• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

So, I just ordered one of the 2018 Ledgestone colorshift Z zones, what should I expect? I've never thrown a zone before so a comparison with a harp would be ideal.

So, I just ordered one of the 2018 Ledgestone colorshift Z zones, what should I expect? I've never thrown a zone before so a comparison with a harp would be ideal.

more shallow, much easier to forehand, strange backhand feel, more dumpy fade, and same distance

Cool. I throw a lot of forehand approaches. It should be right up my alley. Thanks.

The harp is more "puttery" in that it has less movement left and right, it also moves slower than the zone does. Harps IMO are better for shots that I would want to move slower l/r and not as much. Zone is more "midrangy" in its flight. Then the prodigy A2 is a step up from the zone, it moves harder side to side and faster.

I'd bet you'll end up with a slight puddle top (that run was mostly puddled). It'll be more OS compared to your average flat topped Zone, so much more OS than a Harp. If it ain't to you liking, I was able to flatten mine out using the boiling water method.

It's a pretty LE, but rather slick. Haven't scuffed it up enough to see if it develops grip. Might not be an issue for a forehand...

The harp is more "puttery" in that it has less movement left and right, it also moves slower than the zone does. Harps IMO are better for shots that I would want to move slower l/r and not as much. Zone is more "midrangy" in its flight. Then the prodigy A2 is a step up from the zone, it moves harder side to side and faster.

The Hornet, unfortunately now OOP, has a lot of that l-r range, which is the major reason I bag it. Neither my Zone nor Harps have such lateral range, and I found them to be about the same in that capacity.

I promised my wife that I wasn't going to binge buy any discs this season, but I did have to get at least one PM disc just cuz, so I picked a zone. I already have one in jawbreaker that's my primary approach disc, but now I figure I can let loose with the zone in the trees where I would often step up to my lucid verdict because I wasn't sure what would happen if I whacked a tree full on with the jawbreaker (and that jawbreaker zone is one of my favorite discs). So yeah, pretty excited to get to toss a new zone this season!

I promised my wife that I wasn't going to binge buy any discs this season, but I did have to get at least one PM disc just cuz, so I picked a zone. I already have one in jawbreaker that's my primary approach disc, but now I figure I can let loose with the zone in the trees where I would often step up to my lucid verdict because I wasn't sure what would happen if I whacked a tree full on with the jawbreaker (and that jawbreaker zone is one of my favorite discs). So yeah, pretty excited to get to toss a new zone this season!

P McB or not, being able to get production Z Zones is something we've been looking for for years, now. Get 'em while they're hot!

I noticed Paul was using the First Runs in Vegas if I'm not mistaken.

Verdict/Zone pairing is so good for FH approaches and woods shots. It did take me an adjustment period for the less glide and more HSS of the Zone...many underthrown shots for a little while...but I think you'll like it.

How are the newer swirly Esp coming out compared to the older ESP aside from Color?
How is the grip and flexibility?

I had almost walked away from regular esp because all I could get the last few years was hard and slippery.

But I found a swirly ESP Force at the local shop that felt amazing, just a slight amount of give and just the right amount of grip along with a great look.

I don't throw forces but thought if I could find a Zone that felt like that, I would snag a couple up.

How are the newer swirly Esp coming out compared to the older ESP aside from Color?

I had almost walked away from regular esp because all I could get the last few years was hard and slippery.

But I found a swirly ESP Force at the local shop that felt amazing, just a slight amount of give and just the right amount of grip along with a great look.

I don't throw forces but thought if I could find a Zone that felt like that, I would snag a couple up.

I think in general the Zone has a much thicker flight plate and wing which lends it to molding up a little more firm. The Force has a pretty thin flight plate so gummier plastics tends to feel fantastic in that mold.

All ESP Zones I have felt up, new or old, have been fairly firm. But perhaps someone else has had different experiences?

Have not thrown, but the one I felt was grippier/tackier and softer in a way. ESP is normally slicker than that, or sometimes like tacky star but still smooth...admitting I have like 5% the experience with Discraft stuff as Innova. This Zone had a bit more of a rubbery hint to it and some texture. I bag a softer ESP and this felt like a different variation of the blend to me, not just softer.

Have not thrown, but the one I felt was grippier/tackier and softer in a way. ESP is normally slicker than that, or sometimes like tacky star but still smooth...admitting I have like 5% the experience with Discraft stuff as Innova. This Zone had a bit more of a rubbery hint to it and some texture. I bag a softer ESP and this felt like a different variation of the blend to me, not just softer.

Just what I was hoping to hear! This ESP is a bit different. Different is good!

I've flet up one of the new swirly zones. This one was board flat, really stiff and pretty slick :/

Just what I was hoping to hear! This ESP is a bit different. Different is good!

Have you tried Z-FLX? Don't like that plastic in drivers but it feels great with the Zone. McBeth said he preferred it over Z for backhands. Earhart, on team Discraft, uses it as well.

It was sold as "new Swirly ESP" but it might as well have been an old one with a new stamp, IDK.

Edit: "ESP zone new stamp"

Latest posts