• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Last year I played Gold on the Friday (2 days) before Doubles took place. Course was fully prepped and in great shape. Really cool experience; met a few of the touring pros (Paul Ulibarri was genuinely nice to me) who were in town getting prepped for USDGC. I'll be out there again on the Saturday (hopefully for a double round) before Doubles this year.

Is there a way to tell a disc's weight without a gram scale?

I bought a few discs at my local play it again sports and the disc weights were not listed.

I bought a few discs at my local play it again sports and the disc weights were not listed.

Accurately? No.

What NuNinja said.
You can purchase an inexpensive model at any big box type store (Wal-Mart, etc.) that will be fairly accurate. If you are looking for exact weight, those units will cost a little more.

Even if the disc had the weight written on the back of it, I believe that it is usually wrong due to the factory weighing multiple discs and taking the average. Best way to get the true weight is to weigh it yourself.

If you don't want to buy a postal or kitchen scale to weigh your disc, you can always go to the grocery store at an off time. I've had cashiers weigh items for me before at the checkout. :)

Alright this is something I should know, but I'm not completely sure on as I haven't really started to do tournaments yet.

I was looking at the scores from DGLO and the top pros are finishing 20-30 under while the AMs are finishing at 6 under at best.. Are the pros playing at different pars for the holes? It would seem that if the Am's are playing at par 3 for every hole over 3 rounds then -6 would make sense... But -30 on par 3 over 3 rounds for every hole is a bit ridiculous.

Am I missing something here? Even looking at the scoring for the pros some of the holes are shown as a a par 4 or par 5...

What is the par for the am players?

Alright this is something I should know, but I'm not completely sure on as I haven't really started to do tournaments yet.

I was looking at the scores from DGLO and the top pros are finishing 20-30 under while the AMs are finishing at 6 under at best.. Are the pros playing at different pars for the holes? It would seem that if the Am's are playing at par 3 for every hole over 3 rounds then -6 would make sense... But -30 on par 3 over 3 rounds for every hole is a bit ridiculous.

Am I missing something here? Even looking at the scoring for the pros some of the holes are shown as a a par 4 or par 5...

What is the par for the am players?

The pro players are that much better.

Ok so then the am players are also playing some of the holes as a par 4 or par 5?

Because it seems to be confusing when looking at the scores...

PRO Winner
Wysocki shoots -32 with a total score of 154

AM Winner:
Hutton shoots -6 with a total score of 156

What's the deal?

Because it seems to be confusing when looking at the scores...

PRO Winner
Wysocki shoots -32 with a total score of 154

AM Winner:
Hutton shoots -6 with a total score of 156

What's the deal?

did they play different courses and/or tees?

yeah, looks like im stupid and didnt total up the par..

Got confused and was under the assumption that they were playing all holes as a par 3.. fail on my part.

yeah, looks like im stupid and didnt total up the par..

Got confused and was under the assumption that they were playing all holes as a par 3.. fail on my part.

The AM portion of the GLO was played at Hudson Mills (Monster and Original I believe) and the Pro event was at Kensington on the Toboggan course

did they play different courses and/or tees?

That's the only explanation for that craziness besides a typo. It's not unusual for a pro to win with a 40 under for the tournament and the amateur with a 4 under. They really are just that much better.

But as far as the total stroke difference you mentioned, I would guess that the pros and ams played different courses and/or different tee/pin placements. The pros are pretty much always going to play in the toughest configuration that a course has, but if there's an alternate layout it wouldn't be unusual for different divisions to play it that way.

yeah they did play different courses. Like i said though part of the confusion was that i though they just played everything as a par 3.. not sure why but i did lol

Thats insane with the 40 under over 3 rounds lol.. at least i know i could hang with the AM's for now ha

Why do I get more distance with a roc than a beast? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Also I tend to not be able to shoot straight, I end up getting a nasty curve (hyzer?) to the left.

Newbie here too but the Beast is probably to much of a disc for you. You need a lot more arm speed for it than the Roc. I bought all high speed discs when I started a few months ago and after reading all 380 pages of this thread I took all discs with speed over 9 out of my bag and started throwing longer and straighter almost immediately!!!!! I can now throw some 10's with good results. I am sure others will chime in and tell you about form and other threads but start by taking ALL high speed discs out of your bag for now. You'll be glad you did

/\ /\ /\
This is true, you need to tone down disc speed in the beginning. If you can't throw the disc straight for a solid 220'-250', you need less speed. Some discs are meant more for hyzer, and annhyzer shots, but for a newer player a good rule of thumb is to find a disc you can throw with as little hyzer as possible. (Less Fade) then incorporate faster discs for specific throws. Find your throw, then find a good disc that matches it.

Good Discs for Gapers (Newbs)

Almost any mid-range will do you pretty solid. Don't worry about what kind of San Marino Roc you have, that won't mean crap for now. There mostly for geeky collectors (like myself) any way. Avoid the Roc3's and such these are tough mids to throw.
Leopards
Valkyries
Any DX plastic for about 6 months
DisCraft XL's

For flickers, find a driver with a speed around 9 or 10 and you'll be set for a while

Good Discs for Gapers (Newbs)

Almost any mid-range will do you pretty solid. Don't worry about what kind of San Marino Roc you have, that won't mean crap for now. There mostly for geeky collectors (like myself) any way. Avoid the Roc3's and such these are tough mids to throw.
Leopards
Valkyries

Any DX plastic for about 6 months

These are the EXACT discs I went to. I found a DX Leopard and Valk on the course and started throwing them. After about a month my arm speed has increased so now they are a little too flippy for me, but they helped me a ton. I still use them, but start them on a Hyzer and they flatten out and finish very nice and predictable. Good Luck

I have also increased my distance from barely 200' to max of about 350'

Last edited: