• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ohio Solar Eclipse 2024

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
April 8th is a solar eclipse. Mrs ru4por, pooch "Whole Lotta Rosie" and myself have decided to drive to totality. Looking for some input from my Ohio friends. Here is a map with totality path. Looking for a nice place to hit a handful of decent courses, within a short drive, a nice park to take in the event and a town with some good eats for the evenings. Going to avoid Cleveland and looking to limit the drive from Detroit.

Eclipse Path

Last edited:
I'm planning to visit family in New Castle, IN for the eclipse, but not many awesome courses planned. Just hoping for clear skies.

While it doesn't help you, I think I'm going to Gordon Holton in Delaware State Park for an Eclipse round. If anyone out there wants to go, let me know.

A few course options that might work for you around the totality path:

• Tyler Beck in Mt. Gilead - really fun layout, and it's right on the eclipse line. Could also check out Watering Trough in Marengo nearby.
  • Echo Valley in Bellevue. Top rated park in OH and only about 30 minutes south of the path. It's a world-class course too.
  • Findley State Park as mentioned, has two courses and you could explore the parks around there too.
Hope we have clear skies for the eclipse, should be a pretty cool spot right on the path!

My advice is to stay very flexible, watch the weather, watch the radar. It may turn out that one part of the state has better odds of clear skies than another, which will be a lot more important than course quality.

When the 2017 eclipse cut across South Carolina, Stoney Hill was only 3 miles from the centerline. Skies were partly cloudy, and cleared in time for the show. The path also cut through Charleston, which was overcast all day, and people who planned their eclipse vacation there, lost out.

That eclipse also caused traffic jams. This year's may not be as bad, with the path cutting through more populated areas, but keep in mind that you may not be able to dash from one spot to another.

My plans to head to Texas for this year's eclipse are pretty shaky, but they involve aiming for less-populated areas (for traffic), and having a wide target area up until the last day or so, to maximize my odds.

(And don't do like the disc golfer who was driving from NC to visit us, but got freaked out by the traffic and decided to stop on the roadside and settle for near-totality. Trust me. A 99% eclipse is only 0.000001% as cool as a total eclipse.)

Trust me. A 99% eclipse is only 0.000001% as cool as a total eclipse.)

True dat. You still miss the entire spectacle. The darkness. The daytime stars. The birds and bugs freaking out. The diamond rings.

I'll pass along my tip from my If-I-Ever-Get-To-Witness-Another-Eclipse file, which is a note to myself to create some sort of reminder checklist, and pay attention to everything -- the sounds, the stars, the 360-degree sunset, the darkness (at ground level), the other viewers, etc. -- since mostly I gawked at the eclipse itself for most of the duration. What I needed was something, every ten seconds, saying "look at this, too".

I was so amazed by the 2 minutes of totality during the 2017 total eclipse that I vowed not to miss the 2024 eclipse. It will have double the duration of totality in 2017. I'll be viewing north of Austin, Texas. Texas provides great opportunity for sunny skies (or less chance of total cloud cover).

If you have the opportunity to get to totality....DO IT! The next total eclipse in North America won't be until 2045.