• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Odd number at doubles league?

I run a Pro/Am (assuming enough Pros show up) doubles weekly.

If we have an extra Pro, then they play Cali (one extra shot per hole). This usually works out well, as the Cali player seems to cash if they play well and not cash if they don't. Its not a sure thing either way.

Since its Pro/Am, we let the odd man play as their own doubles partner if they are an Am. This doesn't work out quite as well, since this player has only cashed once when they shot really well. Its still a lot better than Am Cali, which would probably eliminate a chance at cashing for most Ams.

I like the triples idea, and might start using it for Ams if they outnumber the Pros and the numbers work out right.

For all our random dubs, this is what we do if you draw the Joker <Which means you are the 'odd' man>:
EACH tee, you get to throw your drive. If you like your drive and have a birdie shot, you can take two putts, if the drive was not good, you may take another.
If you take 2 drives, you only get one approach/putt.
So....normal par 3 hole:
2 drives, 1 approach, 2 putts
1 drive 2 approach, 1 putt
Basically you alternate each throw depending on what you do with your drive. And it starts over each hole. If you just threw 2 shots, you only get one shot after that.

Stop calling it Cali rules. This isn't tennis.

Exhibit A: People in California don't call it California rules.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11928&highlight=california+rules

I'm pretty sure my club has been calling it Cali since the mid 80s (no, I'm not in California, but the term is old and has been used here for a long time). The term obviously came from somewhere, and it's a common part of DG vocabulary around here, everyone knows what Cali means on doubles night.

Last edited:
We do our random draw by picking numbered poker chips out of a Crown Royal bag. That choice is reserved for the person drawing the highest numbered chip, and only then if there is an odd number of players.

We draw poker chips out of a Crown Royal bag too !!!!! But we do it to pick the Birdie Bank holes.

Birdie Bank = optional $1 side bet game during doubles that we chose 4 random holes that teams must birdie. 3 of the 4 holes get birdied and you break the Birdie Bank.

I've only played Cali rules once, and I got absolutely destroyed. I think it was just a bad day at the office, but I still would want a doubles partner any day.

I can see how someone who is a decent player could benefit greatly from this, especially for putting. If someone was an above average putter, and got two tries on every hole, I could see how they would clean up.

People in California call it <insert whatever state you're from> rules.

I recently played in my first doubles tournament and got the cali spot. The club here did it as one extra shot per hole regardless of pro or am. It sucked big time, you're at a huge disadvantage as an Am playing cali. Its like being on an Am-Am team where your partner only gets to play one shot and you are playing against teams that are pro-am. On top of that I didn't know anyone and the team I was paired with was indifferent at best (borderline unfriendly), so since I didn't have a partner it sucked on the social side too. Probably the only time I can remember not having fun while playing disc golf. I would think a much better way to do it is the triple team mentioned above, that sounds like way more fun.

Last edited:
We, who live in California, call the loner Sven.

And now Sven calls me the loner:)
I'm actually trying to roadtrip out to see old boy in September out in Virginia...disc golf and Monticello anyone?

The way I see it, unless you're a significantly better player than the average person in the event, you're at a fairly steep disadvantage playing "odd dog," as the call it around Atlanta. Look at it this way: if you only get one extra throw per hole, that's like having a partner who only gets one throw per hole. On a par-3 hole that's an average of 6 throws vs. 4. On a par-4 hole, that's an average of 8 throws vs. 5. This is a significant disadvantage. In my experience, the "odd dog" loner rarely if ever competes well in a doubles event, and only the very best players in my club ever have success at it. Unless I'm paired with a beginner or a female amputee, I'd expect to score better with a partner who can throw every lie rather than only get one extra throw per hole.

The only exception to this is if you're a seasoned pro, or highly-rated amateur, competing against people of far lesser skill. In these cases you're a bagger anyway. :p

Latest posts