• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

not possible to paint with pre-mixed powder dye?

McGhetty517

Birdie Member
I'm pretty sure this question has been answered somewhere on the forums but I couldn't find a definite answer. I have a ton of pre-mixed powder dye and I wanted to give painting a try. Is it possible to use this or do I have to get a new box of powder dye? If it is possible what ratio do I mix the dye with Shaving cream laundry detergent? Thanks

I don't do much painting, but when I do, I just use the mixed powder/water and heat it up; no shaving cream, soap, alcohol, or anything else. Apply it to the disc, then wipe off, check the color intensity, and repeat if necessary.
I do mix my dyes up fairly strong/concentrated though- 1 package to about a quart of water.

When I paint, I plop a tsp of powder into a painting pallet, fill a dropper with acetone, and just mix it that way. That keeps it nice and potent. You could try using pre-mixed, but I'd test it on your least favorite disc first.

I do powder and alcohol. I'm sure that will work though, but I haven't tried it. I only paint and use like 1 tbsp powder and 2 tbsp alchohol.

I don't do much painting, but when I do,
interesting-man.jpg

I just use the mixed powder/water and heat it up; no shaving cream, soap, alcohol, or anything else.

yeaaaaaa

Lol that was quick...@northern I went to get that stencil you hooked me up with cut by a plotter. She wanted to charge me 10 bucks an hour and 3 bucks for the vinyl man!

Id appreciate it! At the moment I'm broke as ever dude I'm attempting to sell my standard and a 5x JK valkyrie so I can buy this fade bag. Its gonna be a little while until I can pay you for it. Ill keep you posted though.

Lol that was quick...@northern I went to get that stencil you hooked me up with cut by a plotter. She wanted to charge me 10 bucks an hour and 3 bucks for the vinyl man!

Jeez...Did you at least give her the "Cartman in the human cent-iPod" quote when she gave those numbers? Or ask her to spit on it first?

ive been mixing powder rit with acetone. like an ounce of acetone with a quarter pack of rit, that way thers alot of rit "sand" at the bottom. if you get water in it it kills the mixture and wont dye nearly as good so try to avoid that. and make sure you do it outside so you dont get hi... unless you want that lol smaller brushes work better and test the colors in the rim or something to see what theyre gonna look like and how fast the color dyes. unless its someone else disc then find a spare in the same color to test on ayyyyy

I gotta get some more powder then...that's the main theme I'm getting...would I still mix it with shaving cream or laundry detergent?

Only thing with painting with acetone and powder mix is i would only reccomend it.if.youre good with watercolors. otherwise you will have many many many different levels of color and it will look unnatural if youre trying to get one solid color unless thats what youre aiming for ofcourse. the color will set almost instantly which is why you will get multiple layers of color. if there is a way to combat this please share.

You can paint with premixed powder, I do it all the time for shadows and shading etc. Its just harder to work with if you dont thicken it up. Mix it with a little sc and it will stay where you put it better.

Latest posts