• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ohio Disc Golfer Died Playing?

Wow, such tragic news. It does remind us that we need to watch out when we are messing with mother nature.

What a horrible story. May he rest in peace, and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

There will be a memorial tournament for Michael Stonestreet Sr.

The Michael Stonestreet memorial toss. Arboretum-Spiker park Canton OH.
Aug.25 2013 $25 to enter 3 divisions,open,adv.and int.

All entry fees will be donated to his family.

9-10:30 check in
10:30-11 players meeting
11a.m tee off

Please come and show your support for a great father,husband,and friend!

I'd play that tourney in a heartbeat if I wasn't on the other side of the country. Hopefully it fills, to show strong support, and raise a good amount of money.

tragic. RIP.

i grew up highly allergic to bee stings as well, a bite sent me to the hospital in the 5th grade. carried my epipens with me for years until time and treatment and multiple other bee and wasp stings reduced my need for it.

i don't think that casual observers understand what exactly happens during these allergic reactions, your body releases a ton of histamine, hives mark your entire body while your airways close.

finding someone on the golf course with an epipen would have been a minor miracle, if there was also someone there that understood how to use it. perhaps an anti histamine such as benadryl would be a solid addition to everyones golf bag, an anti histamine can buy a lot of time and reduce suffering tremendously.

tragic. RIP.
finding someone on the golf course with an epipen would have been a minor miracle, if there was also someone there that understood how to use it.

What do you mean by 'understood how to use it?' Don't you just pop the top and hit the thigh? Little off topic, but information about bee stings doesn't seem out of place.

This thread prompted me to put my epi pen in my bag/car. I learned last year while playing a round (Scrapyard in Charlotte) that I'm mildly alergic to bees. Two yellow jacket stings - one on ankle and one on ear. Drove home, but felt very anxious, my palms and bottoms of my feet started to itch, and then hives on the backs of my arms and on my thighs. Had an epi pen for my wife and she stuck me with it. Those things work wonders.

What do you mean by 'understood how to use it?' Don't you just pop the top and hit the thigh? Little off topic, but information about bee stings doesn't seem out of place.

This thread prompted me to put my epi pen in my bag/car. I learned last year while playing a round (Scrapyard in Charlotte) that I'm mildly alergic to bees. Two yellow jacket stings - one on ankle and one on ear. Drove home, but felt very anxious, my palms and bottoms of my feet started to itch, and then hives on the backs of my arms and on my thighs. Had an epi pen for my wife and she stuck me with it. Those things work wonders.

yes, sort of. the average person isn't trained nor knowledgeable regarding intra muscular or subcutaneous injections and the specific locations for them, now put them under the pressure of a real life situation and it's not so easy to perform when a life is hanging in the balance. benadryl is very cheap, easy to understand and administer and will likely buy enough time for the sting victim to get proper care. benadryl has saved my life when my epipen was not available. the average person can't go out and buy an epipen but they can buy benadryl (or another anti histamine) and add it to their bag, very lightweight, cheap and effective.

Wow this is terrible. Very sad. Has this got any media coverage? Is there a news article from the home town that someone can link to?

yes, sort of. the average person isn't trained nor knowledgeable regarding intra muscular or subcutaneous injections and the specific locations for them, now put them under the pressure of a real life situation and it's not so easy to perform when a life is hanging in the balance. benadryl is very cheap, easy to understand and administer and will likely buy enough time for the sting victim to get proper care. benadryl has saved my life when my epipen was not available. the average person can't go out and buy an epipen but they can buy benadryl (or another anti histamine) and add it to their bag, very lightweight, cheap and effective.

Good post. Benedryl is an effective temporary treatment for the symptoms of an allergic reaction. So is Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra....I carry this in my bag all the time and have given it away to others on several occasions.
It should be cautioned that both antihistimines and epi pens are temporary measures in the treatment of the symptoms. Benedryl actually will have a longer lasting effect. In both situations, seeking immediate medical attention, for when the medications wear off, is vital. The allergic reaction will almost certainly outlast an epi pen and soon leave you in the same dire circumstances as when the sting occured.

Stoney was a great guy. Tournaments around here wont be the same without him.

I had a pretty bad reaction one time on the course and ran and grabbed some benedryl from a nearby 7-11 ASAP. Broke out in hives, swollen face and itchy all over. Never went to my throat though. Really sad for him and his family.

This is the all I know so far:
I have asked about hole sponsorship after receiving this message and hope for a response soon.
Thanx to all of VIP for asking.

Quote:
Shawn,sorry it took so long to get back to you,but here's the info.

Donations can be sent to:
Kim Stonestreet
c/o James graham
1717 Forian Dr. NW
Canton OH.44709

Kim asked James to handle donations and such,any donations to the family can be addressed to kim, and james will forward it to her,disc donations can just be sent to james without kims name.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your kind act my friend.
Quote:

I have heard it might not be a bee sting but rather pre-existing conditions he was already dealing with.

Also I can vouch for James, he's a very stand up guy.

Latest posts