• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OB & rules question?

swellerdiscgolf

Birdie Member
2 questions regarding rules....

1. Is throwing over OB considered OB? A gentleman I played with this weekend said that you are suppose to go around OB (no mando) if not there is a stroke added to your score. (OB in question was a thick grove of trees, and a baseball field)

2. How far back, left, or right from your marker disc are you allowed to stand? Say you throw your first shot 10' into the rough behind a tree. Are you allowed to back up 4 or 5 feet to give yourself a better shot? Or can you go four or five feet to the left or right as long as you don't advance yourself past your marker?

I have never played in a tournament, just with friends who really don't care about this stuff, but my curiosity was peaked when we got to talking about OB, and my buddies lie behind a tree.

1. that dude was drunk

2. I think you get 12" from the marker, a meter from OB... and not sure what you get for unplayable lies (I always defer to others in similar situations). I am sure that someone else can reply with the correct answer.

Measurements are all in metric.
You are supposd to place a supporting point within 30cm (which is about 11.5 inches) directly behind your mark on the line of play. The LOP is determined by taking a line from the target, directly through the center of your mark. No side to side is allowed - regardless of whether it's no closer to the hole.

There are instances where you are granted casual relief, like if there is casual water (i.e. a big puddle, or a stream that is not OB), or if you land inside a large solid obstacle such as a stump or fallen tree that can't be moved, where you can take UP TO 5 meters straight back on the LOP without penalty (again - no lateral movement is allowed).

The question about throwing over OB is BS - you are only considered OB if you LAND in OB. It only becomes a question if you never make it back in - you need to know where you were LAST IN BOUNDS to determine where to mark your lie.

2 questions regarding rules....

1. Is throwing over OB considered OB?

No. All that matters on OB is where your disc comes to a rest on its own power.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80309-out-of-bounds

2. How far back, left, or right from your marker disc are you allowed to stand? Say you throw your first shot 10' into the rough behind a tree. Are you allowed to back up 4 or 5 feet to give yourself a better shot? Or can you go four or five feet to the left or right as long as you don't advance yourself past your marker?

Try to picture an imaginary line that goes from the center of the polehole, straight through your marker and beyond. This is known as the line of play. Some part of your body (usually your foot, but it can be anything) must be on that line up to 12" behind your marker as the time of release. As far as trees and other dense foliage go, if you put your disc in that mess, you have to get yourself in there and use a legal stance to get it out. In another circumstance, lets say your disc lands in a puddle (casual water). You may move your lie backwards up to 5 meters on the line of play for relief.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80304-stance-subsequent-to-teeing-off
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80305-obstacles-and-relief

If the situation is so dire that a lie is not playable, a player may choose to declare it as such, but there's a one stroke penalty.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80306

I have never played in a tournament, just with friends who really don't care about this stuff, but my curiosity was peaked when we got to talking about OB, and my buddies lie behind a tree.

The thing is, even in tournaments, particularly in the lower divisions, most rules infractions are never called. I see people step on their markers all the time, or step past their lies on putts. I'm sure in higher divisions competitors get more technocratic about rules, but tournaments are not the formal environment the rules seem to make them out to be.

Last edited:
tournaments aren't formal?...guess you don't play in the open division?..i have seen people called for anything and everything you can imagine. i suggest to anyone playing tourneys to get a copy of the rules, they change quite often it seems

Yeah... I don't know if it's true, but I've always played that even if OB if it's touching even a single piece of grass in bounds it's playable w/o a penalty stroke

tournaments aren't formal?...guess you don't play in the open division?
No, and I don't see myself ever getting there. Like I said, the lower down you go in divisions, the less a deal people make about foot faults, falling putts, illegal stances, etc. Stuff that under a reasonable interpretation of the rules should be called, but often isn't.

i have seen people called for anything and everything you can imagine. i suggest to anyone playing tourneys to get a copy of the rules, they change quite often it seems
Along those lines, remember that if its not in the rulebook,its not a rule.

they changed that rule also chris...i believe if any part of your disc is touching ob, you are ob...playing by the rules will only help your game..i have had to pull out a rulebook a few times to end arguments

they changed that rule also chris...i believe if any part of your disc is touching ob, you are ob...playing by the rules will only help your game..i have had to pull out a rulebook a few times to end arguments

your confused on that one - they changed the rule to read that the OB line itself is now considered OB (like if it was a painted line or something)

if any part of the disc is touching in bounds, then it is in bounds

a disc completely surrounded by OB is OB, even if there is a single strand of grass hanging across and touching your disc, it is still OB because the disc is surrounded by the OB area when that strand of grass is removed

the disc has to be specifically touching the in bounds playing area - think line of verticality and an invisible wall along the OB edge

Thanks for the info...

1. I thought he was BS, but because it was an unplayable OB, I didn't press him on it. If it was Mando, that would have been different.

2. I was under the impression that as long as you have one support point behind your disc, you were able to lean left or right and throw from a stretched out position. (think sumo wrestler stance)

Thanks for the info...

2. I was under the impression that as long as you have one support point behind your disc, you were able to lean left or right and throw from a stretched out position. (think sumo wrestler stance)

This IS correct. You only need to have ONE supporting point (be it a foot a knee, a finger, or your nose) within 30cm and on the line of play. Your other supporting points can be ANYWHERE as long as they are no closer to the hole than your marked lie.

so they have changed that rule twice?...when i started playing it was any part of the disc touching in bounds made the shot good...then i heard it was the opposite, now it is back to the "original"?

so they have changed that rule twice?...when i started playing it was any part of the disc touching in bounds made the shot good...then i heard it was the opposite, now it is back to the "original"?

I don't think it was ever the "opposite." The change was to make the line itself considered OB. The rules have not changed since 2006 when the new rulebook was put out.

Yes that's the only change - is in regards to the line. It used to be that touching anything IB was good - and that included the line. Now it's still touching any IB is good - except the line is not considered part of IB.

thanks for clarifying that. I have a question...how is dave feldbergs putt legal with his follow through? I got a warning last time I tried it. Maybe dave didn't clarify that the follow through is only legal beyond 10 meters in the DVD?

ISN'T THAT WHAT I SAID EARLIER? ANYTHING TOUCHING THE LINE IS OB? REGARDLESS OF THE RULES, THERE ARE SO MANY LOOPHOLES IT IS RIDICULOUS...GIVING SOMEONE A 5 METER RELIEF IS SILLY...SO NEXT TIME I HAVE AN "UNPLAYABALE" LIE I WILL JUST MOVE IT TO WHERE I CAN MAKE THE SHOT?...ANY LAWYERS PLAY GOLF?...THEY WILL EAT THE RULE BOOK UP

if your disc is touching line but also touching IB you are still considered IB.

if you claim unplayable lie for the 5 meters you also have to take a stroke, i believe.

ISN'T THAT WHAT I SAID EARLIER? ANYTHING TOUCHING THE LINE IS OB? REGARDLESS OF THE RULES, THERE ARE SO MANY LOOPHOLES IT IS RIDICULOUS...GIVING SOMEONE A 5 METER RELIEF IS SILLY...SO NEXT TIME I HAVE AN "UNPLAYABALE" LIE I WILL JUST MOVE IT TO WHERE I CAN MAKE THE SHOT?...ANY LAWYERS PLAY GOLF?...THEY WILL EAT THE RULE BOOK UP

Dude? Man o man. Get out and throw. Kiss a girl. Walk a dog. Do something that expresses your opinion without shouting down other folks opinion or discreptions in The Rule Book.

Just my opinion.

Anything touching the line is NOT OB - read it again - if anything is touching IB you are IB. If you are SURROUNDED BY OB and are only touching the OB line - you are OB. The OB line is PART OF OB. That is the part of the rule that changed a couple years ago - the line used to be part of IB - so if you were touching the line as a minimum - you were IB - that is no longer the case.

As regards casual relief and Unplayable lies - those are two different situations. Casual relief is granted only when the TD establishes certain obstacles/elements on the course as eligible for such relief. If no such obstacles are stated - you don't get the relief. Good examples are standing water, bees nests, etc. You can however - at any time - declare an unplayable lie - TAKE A STROKE PENALTY - and relocate your lie. Those are two completely different scenarios.
I agree that there are some discrepancies in the rule book - but I think you need to go and read the rules yourself to get a fuller understanding.

Latest posts