• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off arm positioning used to fix form?

DarwinDave

After yet another disappointing round of filming my backhand form last week, an idea came to me that I'm curious to hear some opinion on.

For my entire disc golf career, I've been a strong armer with backhand, maxing around 350' or so and always had massive troubles trying to get any more distance than that. Thanks to a bunch of reading here, videos, etc., and field work with the camera, it's blatantly obvious that I consistently underuse my hips and always seem to be too far rotated with the shoulders.

I've been working hard to correct it, but after a decade of bad form, it feels nearly impossible to time it correctly...

So, anyway, I got pretty desperate to do anything to find a way to slow down my shoulder rotation. Today, I had a lot of luck syncing things by keeping my off arm out and away, instead of tucking it down low like every pro suggests. My off arm still came down to my hip, just much later and more deliberately.

Instantly, I felt the 'ground up' feeling of power that I've read so much about!

Anyone else out there ever toyed around with this concept?

It reminds me of a classic drill in ball golf. If you can't stop hitting a slice, a good drill is to go to the range and use an exaggerated, closed stance. Then as you go, you start to straighten it out until you've grooved a swing plane that's squarely down the target line. My hope is to do the same and just get the off arm back to a more normal, down position eventually.

Thoughts?

All I can say is... an injury to to my left shoulder added 50 feet to my RH backhand drives immediately. That's finding the silver lining...

The thing you said about the rear arm being out of the way is a good thing. You can go all the way over the top Swedish style which actually rotates you faster as it brings in your mass in closer to the center. Watch Linus Astrom in Red at 1:05.

Latest posts