• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Can anyone tell me what a beat DX Firebird and a beat DX Teebird fly like? Do they retain their High speed stability when broken in?

With clean form, a teebird will lose low speed fade long before adding much high speed turn. A beat up dx teebird wants to lock into a really nice straight line, you can turn it over but it's not going to get flippy with a reasonable amount of wear.

im sure this has been asked but some terms are confusing me stable is one when a disc is more stable than another does that mean its more overstable or closer to stable on the range i e is a buzz more stable than a hornet also when people say flippy does that mean it anhyzers over or hyzers over right away. Also a flex shot is done with an overstable disc like a wraith, put on an anhyzer then flat then hyzer correct? another one for ya, can you hyzer flip an overstable disc like a wraith?

im sure this has been asked but some terms are confusing me stable is one when a disc is more stable than another does that mean its more overstable or closer to stable on the range i e is a buzz more stable than a hornet also when people say flippy does that mean it anhyzers over or hyzers over right away. Also a flex shot is done with an overstable disc like a wraith, put on an anhyzer then flat then hyzer correct? another one for ya, can you hyzer flip an overstable disc like a wraith?

"Stable" is a term of discontent. lol. It helps more to discuss a disc in terms of both portions of flight stability - high speed and low speed. Personally, I'll use both "stable" and "neutral" for discs that have zero to minimal turn and minimal fade. Overstable tends to be used for discs that have a very heavy fade and are very resistant to turning in the high speed portion of flight. For your Buzz/Hornet example, I'd just reword it to "a buzz is closer to neutral than a hornet". It's less confusing that way. Since people are all over the board in the way they apply these words, you usually just have to take their words in context to figure out what they mean.

Flippy means that it's an understable (or very understable) disc that will turn over easily...although some people call discs flippy when they have poor form and the disc flips from that instead. Yes on the flex shot, but it can be done with discs of different stabilities depending on the power, spin, and height you give the disc...but yeah, usually done with overstable discs.

A Wraith is not an overstable disc unless someone is really underpowering it, causing it to fly more stable than the ratings. When thrown at true speed 11 power, it will turn a bit.

With a true overstable disc design it'll be hard to hyzer flip them until they get really beat in, or unless you add a lot of oat/wind/Hulk muscle. Depends on the particular disc, but generally people don't/can't hyzer flip truly overstable discs (Pig, Viper, Whippet, Teebird, Firebird, etc).

I was explaining Innova plastics to a friend who is an up-and-comer and this got me thinking because I couldn't answer his question:

Why does Star cost more when it doesn't last as long as Champ? Because typically the priices rise as durability rises.

I was explaining Innova plastics to a friend who is an up-and-comer and this got me thinking because I couldn't answer his question:

Why does Star cost more when it doesn't last as long as Champ? Because typically the priices rise as durability rises.

When Innova first introduced CE plastic, it was the leader in durability over thier other choices, which were the DX and Pro blends.

The new plastic held its original flight characteristics far longer than anything else they had made, by far, tree hit after tree hit, crash landing after crash landing.

The one downside it had was, it got slick when it was wet. or cold, which made it hard to grip.

Star was introduced to have a plastic that offered better durability than Pro , or DX, but superior grip, in any conditions.

It does this VERY WELL.

The best feeling plastic from most companies, including Lat GL, Westside Tourney, and Star, are all very similar, and also the most expensive.

Star does beat in faster than Champ, but thats not always a bad thing.
A disc usually gains glide as it wears, extending its distance, Star just gets to the sweet spot faster than Champ does.

It just depends on what you want the disc to do for you, and how soon.

I dont mind paying more for Star plastic, I prefer the grip over Champion, its worth the extra buck or two.

Echo is a scam though. :D

I'd semi-educatedly guess that the price in material is negligible....the higher product price is most likely based upon perceived value, i.e. marketing.

idk if this is dumb or not but what is the difference in flight between a pro wraith compared to a champ for RHFH. Ive noticed many people on this site praise the pro wraith and cant figure out why.

idk if this is dumb or not but what is the difference in flight between a pro wraith compared to a champ for RHFH. Ive noticed many people on this site praise the pro wraith and cant figure out why.
The wraith glides much better in pro IMO. The champ will be more stable out of the box, but take longer to break down then its pro counterpart.

I see from time to time the term "glopto".
I get that it's a mix of gold and opto.
But exactly what is it you should look for in a glopto disc?

I'd semi-educatedly guess that the price in material is negligible....the higher product price is most likely based upon perceived value, i.e. marketing.

The premium plastics do last longer, so the price is partially justified, but,
I agree, when buying the pellets in a reasonably large quantity, the difference in price per gram would be negligible.

What does it mean when people say "I can barely flip the disc" Does this literally mean that the disc flips in mid air?

Or, in particular, I think of the disc rotating clockwise along its trajectory. Moving from an angle like "/" to an angle like "-" and on to an angle like "\". And, if it has time, yes, this will be the difference between a shot turning to the left, a shot going straight, and a shot turning to the right.

All that for e.g. a RHBH player starting off on a hyzer angle (e.g. throwing a hyzer flip, though maybe that should stop when level).

Many discs will flip when thrown at high speeds, especially as they get beaten in.

So, if they can "barely flip" a disc, they're barely throwing fast enough to make that particular disc flip up e.g. from a hyzer angle to level flight.

Okay another question.. Does weight have any affect on how much a disc fade at the end. So if I had two Champ Valk one was 160g and the other was 170g would they both tail off the same at the end if there was no wind whatsoever.

Okay another question.. Does weight have any affect on how much a disc fade at the end. So if I had two Champ Valk one was 160g and the other was 170g would they both tail off the same at the end if there was no wind whatsoever.

Not a simple answer there. Weight is generally one of the least important aspects in disc flight, especially when it's only 5-10 grams. That said, the ways they achieve different weights do often affect the plastic, so sometimes it can show effects in that way. Combined factor with that is that in the 10g+ weight range difference, you'll more than likely be able to get the disc up to speed - or overpowered - which will definitely affect the flight.

So...none of that really matters much in regard to fade, because fade is dependent on when the disc begins to lose spin. With good snap/spin, the disc will either travel farther before fading, or will fade less, depending on the disc (with the Valk, I think it goes farther and/or can hold a turn better/longer). Being able to get a disc up to speed (lower weight, for example) doesn't necessarily mean that it's getting good spin. That depends on proper form.