• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

I picked up a McB Z Zone and took it out for the first time this weekend. Since everyone says this is the best thing since sliced bread I expected it to jump from my hand into every basket. That did not happen. In fact, the disc kept taking a nose dive well before it's intended target. It's nothing like I bag. The flat top is soooo flat it's a little weird. It's a beautiful disc, for sure. But what the heck? I primarily throw r backhand. It has to be me, right?

It's not you at all. I've been bagging a Zone for a few years now. It's a great disc, and does it's job very well. I have a weak, weak arm AND suck at throwing FH's, which I think the Zone really excels at. I'm debating going back to a Zflx Ringer GT for the OS upshot duties. BH that is. It just seems to work better for me for that slot. I use those in the winter so I don't risk losing my Zones. But they seem to work better than my Zones do. If you have even an ok FH flick of the wrist upshot the Zone is the undisputed king. I do not. YMMV. :|

Well it finally happened. After three years in the bag, I lost my Ti Zone. Hit the top band on a dangerous approach shot sending the disc into the river. And it's spring runoff season so that river was moving FAST. :(

I do have a 10th Anniversary Zone (glittery Elite Z plastic, maybe??) but I really don't care for the slick firm grip. Tried ordering a replacement Ti but everything is out of stock or overpriced eBay nonsense. Ordered an ESP instead since I remember ESP being pretty similar to Titanium plastic in terms of feel and flight. Hope I remembered correctly.

Well it finally happened. After three years in the bag, I lost my Ti Zone. Hit the top band on a dangerous approach shot sending the disc into the river. And it's spring runoff season so that river was moving FAST. :(

I do have a 10th Anniversary Zone (glittery Elite Z plastic, maybe??) but I really don't care for the slick firm grip. Tried ordering a replacement Ti but everything is out of stock or overpriced eBay nonsense. Ordered an ESP instead since I remember ESP being pretty similar to Titanium plastic in terms of feel and flight. Hope I remembered correctly.
Small sample size, but the one TI disc I had (which I also lost) I could not tell the difference from ESP if I was holding it with my eyes closed.

Small sample size, but the one TI disc I had (which I also lost) I could not tell the difference from ESP if I was holding it with my eyes closed.

Sounds awesome! Would love for the new ESP to feel just like a Ti. :thmbup:

My TI is slightly puddle topped and kind of soft and grippy. My ESP is flat, very firm, and kind of slick.

Sounds disappointing! Would hate for the new ESP to feel firm and slick :thmbdown:

Sounds awesome! Would love for the new ESP to feel just like a Ti. :thmbup:

Sounds disappointing! Would hate for the new ESP to feel firm and slick :thmbdown:

Recent ESP has been very good in my experience. When "new" ESP came out in early 2018 it was slick and stiff but more recently they've had more give and grip.

For Zones, Ti is close enough to ESP. For drivers, from my experience, Ti tends to have less glide and be a bit more OS than ESP. I get a lot of use out of my Zones, but never really liked the Ti. Mainly because the colors were awful.

I know everyone and their mother throws a zone...all I hear is that it's the greatest disc ever...but I don't really get it. It seems with so many people advocating for it, I'm probably not understanding situations where it makes sense to throw it. I have a Buzzz OS midrange, and an overstable putter...it always just seems to me that a Zone is a needless bridge between the 2? Are people throwing it in place of the OS midrange or putter? Or throwing it in addition? Does it have some great flight I'm not thinking of like a flex-to-straight line? Exceptionally good at fighting a headwind?

I've tried enough random discs on minimal recommendation, so I'm open to practicing shots with it...I just haven't organically found a shot where I'm like "ahhh THIS is what people like the Zone for". Help me out on what situations might call for it?

I know everyone and their mother throws a zone...all I hear is that it's the greatest disc ever...but I don't really get it. It seems with so many people advocating for it, I'm probably not understanding situations where it makes sense to throw it. I have a Buzzz OS midrange, and an overstable putter...it always just seems to me that a Zone is a needless bridge between the 2? Are people throwing it in place of the OS midrange or putter? Or throwing it in addition? Does it have some great flight I'm not thinking of like a flex-to-straight line? Exceptionally good at fighting a headwind?

I've tried enough random discs on minimal recommendation, so I'm open to practicing shots with it...I just haven't organically found a shot where I'm like "ahhh THIS is what people like the Zone for". Help me out on what situations might call for it?

Read the responses to post #996, one page back.
What is the over-stable putter you use now? Zones, Pigs and the MD5 I have all work for this slot in my bag. There may be overlap between your over-stable putter you use now and Zones, if that putter is indeed, over-stable.

If you bag a Buzzz OS and a true OS putter, then the Zone is overkill. Zone is basically a two-for-one replacement mold in my opinion. It is just as torque and wind resistant as almost any OS mid but powers down better, albeit not quite as good as a putter. If you are happy with the OS bookend discs in your bag then I don't think you're missing anything by going without a Zone. If you wish you could carry just one of them rather than both, then you really should try a Zone.

Personally, I have a Zone and a Felon cycle on my OS bookend side of the bag. I don't feel like that gap is too big. If anything, I find the really short shots to be where I sometimes wish I had an extra disc in the bag. Like when the only gap available is a stepout flick shot in the woods, but you are only around 70' from the basket. That is the type of shot that makes me want to try something a tad slower like a Pig or A2. It is easy to scream a Zone past the basket on those really short ones.

I thought the Zone was an overstable putter. LOL.

I didn't get the disc for the longest time, but it is now a staple. I use mine for...

1) Flexy touch scramble shots. I softly throw it on a steep anny and it flattens out and lands flat. FH and BH.
2) Open short range BH Hyzer approaches.
3) Short forehand shots. Tee or approach.

It is more comfortable in my hand than a "true putter", especially for forehand shots. And it is more forgiving than a mid on shots that I run the basket or shots that I saw off because you get less ground play.

Read the responses to post #996, one page back.
What is the over-stable putter you use now? Zones, Pigs and the MD5 I have all work for this slot in my bag. There may be overlap between your over-stable putter you use now and Zones, if that putter is indeed, over-stable.

I have an MVP Entropy that I throw (which to me seems like it would be pretty comparable to a Zone) and then I actually putt with a RhynoX when I want an overstable putt (specifically, we get a lot of wind, and I use that on particularly windy days when putting into the wind).

I'd always kind of thought of the Zone as similar to my Entropy...which I like...but which I can't imagine myself raving about as little as I actually use it. That's what got me to thinking that maybe people are using it in ways I don't use my Entropy. My home course has a lot of shorter holes, but also tight/straight windows, so I typically throw a straight putter or mid on those. I might end up throwing my Entropy on 2-3 holes max into the wind.

I have an MVP Entropy that I throw (which to me seems like it would be pretty comparable to a Zone) and then I actually putt with a RhynoX when I want an overstable putt (specifically, we get a lot of wind, and I use that on particularly windy days when putting into the wind).

I'd always kind of thought of the Zone as similar to my Entropy...which I like...but which I can't imagine myself raving about as little as I actually use it. That's what got me to thinking that maybe people are using it in ways I don't use my Entropy. My home course has a lot of shorter holes, but also tight/straight windows, so I typically throw a straight putter or mid on those. I might end up throwing my Entropy on 2-3 holes max into the wind.

The other day, I played a short wooded course and I think I used my Zone for 1 forehand tee shot and 1 forehand approach shot and I probably would have been better suited throwing a soft F2.

I also played an open park course with a much great emphasis on landing areas than throwing specific lines. I think I used it on 9 or 10 holes.

I thought the Zone was an overstable putter. LOL.

I know this was probably said for the lulz, but it's worth pointing out that the Zone might be the most "confused" disc AFA putter vs. mid designation. Every time you see any of the casual rounds where people have to choose a disc of a certain type (disc dice, restricted bag rounds, etc.) you'll usually see a discussion break out over whether the Zone counts as a mid or a putter.

I played a two-round tournament on the short tees (most 200' ish and heavily wooded). I would say that over two rounds with two different sets of card mates, at least half of the tee shots were thrown with Zones.

I know this was probably said for the lulz, but it's worth pointing out that the Zone might be the most "confused" disc AFA putter vs. mid designation. Every time you see any of the casual rounds where people have to choose a disc of a certain type (disc dice, restricted bag rounds, etc.) you'll usually see a discussion break out over whether the Zone counts as a mid or a putter.

A Zone counts as a mid...

...if you consider putters to be mids.

Latest posts