• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oblivious People

I meant the group ahead of mashnut intentionally skipping discs off the car, but if you thought I was referring to you then :shrug:. You pretty clearly said you went around it.

Didnt see the quote, sorry. Im alt tab typing at work. Trying to do it without getting seen.

Are you?

Yes, and their primary use is a DG course so Discers have the right of way. While at an open field there is no right of way and is first come first serve.

Most courses i have played are not that way at all. If it is a shared space the DGrs have to priority.

we were playing dubs at a temp course in a local park a few weeks back. we just had to skip a hole that had about 40 small latino children playing soccer on it. a guy went up and told them that there was a disc golf thing going on today and that they should probably find another place for the kids to practice and the guy apparently said to just throw because we wouldn't hit them.

so we get tot he next hole and i'm first up, it's a shorter hole so i didn't really turn my body that much to get anything on it. i do my reachback and right as i'm getting ready to pull through i hear my partner yell "stop" and i notice something moving right next to me. it was a latino lady walking, she literally walked one foot from me and if my partner hadn't yelled i would of smacked her in the face with my disc. i was in shock that somebody could be so oblivious to the fact that somebody was about to throw a disc in their hand; and that anybody would walk so close to me like that.

she ended up walking up the entire fairway and then when she got there she turned around and started walking back, we all starting waving and motioning that we were going to throw our discs and she finally walked up to the road and walked back.

Most courses i have played are not that way at all. If it is a shared space the DGrs have to priority.

So the disc golf course isnt the primary use on the land (outside of the trails). Where the Courses are at dams around here it used to just be large areas of overgrown grass and had no use. The only reason it is mowed and people can lay on it is because of the course. Therefore its primary use is a disc course.

I am not saying people cant walk on them and use them, i am speaking only of people laying in the middle of fairways as was stated tanning.

Even if I had priority, and warning signs were pre-emptively tattooed on the eyelids of every patron in the park, I'm not going to throw if I have any real likelihood of damaging a person or property. It's not about legality, it's about being responsible. I even check blind shots ahead of time. Maybe it's from being a caddy for nine years, where an errant ball can literally kill, but that just seems like the right thing to do. A person doesn't deserve stitches because they've never heard of our game. And I'd sure hate for that being their first experience of disc golf and its players. Throwing when you think you can hurt something and still be in the 'right' is just passive agressive BS.

I normally play at Schenley Park in Pittsburgh. There are ALWAYS oblivious park users. But the key thing to remember about these people is that it's not there fault that they don't know that it's a disc golf course. To them it's the largest public lawn in the city that happens to also be the first 5 holes of the disc golf course.

So normally we'll have people sun bathing in the fairway of #1, possibly picinicing under the trees by #1's basket, running up the hill across #2's fairway. Or just aimlessly wandering somewhere between holes 1,2, or 3.

But my #1 favorite was a few weeks ago at league night. This woman and her dog were standing around the trees near #1's basket. She's wearing headphones and we're standing on the teepad waving discs hollering doing whatever to try to get her attention. We fail. So she moves and begins to run across the lawn from 1's basket basically through 2's fairway to the road and starts back.

Luckily for her it was league night and the group that was on two was able to explain to her that what we were doing, and also what she was doing was unsafe. She seemed cool about it and understood. And is probably better off for understanding.

I have friends that like to think that everyone should know that it's a disc golf course. Fact of the matter is that most people have no clue what disc golf even is let alone that courses exist. The best way to correct the problem is to educate the people that you see being oblivious.

Educating them doesn't mean "hey this is a disc golf course go find somewhere to jog" Educating them means explaining to them what parts of the park are better to use for their purpose or explaining the sport to them ina helpful polite manner. Most often the response you get is. "Oh disc golf huh? I had no idea. That looks fun. I'll move over here(out of the way)"

Yes, and their primary use is a DG course so Discers have the right of way. While at an open field there is no right of way and is first come first serve.

While I agree that in an open public field, it's a first come first serve basis and no one not trying to be a douche would interrupt a group of kids taking up the whole field field with a game of football and we should get the same benefit. But many people wouldn't side with a single person out there throwing discs not sharing the field.

While we can share, in actuality to maintain safety we really need exclusivity on use of the park/field. Guys out practicing with their golf balls and clubs out in the fields here have pretty much learned to pack up their stuff as soon as someone else shows up to the field. So, they only go out at hours when multi-use isn't going to be an issue.

All that's going to happen is the parks department posting a no disc golf disc sign in the field if they feel there are going to be safety issues or people complaining about getting hit, regardless of fault.

I like to take a sharp edged champion type plastic disc walk up to oblivious people and have them feel the disc. Then explain to them that it can possibly break ribs or crack skulls.

so we get tot he next hole and i'm first up, it's a shorter hole so i didn't really turn my body that much to get anything on it. i do my reachback and right as i'm getting ready to pull through i hear my partner yell "stop" and i notice something moving right next to me. it was a latino lady walking, she literally walked one foot from me and if my partner hadn't yelled i would of smacked her in the face with my disc. i was in shock that somebody could be so oblivious to the fact that somebody was about to throw a disc in their hand; and that anybody would walk so close to me like that.

Was she a ninja? Talk about oblivious - how did she get within a foot and you needed to be told to stop?

So the disc golf course isnt the primary use on the land (outside of the trails). Where the Courses are at dams around here it used to just be large areas of overgrown grass and had no use. The only reason it is mowed and people can lay on it is because of the course. Therefore its primary use is a disc course.

I am not saying people cant walk on them and use them, i am speaking only of people laying in the middle of fairways as was stated tanning.

My last post should have said the DGrs have no priority

If the courses you are referring to are posted by the landowner as disc golf only then the people shouldn't be sun bathing. Otherwise, you have no rights over them and no priority

My last post should have said the DGrs have no priority

If the courses you are referring to are posted by the landowner as disc golf only then the people shouldn't be sun bathing. Otherwise, you have no rights over them and no priority

So they have the priority? Someone has to have first priority. Since it was built into a disc course the discers have the right of way. Over sun bathers. Hikers and Bikers have the right of way overall but they are moving and are not a hassle.

Even if I had priority, and warning signs were pre-emptively tattooed on the eyelids of every patron in the park, I'm not going to throw if I have any real likelihood of damaging a person or property. It's not about legality, it's about being responsible. I even check blind shots ahead of time. Maybe it's from being a caddy for nine years, where an errant ball can literally kill, but that just seems like the right thing to do. A person doesn't deserve stitches because they've never heard of our game. And I'd sure hate for that being their first experience of disc golf and its players. Throwing when you think you can hurt something and still be in the 'right' is just passive agressive BS.

Like I said I will avoid it if i can but when i drive almost an hour to course and its theone time i could get out in 2 weeks im not going to skip a hole. I will do all i can to avoid the car parked at the basket but if i miss its not my fault.

So they have the priority? Someone has to have first priority. Since it was built into a disc course the discers have the right of way. Over sun bathers. Hikers and Bikers have the right of way overall but they are moving and are not a hassle.

Split someone's head open with a throw that was questionable in terms of safety and you will ind out just how much priority you have.

Split someone's head open with a throw that was questionable in terms of safety and you will ind out just how much priority you have.

I would LOVE to see someone try to sue someone for getting hit with a disc golf disc when they were walking on a disc course in a blind area (hint no one purposely throws on people walking that they see).

Heres a hint, you wouldnt win the case. Your on a disc golf course. Discs are meant to be thrown there.

But its a he said he said case and since you are ON A DISC COURSE. You would not win the case no matter what unless you can prove the person aimed for your head maliciously.

You've never had someone walk from behind you? Peoples feet are really loud in the grass.

I can say that in over 30 years of playing disc golf that I have ever had anyone within reaching distance of me that I did not know was there.

Situational Awareness FTW.

Does the course have signs stating this is a DG only area? Watch for flying discs signs? Is the land designated as exclusive to DGrs?

My point is most parks are shared use and the DGrs do not take precedence over anyone else using the area. If you hurt someone in a shared use area then you are responsible, not the person who got hurt. You are responsible every time you throw a disc.

I would LOVE to see someone try to sue someone for getting hit with a disc golf disc when they were walking on a disc course in a blind area (hint no one purposely throws on people walking that they see).

Heres a hint, you wouldnt win the case. Your on a disc golf course. Discs are meant to be thrown there.

But its a he said he said case and since you are ON A DISC COURSE. You would not win the case no matter what unless you can prove the person aimed for your head maliciously.

That lawsuit may not hurt you in the slightest, but I guarantee it's the end of that disc golf course. A city isn't going to take any chances of future lawsuits, especially after there's already been an injury they won't risk knowing about the safety issue and not correcting it. Every course I've played in a multi-use park plays near other things like playgrounds, picnic areas and walking paths that were there before the course, so no, we don't have priority to be there. We have no right to throw every hole regardless of other park users, and we have no right to tell people to get out of a public park. I love playing private or out of the way courses, you don't have to worry about these issues, but the majority of our courses do have these issues and we need to understand that we're at the very bottom of the priority list so if conflicts arise the courses are the first thing to go.

Like I said I will avoid it if i can but when i drive almost an hour to course and its theone time i could get out in 2 weeks im not going to skip a hole. I will do all i can to avoid the car parked at the basket but if i miss its not my fault.

I'd rather skip a hole than have to drive an hour and a half to argue my side in court. Or explain to the parent of a crying, bloodied toddler that they, in fact, are the jerk. But, I guess it's a matter of preference. We'll just agree to disagree. No park is going to give a disc golf course exclusive rights to an area. It's public land for all public use. That course could get pulled, with or without court mandate after an incident like that, especially if the press got wind of it on a slow news day.

Last edited:
I can say that in over 30 years of playing disc golf that I have ever had anyone within reaching distance of me that I did not know was there.

Situational Awareness FTW.

I agree with you that situational awareness is important. What I'm saying is that it's not all that hard to have someone come from behind you out of your line of sight.

I guess I have to play for 27 more years to be able to make the same statement as you.

Glad to see your 30 years experience is useful in trolling someone on the internet.

Latest posts