• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Probably any decent digital scale for kitchens will work.

Anyone have an idea of a good scale to get for weighing discs?

Get one that will weigh in 1/10th grams or better. Most kitchen scales won't do that. Not a huge deal, but if you're looking for gram accuracy, you need something that will weigh in less than full gram increments. Also try to stick with one that will put your target items in the middle of it's range.

This site has tons of them...fair prices but not the best. Be sure to pick up the recommended calibration weight, too. Definitely worth the extra few bucks. The 300g model on this page is a good one. You can spend a lot more but it's really not necessary for discs as long as you look for the specs you need. I've heard mostly bad things about the Ameriscale brand and the similar knockoffs and nameless products on the market (Amazon is full of them). Jennings is a solid brand.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/buy-jennings-jscale-scales.html

What are the best angles for videoing for throw analysis? Looking to get some critique, but I wanna make sure I give the clearest information possible.

looking on dgc i see that the regular pna aviar and classic aviar have slightly different flight ratings, is the mold different? comparing them side by side i don't see any difference.

At what point is it a good idea to move from fairway drivers to higher speed drivers? Say I can throw eagles about 290-310, is now a good time to move to speed 9+, or should i try for another xx feet with fairway first?

At what point is it a good idea to move from fairway drivers to higher speed drivers? Say I can throw eagles about 290-310, is now a good time to move to speed 9+, or should i try for another xx feet with fairway first?

I am curious about this as well I am throwing an average of about 275-350 with my eagle....and I was wondering when I should move up...and what would be the best step up from an eagle. At the same time it is no big deal because I destroy tons of people throwing my eagle.

Eagles can certainly go farther than that without a great deal of effort. So keep trying to max out your D (with all your discs really) b/c it only helps your game. But there's nothing wrong with dabbling with a distance driver by now to see if you can get some easier D. I think Valks are good first distance drivers.

I am curious about this as well I am throwing an average of about 275-350 with my eagle....and I was wondering when I should move up...and what would be the best step up from an eagle. At the same time it is no big deal because I destroy tons of people throwing my eagle.

I'd personally say that 275-350 is a really big gap. I'd say work on narrowing that down before adding anything first, even if you end up only averaging 300, it's better to work on a throw that's consistent, so you can see what helps best. That's just my opinion though. I typically tell people 350 is a good mark to move to faster stuff, but I also know people who benefited from adding in a speed 9 at around 300 just to figure out nose angles more, then all their distances jump. It depends on if you know enough to figure out if the faster disc is helping or hurting.

A BIG POINT: when the disc fades, you should not see the top of it as it hooks left. If you do, no matter what, you're not nose down enough. It took me over a year to finally accomplish this, but that pushed me from hitting about 380' to 450' with a few weeks of "dialing it in"

What are the best angles for videoing for throw analysis? Looking to get some critique, but I wanna make sure I give the clearest information possible.

I personally prefer to look from the back and left a bit for RHBH. Imagine 7 o'clock camera positioning. Though some people prefer directly from behind.

element is pretty flippy. its like a buzzz ss, only maybe a little less stable. the plastic isnt great either from the two ive thrown.

I don't mind the E plastic - I think it has a nice feel to it. But I thought the Element was the flippiest out-of-the-box mid I've ever thrown. I'm sure there are others - I haven't thrown everything - but I'd say it's quite a bit more understable than a Buzzz SS. I have a Buzzz SS now, and while I can flip it, I don't find it to be nearly as drastic. Maybe I got a freak one?

I used to have it my bag when I couldn't flip anything, and that disc did the trick. Then I learned how to throw more better. :)

Alright, my turn for a dumb question. Was there ever such a thing as KC Pro Teebird-L (TL)'s? I think the answer is no.. Thanks

Not a dumb question at all. But Im pretty positive the answer is no.

The first run CE TL is the one you really want. Pricey, but if you hafta have it ...

So 2 questions:

1). I have been playing about 6 months (basically all recreationally) and have a history of Ultimate and Baseball. Why should I not throw a Boss?

2). I've been reading up on the rules regarding minis, marking, and lies and am still very confused. Could you explain it to me so maybe I can understand it?

Thanks!

So 2 questions:

1). I have been playing about 6 months (basically all recreationally) and have a history of Ultimate and Baseball. Why should I not throw a Boss?

2). I've been reading up on the rules regarding minis, marking, and lies and am still very confused. Could you explain it to me so maybe I can understand it?

Thanks!

1). Because the Boss is a very nose angle sensitive disc, and requires a power level not really used in ultimate (I also play). It's also very stable, borderline overstable, and will breed bad habits in trying to get it to fly straight, due to your lack of nose angle control and arm speed/snap.

2). Once you throw your disc, you may place a mini at its front edge in a direct line with the basket, called the "line of play." The back edge of the mini must touch the front edge of the disc, with this "line of play" going straight through the center of both the mini and the disc. This is the only way you are allowed to pick up the same disc and throw it again. You can also use it for putting, because you are allowed to then place your foot on the line of play behind (not on) the mini, instead of behind the disc, gaining you a couple of inches towards the basket. You can elect to use a mini whenever you choose, but you only need to if you want to throw the original disc again, or if your throw goes out of bounds, but that's a different topic.

Ok thanks for the quick reply:

1). So what would recommend I use instead of the Boss? And when would you consider someone "eligibile" to use it?

2). All marking/throwing is done from behind the disc and not the side(s) or front?

Ok thanks for the quick reply:

1). So what would recommend I use instead of the Boss? And when would you consider someone "eligibile" to use it?

2). All marking/throwing is done from behind the disc and not the side(s) or front?

1). My recommendation is always for beginners to start off with just a putter and neutral/stable midrange, both of their choice. The Comet, Roc, and Buzzz are all popular choices, but there are several other available options. For a beginning driver I recommend the Cheetah, but the Gazelle and Leopard are both also viable options. There are a few more, but those are my top three beginner drivers. I'd honestly say someone is ready to give a Boss a shot when they're pushing their Cheetah/Gazelle/Leopard 350'+ (I was throwing Gazelles 380' before I could get a Boss to fly well) consistently, on flat ground and with low wind help. The issue with "eligible" is that you're eligible whenever you want, but you're gonna plateau early. If you start with slower discs, and build a strong foundation, you'll do much better with a Boss once that foundation is built up.

2). The "line of play" is an imaginary line that extends from the pole of the basket straight through the center of your disc. You can mark with a mini behind the disc if you'd like, but you must still be touching the back edge of the disc. When you throw, you can not have any supporting points past the back edge of your marker disc (mini or actual disc), and you must have at least one support point on the line of play behind the marker disc, no farther away than 30cm (about 10 inches).

Latest posts