• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

If you have been playing for as long as it says, a nuke is definatly too fast of a driver for you. Discs are designed to fly at certain speeds, and if you can't get a disc up to speed, it will act more overstable than intended. What can happen then is to compensate for the overstability, you can develop form flaws such as OAT, hindering your distance and accuracy with slower discs, and hurting your game in the long run

As for weight, lower weight disc can get up to speed more easily, and can be easier on the arm. As for higher weight discs being only for more advanced players, that is only kind of true. Discs that weigh more will be harder to get up to speed, and can act more overstable.

Don't go and buy a nuke, stick with you leopard for awhile, and learn to throw mids and putters too

I use a 150 leopard and throw ok with it. I got a 150 because i heard heavier weights are for veterans. what are some symptoms that my disc is too advanced? what would happen if i threw a 175 nuke? would i still like it or would it just suck?

Let me try to give a universal answer to this question:

Figure out how far you throw on flat ground with no wind. Feel free to inflate your distance for the internet, but be honest with yourself when choosing discs. ;)

Pull up Joe's Flight Chart (JFC) at Gotta Go Gotta Throw

Match your distance to the "power requirement" on JFC.
Power 1: Less than 175'
Power 2: 175 – 225'
Power 3: 225 – 275'
Power 4: 275 – 325'
Power 5: 325 – 375'
Power 6: More than 375'

Choose discs that fall comfortably within your power range.

If you throw a disc that is beyond your power range, it will teach you to use bad form. This will hurt your game in the long run, because bad habits are very difficult to un-learn.

Nuke is power level 6, so unless you are throwing 375' or more, it will probably suck.

thanks Tri and Mon,

perfect examples i was looking for. i didn't know it would teach bad form.

Nope...

My question, has it ever been known to work for a group of people to petition a company to do/release another run of a disc that was OOP. Or have there been any attempts at persuading them to do such a thing? For say LE Comets?

Same disc, different weights.

How are they affected?

Tried searching, but my search skills apparently suck...

wow, there has been some bad advice since Frank got banned...

Okay so why was frank banned? I search it and it comes up with a ton of posts because somebody always says "if frank wasn't banned" etc.. in a post and it brings that stuff up. He seemed helpful? Was he also hateful? Sorry to threadjack, its just been bothering me everytime i see something about him being banned in a post.

his last point was stupid. he was telling some guy he was over-valuing a beat up 9x eagle or something. cited sources and everything.

the new rules suck.

trying to inform an uninformed "buyer" that he's being ripped off now results in infractions if you do it in "public".

basically, if you want to b*tch about someone's prices, you have to PM them.

oh ... really? That seems like a really lame reason to get banned? Oh well.. Im gonna keep quiet so I dont get banned! hah.. (thanks guys)

back to the thread...

it's not that weight affects stability it's that extra weight adds to the gyroscopic effect. search term for those interested is "gyroscopic effect"

frank is on 60 day ban. this isn't his first banishment. he is very knowledgeable about the game but he is also a bit abrasive in his posting. but he is the same in real life.

As "abrasive" and disregarding as he can be elsewhere (from what you guys are saying) He's been very patient and helpful with well thought out and explanatory posts in here, very uncharacteristically as several of you have pointed out.

For the benefit of all noobs is there a way he can have a "username" created like "banned frank" or "Deliciously Banned" so he can continue his very beneficial posts in this thread whilst not being allowed to post anywhere else in the forum?

It's not like he's not creeping as a guest keeping up on post or anything, he's just not able to "post" in here at least admitting it's him.