• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Object VS. Basket courses

I just played my first real object course in Brooklyn, NY and found it interesting. Overall I love playing with baskets as its the best way I find to play and have a great time, BUT I found that putting at a water fountain or a sign postor or a fire hydrant to be very challenging. At the same distance I missed a putt I know I would have sunk into a true basket. I believe baskets to be the most awesome way to experience disc golf, but the occasional object course can really tighten up ones putting skills. What do you guys think?

thats the one in prospect park right? cause i live right across the street from it. its a fairly some-what decent course

Yes!

Yes, it was Prospect Park. I enjoyed the course. I reviewed it on this site and gave it high marks, but I detailed the Cons that come with it. It was the course that inspired this thread. I do believe that small targets can only improve your basket game.

Many times I have played an object course in my yard when I don't feel like driving to the course which is about 30 minutes away. Just for fun.

I very much prefer a basket course, but I have no issues with playing or even making up an object course when there aren't baskets available. Whenever I go backpacking I always take a lid along and play object golf with that along the way.

When I first started playing in the 90's the only courses accessible to me locally were a tone-pole course at Blue Mt., and a "course" at Pattee Canyon that was basically "you see that tall tree over there? You gotta hit the tree next to it, that's your target"..

It was still a blast to play, but yeah we get spoiled with the baskets.. The tone poles were actually pretty cool, real distinct sound

Object Golf

My brother and I started playing Frisbee Golf 40 years ago - when we didn't call it object golf or disk golf.

Oddly, I find I have difficulty with the baskets. It used to be easier to hit long shots when you were shooting at objects and I found it made the game more thrilling.

(I'm adapting, for an old fart)

We were making up object courses and flipping lids around, before we had ever heard of disc golf. Even after finding the game, they were considerable fewer and further between. In addition, we had to real resource to find basket courses, other than word of mouth. Object is still fun, but I don't find myself playing very often.

Here in Prescott we've but one city sanctioned basket course(9 holes at Watson Lake)... which is fine(well not really, but don't get me started), but there are 5 or so target courses which if they had baskets would be first class courses due to their respective attributes and locations. In fact if ANY of the target courses around here had baskets Watson Lake would hardly ever get played. We're not plagued by vandals or thieves but by a obtuse, corrupt and constipated city council. We keep building new object courses on federal land against the city's objections in hopes of pressuring the counsel to follow through on their three year old promise to build an 18 hole course at Goldwater Lake. Riles me up, but is nothing compared to how I feel about the midnight "emergency" sale of Hassayampa Lake to developers.

I guess an object course is a bit easier in that you could scrape the thing on the left side and it would count, whereas on a basket course it would bounce out. But I do prefer the finality of a basket.

When I first started playing in the 90's the only courses accessible to me locally were a tone-pole course at Blue Mt., and a "course" at Pattee Canyon that was basically "you see that tall tree over there? You gotta hit the tree next to it, that's your target"..

It was still a blast to play, but yeah we get spoiled with the baskets.. The tone poles were actually pretty cool, real distinct sound

Don't forget the tree course up the Rattlesnake. That's where I learned to play. The "pro" layout was slightly longer and used saplings as targets while the "am" layout was shorter and used Ponderosa Pines as targets. I had heard of baskets before they put In the blue Mountain ones (think I was in 7th or 8th grade) but had never played on them.

I think because it's what I grew up on, I will always have much love for object courses. Don't find too many around these days. The ones I do find are usually pretty lame. Current exceptions being Echo Valley in Frenchtown, MT (if you can figure out out the layout) and Globe ville Landing in Denver.

I will also say that I have seen a lot of people who have only played on baskets get real frustrated real quick when putting at an object. It's not too hard to get used to but I'm sure it's an adjustment.

Conversely, when they switched from poles to baskets at the aforementioned Blue Mountain, a lot of us couldn't believe how easy it was to sink a putt. Granted, many of us were still using Wham - O Frisbees....

Latest posts