• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ohio Meet Thread

ohio meet 2011

• Gordon Holton / Alum Creek / Brent Hambrick

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Deis Hill / Arboretum-Spiker Park / Lincoln Park

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Buck Creek / Handyman Ace Hardware DGC / Belmont Park

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Pickerington DGC / Flat Rock DGC / Hocking Peaks

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Brent Hambrick / Lobdell Reserve / Horns Hill

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

SmoothSailor

* Ace Member *
Haven't seen a meet up thread for Ohio DGCR members yet.

I'm in NE OH, if anyone wants to get some rounds in up here or if you're from another area, let's get a meet going somewhere in the middle.

I currently hold travel tag 59 if anyone wants to trade as well.

I don't have a tag, but come on down to Mansfield for our Spring Fling 'n Wings and help me raise the funds to get a course in the ground!
Would love to meet you!
May 7th.

I'm down for something, hopefully we can get something going before RTS loses her license. Or we could play in C-bus where somebody could swing by and pick her up.

We'd need another tag to be able to set up a trade though, SmoothSailor and I have each other's tags already :hfive:

I don't have a tag, but come on down to Mansfield for our Spring Fling 'n Wings and help me raise the funds to get a course in the ground!
Would love to meet you!
May 7th.

I dont usually visit some of these subforums but man, I need to start. Thats in 2 weeks. PM me details on what you might need help with. Hopefully I am not also moving that weekend. Do you have details posted somewhere for the event?

What we need is to schedule a huge meet for all of Ohio on down the line, but would be cool if a lot of us could show up for the Mansfield course fundraiser. :thmbup:

I dont usually visit some of these subforums but man, I need to start. Thats in 2 weeks. PM me details on what you might need help with. Hopefully I am not also moving that weekend. Do you have details posted somewhere for the event?

What we need is to schedule a huge meet for all of Ohio on down the line, but would be cool if a lot of us could show up for the Mansfield course fundraiser. :thmbup:

If we are going to do a big meet later I could definitely get a ride if it's somewhat close to Cbus.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do we want to just do one day, or find a place with camping really close by and make it a weekend thing?

Any suggestions on when? I would think late may or early June before it gets too hot and humid. Maybe plan it for early fall, September or something?

oh wow, didn't see this thread until now!

i would be very interested in an ohio meet. if someone sets a date/time, i recommend a date/time that is a month or two away so that people can really plan ahead and get the time free.

my vote would be Saturday, June 4th. there doesn't seem to be too many tournaments scheduled then.

a central location might pull the most people. deis hill? it's in the middle and it's a 5 star course

another idea is a free tournament. all us dgcr people throw a round from the blue (longest) tees, and we just post the results here. if i can get a babysitter, i could easily collect the cards and post them for bragging rights.

there'd be some crazy travel card swappin! and there's a crap ton of ohio disc golfers so prob a good turn out.

thoughts?

oh wow, didn't see this thread until now!

i would be very interested in an ohio meet. if someone sets a date/time, i recommend a date/time that is a month or two away so that people can really plan ahead and get the time free.

my vote would be Saturday, June 4th. there doesn't seem to be too many tournaments scheduled then.

a central location might pull the most people. deis hill? it's in the middle and it's a 5 star course

another idea is a free tournament. all us dgcr people throw a round from the blue (longest) tees, and we just post the results here. if i can get a babysitter, i could easily collect the cards and post them for bragging rights.

there'd be some crazy travel card swappin! and there's a crap ton of ohio disc golfers so prob a good turn out.

thoughts?

I like the 4th, but I don't know that Deis would be great for those travelling from the Southwest portion of the state, Dayton and Cincy, looks like it would be about a 4 hour drive.

September is a good month for disc golf in Ohio. Temps are moderate and the courses are dry and it gives everyone plenty of time to plan.

Having a place with camping an option but not a requirement would be a good idea for thos who have to drive a ways to make it more worth their while, but I don't think I would have to worry about it since I can get to about any spot in Ohio in less than 3 hours from where I live.

waiting until september would definitely give everyone more time.

it may take quite a bit of time to agree on a course, but i know i'd certainly make a great effort to meet anywhere, although i prob wouldn't spend the night/camp. i'd prob show up early, meet everyone, throw a round, trade some tags, and split.

thx to smoothsailor for starting the thread

Very true. Course wise I'm sure we will come up with something, don't think the course matter as much as the meet, I was just thinking making it more centrally located might be better for everyone.

I looked up some info and as far as centrally located, with camping, Delware/Gordon Holton might be a good option. I've only played there a couple times, but its a nice course, and they just put in multiple tees last year. There are also two to three decent courses 20-25 minutes away.

Any other suggestions out there? I know Alum Creek has camping, but I think it's on the other side of the lake and Alum Creek is pretty tough, so any newcomers to the sport might find it a bit too much. Also Lancaster has a nice course from what I've heard and read in Flatrocks, which is also pretty close to the middle of the state.

Alum is VERY tight, it may be a little more open in a few years once a few of the trees get thinned out. Delaware was the only course Advanced played twice at Am Worlds, and for good reason. It was the best we played. Those of us on the west side of the state may have something to say about Deis being "centrally located". :p

Alum is VERY tight, it may be a little more open in a few years once a few of the trees get thinned out. Delaware was the only course Advanced played twice at Am Worlds, and for good reason. It was the best we played. Those of us on the west side of the state may have something to say about Deis being "centrally located". :p

Yeah I really don't know why they picked the courses they did for the AM Worlds. Definitely not some of the better ones in the state that's for sure.

That kind of what I was thinking about Deis as well. Its not bad for Cbus people or Northeast peeps, but southwest/west/northwest people might now think so. That being said I'm sure I could make it just about anywhere, even if I do have to get a ride, and am up to play just about any course.

I wouldn't mind meeting up for this, I have no bag tag.
One suggestion is Buck Creek, camping is close, it's a real nice course with a great view on the back 9 and the only downside, the tees aren't the best.

BUCK CREEK STATE PARK DGC - Springfield
Description: Beautiful park - front 13 wooded and technical. Back 6 open up with a beautiful view of lake and marina. Camping available 1 mile away. Course redisgned in Aug/Sept. 2009.

Directions: From Dayton OH - Take I-70 east to Rte. 40. Head North off exit, 2.5 miles to Bird Rd. Take right on Bird Rd and go 2.5 miles(turns into park). In park, turn right past park office to 1st left past Marina entrance. 1st tee at mouth of woods at 2nd parking lot on right.

Buck Creek is definitely coming together, and, imo, is a viable option. It would be great for all skill levels, but yes, some of the tees could use some work for sure (natural/dirt/gravel).

Suggestions so far:

Deis Hill
Gordon Holton
Buck Creek State Park

Maybe we should get a few more ideas in the next couple days, and then get a poll going?

Also, as far as September goes, maybe the 10th & 11th. No tourney's in Ohio at all that weekend and nothing big in the surrounding states either. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Last edited:
I posted some visitor messages for a lot of the folks in Ohio that I have seen post on the forums, but didn't post in this thread so far. I let them know about the thread and to check it out and post if they are interested.