the term bandied about on the board and think I know what it means. However, when you assume..... :p

The first thing you do is mark your lie directly under your disc with a mini. Then I believe that you would throw your shot and then try to get your disc down. That way, you really aren't holding the group up as the other members can continue to throw (as long as you throwing your water bottle at the tree isn't messing them up).

Another question that occurred to me and can't find on the board. What do people think about keeping your bag in the car? My primary storage place for my bag so far has been the back of my mini-van, but was wondering what people thought of this. The advantage is that if you are able to fit a round in on the fly you don't have to go home to get your stuff. But, if the van were to sit in the sun all day somewhere could that damage the discs?