• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
I'm triggered by your politically incorrect naked child avatar. Are you a Catholic priest?

No. But i totally endorse naked play. Prefferably far from people. And roads. Wanna go backpacking?
Not with me.....
Just go somewhere and have fun!

As to the topic, and being over 40.....
I love playing long courses, but my distance has always been weak. I enjoy a midrange game, 250 and in. Just my own fun.
Couldn't care less if i score 20 over on a long course. I still have fun!

My annoyance is with these young folks and their constant improvement. They have no idea what it's like to be in decline, to be happy just to maintain a level a little while before sliding some more. So I have to constantly tell them that I used to be able to make this shot.

My doing so is clearly their annoyance.

But I have a backup plan. I'm old enough to have bought land and built a course, so if they complain I can truly say "Get off my lawn!", with some effect.

Hey remember back before discs had flight ratings? Let alone the concept of speed ratings?

You'd buy a disc, throw the disc and no matter how it flew for you you would keep throwing that disc..

Someone else said it, I read it... but back before we had the Internet for pictures and video.. Back when it took 5 -15 minutes to download a JPEG.. There was nothing to learn from other than people that you would meet on the course. Technique was not widely shared and we just lumped it out best we could. Maybe you subscribed to a DG magazine...

Disc golf was simpler then.... We were doing it wrong but it was simpler..

man I miss the 80's, disc golf in my hometown was finally starting to catch on, here in my parts of Wisconsin it was either football or fishing before that. Our first course was so small that even I could make it under par playing par 3 on all 9 holes.

It was a lot simpler, our local sports shop only sold Innova and Discraft, but the store owners barely knew anything about disc golf much less know anything about the discs themselves, so we just ended up buying what we thought would work and learned by trial and error.

man I miss those days.

More off-topic hi-jinks:
You're confused, political correctness has nothing to do with politics. The word you need to look up is "politic" (not "politics"), it relates to that.
Oh I'm very confused. Here are the definitions of "politic:"
adj.
Using or marked by prudence, expedience, and shrewdness; artful.
adj.
Using, displaying, or proceeding from policy; judicious: a politic decision.
adj.
Crafty; cunning.
So WTF does that have to do with sex or race again? Or you implying that only certain races or sexes can be shrewd? Sounds kind of racist or sexist to me, man. :|
Okay, I'm going to go through this one time only, because it appears you missed the point. I will not explain this twice.

On page one of this thread, I posted (slyly) the following:

I say slyly because participation in disc golf being overwhelmingly male is a matter of historical record. I probably have a reputation for seeking inclusion and being vocal about it, and I'm an old fart myself, so it was the perfect opportunity to play a role, take a little bit of a shot at myself and the thread in general, and have some fun.

The OP of the thread niced my comment and replied:

He got it perfectly.

And I thought that we were done. Joking comment, acknowledgement by the original poster, winky face, nices all around, we're done. I posted no more in the discussion at all.

Days later and on page six of the comments, you name-checked me and quoted me, and tried to drag me into a thing which I had no part in. I was very curt, because I have no patience for this and would like very much to be doing anything in the world except for interacting with you, since you came at me in bad faith.

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to reach you. All of this is written for the bystanders. They deserve to know where I'm coming from. I fear it's probably wasted on you, however.

Again, I'm explaining this only once. I'm out. Do as you will.

Hi Nova P, let me welcome you to the internet. Here's your original post:
Apparently back in the day everyone who played disc golf was male, if I read the OP correctly.
Now, here in the interwebs, we don't have much in the way of context. All you posted were words that you thought appeared sarcastically. A properly accompanying emoji like :D:| or ;) could've gone a long way in relating the proper level of sarcasm. Alas, we had nothing to go on which leads to posters like ThrowaEnvy and Golden Tuna assuming you were serious. Why did they think you were being serious? Probably b/c you just had a diatribe a few days ago about PDGA gender policies. ThrowaEnvy tried to diffuse your attempt at humor/political correctness with a quick apology and to you so that you wouldn't go on another PDGA gender policy diatribe. His response to your post was effectively: Please don't get my thread derailed and locked like the PDGA gender policy thread. ;) GoldenTuna inferred that you were complaining about a lack of political correctness (which again is a very easy inference to make due to your lack of context) and complained thusly.

So now the train is well off its original tracks which is where hopped on board. I read that thread when I did, I have no control of that. My post is on page 2 of the thread, not page 6, b/c I have my thread settings set that way. I won't apologize that your thread settings are set like a n00b. Do you even DGCR, bro? My post and argument are entirely appropriate for the topic you apparently accidentally introduced. Deal with it. Have a great day. :)

It was a lot simpler, our local sports shop only sold Innova and Discraft, but the store owners barely knew anything about disc golf much less know anything about the discs themselves, so we just ended up buying what we thought would work and learned by trial and error.

man I miss those days.

Our store sold Lightning largely.. (Knowing what I know now) with a massive markup! They never flew like their pictures on the front.. Well the hookshot did.. But the Slice nope not at our power level. I vaguely remember getting a Stingray and thinking it was crap, luckily I found another Scorpion.. We threw anything we bought, I remember the Tracer fondly and the Eclipse, I think those were both DC.

My annoyance is with these young folks and their constant improvement. They have no idea what it's like to be in decline, to be happy just to maintain a level a little while before sliding some more. So I have to constantly tell them that I used to be able to make this shot.

My doing so is clearly their annoyance.

But I have a backup plan. I'm old enough to have bought land and built a course, so if they complain I can truly say "Get off my lawn!", with some effect.

You do have a good lawn lol

My annoyance is with these young folks and their constant improvement. They have no idea what it's like to be in decline, to be happy just to maintain a level a little while before sliding some more. ...

See, you're doing it wrong. What you need to do is start out with no athletic ability whatsoever, then never practice. I can honestly say I'm still improving.

Which leads to my gripe: Some kid saying "I just hope I can play as well as you when I'm you're age."

You should only hope for that if you think I'm 93!

Which makes me think maybe they do.

See, you're doing it wrong. What you need to do is start out with no athletic ability whatsoever, then never practice. I can honestly say I'm still improving.

Which leads to my gripe: Some kid saying "I just hope I can play as well as you when I'm you're age."

You should only hope for that if you think I'm 93!

Which makes me think maybe they do.

I've discovered that no matter how small a hill is, it has a back side.

All the talk about Lightning and Scorpions and such. You know what tickles me to the very core? When I wind up playing a round with some of my friends who might not play even once per year and pull out their archaeological artifacts. I have a friend who has a lavender Chains Aviar sporting a rainbow-flashing stamp that's probably 8/10 or better. He also still carries some of my old Barracudas I gave him in 1997 when they were useless for me because I had hit more than four trees with them.

A nephew of mine has a pre-Thumbtrac Birdie, a Scorpion, and a 4-chain Soft Magnet (probably in better than 8/10 condition) in his bag. A circle-stamp Stingray too.

I always heap praise and love on these wonderful old souls when I see sunlight shine upon them at the course as it should be...

I kind of hate the argument that us fellow old farts use saying "there were less overstable sidearm friendly molds back in my day" as a reason for not learning the sidearm.

i totally agree with you though that a properly thrown backhand just looks beautiful compared to a sidearm. a good shot is a good shot regardless, but sidearm has the odd look like a left handed ball golfer.

Yeah, the conventional wisdom I had access to in 1996 (when the internet was still largely text-only, forget about stuff like YouTube videos on proper form!) was that forehands needed way overstable discs.

When I started playing, I threw my first golf discs like I threw frisbees--underhand. It was a major change for me to begin throwing backhand, so I concentrated on that. Once I got to the point where I could control the backhand well, I figured I only needed other throws for special situations. So I threw some hammers in specific situations and forehand snap rollers in others. Never even thought about throwing those off the tee until I encountered players who did.

Even now, while I work occasionally on improving my forehand, I just don't have any great desire to spend enough time on it to get great distance. I figure working out the flaws in my backhand is enough work for me, these days. :)

My biggest complaint is discs I use going out of production. In the past year we lost the Aero and the Impact. The Aero is the disc that I keep in every vehicle just in case. (And I used to like giving away to newbs.) And an ESP Impact is one of the best woods discs I've used.

This! So many of my favorite molds have gone OOP! The Aero, Eclipse, Typhoon....

My biggest complaint is discs I use going out of production. In the past year we lost the Aero and the Impact. The Aero is the disc that I keep in every vehicle just in case. (And I used to like giving away to newbs.) And an ESP Impact is one of the best woods discs I've used.

I have 6 of the Impact disc at the weight range it flew best 170-174 grams with most being 173 grams or lighter, a close second I have been told was a Wombat 3 in Star. The Wombat 3 is just a slightly slower fast midrange version of the Impact. I am more mad that Discraft is stopping the Stalker mold and right now Discraft is just burning through the inventory of discs, hard to find weights above 174 grams but then I like the Stalker at 170-172 gram weight set but I got that mold 2018 as an XL replacement as the Z went oop. Now I have about 6 of the Z Stalker as back up for the one in my bag and with how long the plastic lasts I am good. I still have a XL in ESP in my bag from 2008 as it flew better then the Z XL that is more flippy for some reason. I am only 30 right now, not sure If I should be posting though.

Latest posts