• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OB Questions

Torpedo Vegas

Par Member
Im a pretty new player and since I have been playing in minis recently a few OB situations have come up that I wanted to get clarified.

What everyone says is if any part of your disc is touching dirt it is considered to be inbounds and all the scenarios involve this. In all these situations concrete and pavement are considered to be OB.

We have one hole that has an area with sloped concrete behind it and it is not uncommon for a disc to land on that area and then slide to the bottom. When the disc comes to rest it is still on the concrete with only the very bottom edge supporting it on the ground. Is that inbounds?

Another hole has a park road running beside. The hole is located by an area without a curb for water drainage purposes. This area will wash sand and dirt into the road. If a disc comes to rest in the road, but touching dirt that has been washed out into the road is it in bounds? In that situation is the loose sand considered to be an inbound playing surface on top of an OB playing surface? If a pavement is considered OB and not the road can a erosion expand the inbound area onto the road?

This one I will have to take a closer look at next time I am out. We have a bridge that runs over a river with a large concrete slope under and on the side of it. The slope has a tree that is either at the bottom of it or coming through the concrete close to the bottom. If the tree is coming through the concrete and has exposed ground is it considered to be inbounds even though it is surrounded be a very large area that is out of bounds? The tree appears to collect debris that slides down the slope so if the disc is stopped by this debris that may be resting on top of concrete is it considered to be inbounds? What if the debris is connected to ground? I will be playing the course this weekend and will go take a better look. If concrete is OB and not specifically the very large area covered by concrete can you have small areas inside it that are considered inbounds?

If water is OB and a disc spikes into a shallow area and is not fully submerged is it considered to be OB?

The sloped concrete scenario where the disc is touching the inbounds area(dirt) is the only disc that is inbounds.
A piece of dirt in the middle of a bunch of concrete is still considered part of the concrete unless your TD makes it a special in-bounds area. Same deal with that tree. It is OB unless the TD says it is IB.
In the water a disc has to be touching dry land to be in-bounds.

The disk has to be surounded by out of bounds to be OB. The one senario of the concrete pad that the disk slid to other side is IB it is touching IB. The water senario the disk is OB, the disk is surouned by water. The one at the edge of the road the sand I would call IB because the pavement is OB not the sand even though it moves. The reason I would have a moving OB line is because there is no way the tell where the road edge is under the sand; so the pavement is OB sand is IB.

The one at the edge of the road the sand I would call IB because the pavement is OB not the sand even though it moves. The reason I would have a moving OB line is because there is no way the tell where the road edge is under the sand; so the pavement is OB sand is IB.
This has me wanting to check the rule book, but my immediate thought was if there's asphalt under the disc (and said asphalt surrounds the disc), I'd call it OB, regardless of how much sand sits atop the asphalt. Whether or not sand gets washed/blown into an OB road shouldn't affect the whether or not it's OB. Admittedly, sometimes it can be a bit ambiguous determining where fairway ends and road starts, but a good TD will usually lay down a flour line to eliminate that sort of ambiguity.

sloped concrete= probably in most of the time. Park road= In if pavement is ob, Out if road edge is ob. Bridge= Out if ob is defined by area. Maybe In if only concrete ob. but if your over one meter in and can't take relief=stroke. Now with that said, I think all these scenarios would be self explanatory if the rule was simply if the disc is touching or over the ob line it's out. All most forgot the water shot, Out, it's surrounded.

Last edited:
These all depend on how the tournament director wrote up the Instructions.

Officially there is no PDGA rule that says concrete, sloped or not, is OB. Concrete just happens to be a substance on the ground that usually provides a very definitive mark compared to other things, so local powers that be sometimes assign it as either a boundary not to go over, or have it be OB itself. A good rule of thumb is that if even a sliver of the disc is touching in bounds territory, then you're in bounds.

But this may all be irrelevant, as the OP is dealing with a "local rule". Unless were familiar with that course or the people who run his minis, we really don't have a good answer for him.

A lot of people are saying "touching" in-bounds, but I think it should really be phrased as "if any part of the disc is in-bounds," without the touching. A disc resting on OB concrete but hanging over inbounds grass is still in-bounds, I am pretty sure, even though it is not technically touching in-bounds. I hate to be so nit-picky but I think this subtlety could actually be important every now and then.

More people need to read the actual rules. OB is not defined by the surface material, but by OB lines. Sometimes that line can be the boundary between two different materials, like the edge of a concrete surface and the grass, but it is still defined by the line, and not the surface.

The sloped concrete scenario where the disc is touching the inbounds area(dirt) is the only disc that is inbounds.
A piece of dirt in the middle of a bunch of concrete is still considered part of the concrete unless your TD makes it a special in-bounds area. Same deal with that tree. It is OB unless the TD says it is IB.
In the water a disc has to be touching dry land to be in-bounds.

This^^^

More people need to read the actual rules. OB is not defined by the surface material, but by OB lines. Sometimes that line can be the boundary between two different materials, like the edge of a concrete surface and the grass, but it is still defined by the line, and not the surface.

That^^^^

Agreed. And OB lines are really OB planes.

Not trying to criticize the OP, but it probably would have taken less time to read the OB rule than to type up their post.