• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Generally, any neutral stable mid and/or putter will work great for form problems (Fuse, Aurora MS, Coyote, MD2, Ontario Roc, beat to hell Rancho Roc, Aviar, Magic, APX, Magnet, etc).

how about the new Buzzz SS?

that's one that might even stay in the bag and not just be a "training" single purpose disc like the comet ... I've held the comet and don't like the feel of the rim/bead in my hand

That sounds nice. But a bit off topic. Was my question too stupid to get answered? I will repeat: I have been wanting to try an Eagle lately. Should I spend the money on a nice older one or just go get a dx one to try? Aside from the X and L are there any other differences in the various Eagle molds to be aware of when buying them? Thanks!

Don't waste the money on an old one. New Eagles fly well. Try a DX Eagle-X. It will break in well, eventually being able to cover a bunch of lines. If you like the stability of a new DX, then get a Star EX to go with your now seasoned DX. The Star will eventually beat in, but it'll take a lot longer than the DX. There are some folks who really like Champ Eagles, but I'm not one of them. In my experience, they're a bit more overstable, and don't have as much glide, although I've heard that the newest ones with the flight numbers on the stamp are supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't tried one yet.

^ Yeah this. The only real run differences to be aware of is I believe the 10x Champs (especially the flat tops) are practically little Firebirds or Banshees in disguise, very overstable. Might have been the 11x Champs, I can't remember though. DX EX are great, S.EX are really good, Champ ELs wear in really straight and Leopard like but faster, and supposedly the new opaque 12x Champs (w/ the flight #s) are really good too.

I like to dabble in all the plastics, I usually use a heavy Champ EX moderate wind and can't miss flex shots b/c of the lack of glide, 165-170 S.EX's for workhorse duty and distance and either a Champ EL or beat DX EX for understable.

how about the new Buzzz SS?

that's one that might even stay in the bag and not just be a "training" single purpose disc like the comet ... I've held the comet and don't like the feel of the rim/bead in my hand
Yeah, to be completely honest I'm not a fan of the Buzzz SS as a training disc b/c they wear in kind of squirrely and I'd rather have a beat ESP Buzzz to pair with a Buzzz anyway. If you don't like beads then get a Fuse, it's the most Comet-like you can get in a Buzz-like profile/package. Gold lines are very neutral and glidey, heavy Optos are less finicky but wear in great, they're both great.

Last edited:
Yeah, to be completely honest I'm not a fan of the Buzzz SS as a training disc b/c they wear in kind of squirrely and I'd rather have a beat ESP Buzzz to pair with a Buzzz anyway. If you don't like beads then get a Fuse, it's the most Comet-like you can get in a Buzz-like profile/package. Gold lines are very neutral and glidey, heavy Optos are less finicky but wear in great, they're both great.

Like I said ... I'm kinda lookin for "finiky" to sniff out any O.A.T. and help me realize when I'm doing it and try and identify the motion and type of throw I'm trying that's causing it. and if I throw without .. it shows as well .

There's a fine line between finicky and OAT intolerant. You can have a throw as smooth as a baby's bottom and a squirrely disc wouldn't tell you anything. Get a GL Fuse, I highly doubt you'll dislike it and if you do somehow, you'll have no problem unloading it here in the Marketplace.

An Aurora MS is a good option too, it's beadless.

I wish to encourage my girlfriend to begin playing, and would like to buy her her own disc(s) in encouragement. She has zero experience (though she put one of my Comets into the drink like a champ!).
I see that the Buzzz is often recommended for beginners. Do y'all agree? Is pro-D OK (which I can get @ 160g), or would Z be preferred? Thanks for replies.

I wish to encourage my girlfriend to begin playing, and would like to buy her her own disc(s) in encouragement. She has zero experience (though she put one of my Comets into the drink like a champ!).
I see that the Buzzz is often recommended for beginners. Do y'all agree? Is pro-D OK (which I can get @ 160g), or would Z be preferred? Thanks for replies.

That's a tough call b/c everybody is a little different. If she's as much a noobette as you claim, I'd get her a lid <160g like a Polecat, Rattler, Gopher, Birdie, etc and teach her how to throw smooth and loose. That would bring her up to speed the quickest and keep her out of the rough hopefully b/c they're the most frisbee like and probably the most familiar. If she just wants to have fun and hang out with you then a DX Leopard and/or a D Buzzz would be fine, she probably doesn't have the arm for a heavy Z Buzzz (unless she bombed your Comet into the drink ;) ).

There's quite a few threads on this topic if you feel like searching, put GF in quotation marks in the search bar and it should find something.

It's basically Innova's pro plastic. Innova molds their discs for them, so their P line is pro, their S line is star and their C line is champion.

Thanks, Brother Dave.
I should've used the search function first, but I follow this catch-all thread, too.

For GF, the beauty is that nothing 'disc' is familiar to her, but she's eager to join me on the course. I've played disc sports all my life, she doesn't know 'frisbee'.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Thanks, Brother Dave.
I should've used the search function first, but I follow this catch-all thread, too.

For GF, the beauty is that nothing 'disc' is familiar to her, but she's eager to join me on the course. I've played disc sports all my life, she doesn't know 'frisbee'.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

No prob, just letting you know that the info is there if you dig for it. :)

Actually, your best bet might be getting one of those Discraft beginner packs that have like the APX, D Buzzz, and I think Wildcat, so that she can try out a few options to see what she takes to best.

The innova starter pack comes in a 150 class version with a cheetah, shark and aviar iirc, also a pretty good option for a beginner like that.

What is the difference between Innova's Pro and Pro Line plastic?

depends on the mold- but i'd say about $10-15 usually.

ba_dum_tsh.jpg

i have no meaningful answer to your question.

Pro has durability between DX and star, and has good glide. usually costs about 10$. Proline is old Champion, between CE and champion, and is valued more than champion. It has the durability of champion / CE.

heavier discs for a newb

I use a 150 leopard and throw ok with it. I got a 150 because i heard heavier weights are for veterans. what are some symptoms that my disc is too advanced? what would happen if i threw a 175 nuke? would i still like it or would it just suck?

thanks.