• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina / Tennessee

Peter S

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hi all

I am planning a trip to Boone, North Carolina. We plan to play Ashe & Highland Hills in one direction. Towards Tennessee we were thinking of Harmon Hills, Warriors path, Winged Deer. I see the reviews for Harmon Hills are off the chart. Is it really that great? I see the reviewers think so.

First question any one who did not write a review of Harmon Hills want to chime in? Is it really in the class of Idlewild?

It will just be my wife and I. We are white level rec- players who love open to fairly wooded scenic courses. We will be coming up through GA and stopping at IDGC so we will have our fill of woods.

I see Idlewild is about 6 hours north of the Boone, NC area. It makes me wonder if I should try to make a run up to Idlewild sometime during the week. This may burn 2 days as I am sure we can drive up and play. However, may need to get a hotel room for 1 night & drive back to Boone. We are from Florida so who knows when I will be this close again!

Second question. Should I blow another 12 or more hours round trip to play Idlewild or stay put in Boone and do the day trips. If I do go up to KY what should I skip in NC or Tenn?

We will drive back home to Florida through Charlotte so that area is covered as well.

That's alot of drive time just for one course. I'd play a few of the other biggies in the Cincy area (Mt. Airy, Lincoln Ridge, Osage Grove) if I were to make that level of time commitment. Richmond Hills, Elk Mountain, Glenn C. Hilton are certainly worth playing if you are in the NC/TN area. If your coming up I95 to I26 to I85, I'd hit up Chris Saul and Stoney Hill too.

I reviewed Harmon; and so, you may not want my opinion! :) The five courses you have listed are a great group. If your Hippo/Augusta/IDGC reviews are any indication; you may like Winged Deer and/or Warriors more than you like Harmon; but the trio is great. PM me if you want some inside info a couple of "unknowns in the Boone area." These would be "beat downs" though; as will Stoney Hill, if you go that route.

Definitely make the most of nc/tn. So much in that area. Limit time in the car and maximize time on the coursr

If you're not a fan of wooded courses, Idlewild probably won't be worth the drive. You probably won't enjoy Ashe County much either. I seem to remember a lot of it was in the woods as well.

Ashe County has 10 holes in the woods, 2 holes half in the woods (the big downhills), and 6 open or fairly open holes.

I'm a huge Ashe County fan, and people I trust say Harmon Hills in the real deal. Idlewild may be fabulous, but it can't possibly be so much better than those two to warrant the long drive.

Ashe County has two sets of tees or baskets, not just shorter and longer but markedly different. I recommend two rounds there, if you have the stamina.

I have not played Idlewild so have no opinion there.

The original 18 at Harmon fits your White level plan and ability. The extra 9 holes are tight, wooded and tough. Fun, but with your wofe it may be too much. Depends on the woman.

Highland Hills in Wilkesboro is very hilly and challenging. Fun, but if you are normally a flat lander it may wear you out. Yadkinville is nearby, and very good. Plus it is less physically challenging. Much more casual player friendly.

Ashe County is awesome and varied. Some fun open holes, and enough elevation to make your thighs scream. If you hit Ashe County, the Ashe County Cheese Factory and Boondocks in West Jefferson are worth a stop. Boondocks is a brewery/restaurant with good food and brews, and the cheese factory has tons of cheese, food and munchies.

Enjoy the trip.

Thank for the feedback thus far. The trip is for mid September after Labor day. 2 weeks total from south Florida up to North Carolina. Still far away I know, but need to think about making reservation for rental cabin, Hurry in for best selection.

I think with the long drive alreay behind us and the long trip home still to come, we will not make the extra haul to Idlewild.

The plan for now is to take the cabin in Boone area - Banner Elk, NC for 7 nights. With that said I would like to go to courses within 1 - 2 hours of Boone. Thinking of trying to do Ashe & Highland hills in 1 day. Sawmills & Glenn C. Hilton 2'nd day. Harmaon hills 3rd day (allowed full day). Warriors Path & Winged Deer 4th day.

Fontana Dam is showing over 3 hours from the cabin in Banner Elk, NC so it looks like that will stay in the wish list for now. May be able to squeeze 1 more day of d/golf in if there is anything good I left out.

One the way up and or back we are thinking via Charlotte for Renaissance Park, Plantation Ruins & Robert L. Smith park. May also consider Winthrop.
If we run out of time what can I scratch from this portion?

Definitely plan on Winthrop around that time. The course is normally "transforming" into Winthrop Gold in mid September. By the last weekend of September, it's fully put together. And it's pretty damn cool.

the Tail is right there, but coming from Banner Elk he wouldn't take it.

Can Harmon Hills and Ashe near Boone, NC be done in the same day or should I stay halfway in between and make it a 2 day adventure? I might be driving either 4 or 8 hours just to get in that region the day before.

Not sure what your plan is dND, but I would say a round at Harmon Hills and a round at Richmond Hill or Grand Central Station in SC would be a better option (especially if you're heading to Stoney Hill). Morningside and Victor Ashe are close too. I just feel like there are a ton of great options around Ashe County that you won't want to leave without playing more courses in the area. I know I didn't. I would've easily skipped a day in Charlotte for another day up north if I didn't have my pup with me.