• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

nose angles

tylerc

Double Eagle Member
hey so in another thread I started I was given some advice to get a nose down throw with drivers and all discs really. but I have been throwing drivers nose up and it kills D. but on trying to angle the nose down I tried turning my wrist down, holding the disc nose down and regripping, but these r very uncomfortable I moved to a standard 4 finger power grip. but use to throw a 3 finger and that partially achieves the nose down angle I need. any suggestions on getting this angle corrected??

sounds like your getting there to me :thmbup: Just work with it, if a 4 finger power grip is new territory for you I am sure it will take some time for it to become second nature

Sometimes, there is no magic or easy trick to fix something. Practice, practice, practice. Sounds like you are on the right track.

so keep trying the 4 finger? should I angle my wrist down? to get that at the right angle it hurts my wrist.. maybe ill do the regripping thing??

What happened when you put your wrist into the uncomfartable position and how uncomfortable was it?

Sometimes you just have to man up ;)

I had a friend that was new to dg. He suffered all the normal issues.
On a 300+ water carry i taught him nose down and he threw the hole like a champ. After he said it was too uncomfortable. After that i stopped giving help...

I was under the impression that the thumb is more important than the other fingers for nose control.

What happened when you put your wrist into the uncomfartable position and how uncomfortable was it?

Sometimes you just have to man up ;)

I had a friend that was new to dg. He suffered all the normal issues.
On a 300+ water carry i taught him nose down and he threw the hole like a champ. After he said it was too uncomfortable. After that i stopped giving help...

hate when u give someone advice and they do it once. and go back to their old ways

I was under the impression that the thumb is more important than the other fingers for nose control.
so.. more thumb pressure?

Have you seen this:
discorientation01.jpg

And this:
discorientation02.jpg

From HERE?

If you haven't, I'm assuming you haven't read/seen the related articles either. Forgive my ignorance if you have but it was the very first thing that came to mind when I read your thread title+post. Instead of trying to describe everything myself I figured a link would be appropriate.

EDIT: Those pictures may look like hyzer and flat/anhyzer but upon release it is very much nose angle.

Last edited:
When I play with new people and they have issues with nose angle it looks like to me they are trying to throw it up in order to add distance. Altitude does not equal distance. Think about throwing it out and not up.

When you have somewhat better control of nose angles, then you can start throwing higher lines to achieve more distance.

Have your playing partners check your arm position during your throw & follow through to be sure it's not your arm angle. If you're going from low to high, that could cause a nose up flight.

Thumb position is more important. The closer your thumb is to the rim, the easier it is to get the nose down. (As a rule of thumb... Yes, yes I did.)

There was a thread about this a little while back. I thought just as you did, but then there was a guy who played with some of the pros that taught the exact opposite. Apparently some of the big arms also have their thumb on the flight plate when throwing for distance. The way he stated it was thumb pressure actually is the most important. (I personally feel like I keep the nose down better with my thumb close to the rim, but I'm also using a decent amount of pressure.)

The right grip and the right wrist angle go a long way. Then, just start throwing the disc into the ground. Come up a little each time until it's just barely above the ground. When the disc never goes more than 10 feet off the ground you're getting there.

Latest posts