• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
I've read a lot of the various complaining about the durability of the base plastics of say Innova and Discraft. The first time I read one of those I laughed because back in my day all we had was base plastic and we were happy. I still remember the first monster chunk I took of out my very first DX Roc on a sign.

There is a bit of difference of modern DX and older 2000's DX, as well as a ton of difference with Pro D and DGA D from before mid 2005. So about then in mid 2005 the Pro D and D went from being the best baseline plastic to the worst ever, even now when including modern DX in the mix as Modern DX will have years it is still flexible but only as bad as a bad flexible run from the 2000's. Yeah I would be using true baseline plastic more if it were more stiff then it is now, yeah it might work better in winter but the older baseline from Discraft and Innova are better in the late spring- early fall when most disc golf is played as the discs do not taco as bad in the older plastic nor do the older discs get soft and or rubbery in really hot weather. Yeah I am only 30 but I have played since late 2003 when Lighting was still in the top 3 of companies, this is including Ching as its own brand and not a separate brand making its own discs at its own factory that Innova owned.

Last edited:
man I miss the 80's, disc golf in my hometown was finally starting to catch on, here in my parts of Wisconsin it was either football or fishing before that. Our first course was so small that even I could make it under par playing par 3 on all 9 holes.

It was a lot simpler, our local sports shop only sold Innova and Discraft, but the store owners barely knew anything about disc golf much less know anything about the discs themselves, so we just ended up buying what we thought would work and learned by trial and error.

man I miss those days.
Even if you played it was sometimes tricky. I remember getting Cheetahs in the shop; I didn't order them, I didn't know they existed. I think we had ordered Barracudas and got first run star stamped Cheetahs instead. So I'm trying to sell them, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be trying to tell people they fly like. My form was so bad that I couldn't throw it and know, and when I asked other people how it flew the answers were all over the place. It was someplace between a faster Viper and faster Stingray. :| I finally had to call Innova and ask. We got an updated flight chart with the Cheetah on it like a year later.

It was all about which one had the coolest animal on it... who wants a fish when you can have a big kitty.. Or a Scorpion or a Viper..

(102 votes..)

Which animal/ stamp was the least likely for people to buy?

Last edited:
Even if you played it was sometimes tricky. I remember getting Cheetahs in the shop; I didn't order them, I didn't know they existed. I think we had ordered Barracudas and got first run star stamped Cheetahs instead. So I'm trying to sell them, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be trying to tell people they fly like. My form was so bad that I couldn't throw it and know, and when I asked other people how it flew the answers were all over the place. It was someplace between a faster Viper and faster Stingray. :| I finally had to call Innova and ask. We got an updated flight chart with the Cheetah on it like a year later.

The Cheetah and the Stingray were the discs our local shop always seem to sell out of on a regular basis. the Discraft Eclipse and the Discraft Hawk were also hugely popular. We still have the course available to us now but there are talks about a waterpark being put in on that property which would wipe out the course completely. These days we have a larger 18 hole course as an option on the other side of town which is heavily wooded and more fun in my opinion.

I bet if I revisit that course I will throw the same way now as I did then. Back then I thought I was badass because I could launch a Stingray right under the basket from 225ft. After I got to bigger courses watching guys throwing drivers and mids 300ft plus I thought to myself. Oh Oh I have to learn how to that? This is going to be interesting.

It was all about which one had the coolest animal on it... who wants a fish when you can have a big kitty.. Or a Scorpion or a Viper..

(102 votes..)

Which animal/ stamp was the least likely for people to buy?
The Viper was a really terrible disc for low-power player, but I sold tons and tons of them because it had a badass snake stamp. :\

The Gazelle had the worst name/stamp for the kind of disc it was. You had to be an actual disc golfer who understood what you were buying to pick up a Gazelle.

Last edited:
Yes a lot of my friends threw DX Cheetahs and Gazelles and Stingrays back in the day. And DX Wolfs, but that is a separate conversation lol.

I can remember playing Calvert Road with 165 Whamm-o Frisbees, probably early 1980s. Every shot had a low ceiling, so it was a huge breakthrough when the Aviar came out and we could throw "far" without putting the disc way up in the air or throwing a roller.

The first driver I fell in love with was a DX Raven, probably in the 150s. Little bit of turn and a reliable fade, until it got beat up. But we played maybe 2-3 times a year so even DX drivers would last a while.

The Cheetah and the Stingray were the discs our local shop always seem to sell out of on a regular basis. the Discraft Eclipse and the Discraft Hawk were also hugely popular. We still have the course available to us now but there are talks about a waterpark being put in on that property which would wipe out the course completely. These days we have a larger 18 hole course as an option on the other side of town which is heavily wooded and more fun in my opinion.

I bet if I revisit that course I will throw the same way now as I did then. Back then I thought I was badass because I could launch a Stingray right under the basket from 225ft. After I got to bigger courses watching guys throwing drivers and mids 300ft plus I thought to myself. Oh Oh I have to learn how to that? This is going to be interesting.
I remember people bombing Eclipses, guys who could throw could hyzerflip those things a mile. I couldn't throw one to save my life, I could throw a Spitfire farther. :\

We put in a bomber course in '94. It was such an eye-opener that people could throw that far. We were so used to throwing 180' turnover shots through the woods that we never worked on just gripping and ripping. It was like a completely different game.

Yes a lot of my friends threw DX Cheetahs and Gazelles and Stingrays back in the day. And DX Wolfs, but that is a separate conversation lol.

I can remember playing Calvert Road with 165 Whamm-o Frisbees, probably early 1980s. Every shot had a low ceiling, so it was a huge breakthrough when the Aviar came out and we could throw "far" without putting the disc way up in the air or throwing a roller.

The first driver I fell in love with was a DX Raven, probably in the 150s. Little bit of turn and a reliable fade, until it got beat up. But we played maybe 2-3 times a year so even DX drivers would last a while.
I was really stoked when the Raven came out and threw one as my primary driver for about a year before I got over the mental barrier of "this is a mid/this is a driver" and realized I could throw a Roc farther. :( I mean the Raven was supposed to be the Viper for people who didn't have the arm to throw a Viper. It just didn't quite work out that way.

Yes, I found a DX Raven a few years ago and threw it for old times' sake.

Definitely underwhelming. :|

But Raven helped me learn that there were options beyond throwing straight at the target, so . . . :)

Before I ran into people who knew what they were doing (the CCR guys in Lansing at Grand Woods), I thought my 200' Stingray hyzer-flip RHFH was a great shot. It had the 1992 PDGA doubles stamp on it with the dinosaurs.

I had a Viper and Whippet with me too. Couldn't throw the Viper for crap. The Whippet was good for tomahawks like a baseball throw. Got my first ace that way. Lost all three of the Discs I've mentioned so far in the pond at Grand Woods in 1996.

I had a Cobra and Roc with me and couldn't throw either of them with a backhand. I COULD throw the Chains Aviar I had but not very far. I had a Lightning F-15 Eagle that I could sort-of RHFH. That was it. Just these Discs and my backpack.

I spent 7 years playing DG usually without ever seeing anybody else let alone somebody who knew what they were doing. I had no idea people could throw them as far as a whole football field until I saw a local pro nearly pin Hole #3 at Grand Woods with a black Cyclone. It was probably a 375' line drive shot on a straight-ahead wooded tunnel hole that's 400'. I'll never ever forget that. His name was Chad Sheppard and Jay Matthes (J-Bird) was there too.

When i lived in Michigan i played a few rounds with a 64 year old man i worked with. every round we played he would kick my butt. He has been playing for some time. doesn't throw far but throws straight. His PDGA member # is 1476

I have 6 of the Impact disc at the weight range it flew best 170-174 grams with most being 173 grams or lighter, a close second I have been told was a Wombat 3 in Star. The Wombat 3 is just a slightly slower fast midrange version of the Impact. I am more mad that Discraft is stopping the Stalker mold and right now Discraft is just burning through the inventory of discs, hard to find weights above 174 grams but then I like the Stalker at 170-172 gram weight set but I got that mold 2018 as an XL replacement as the Z went oop. Now I have about 6 of the Z Stalker as back up for the one in my bag and with how long the plastic lasts I am good. I still have a XL in ESP in my bag from 2008 as it flew better then the Z XL that is more flippy for some reason. I am only 30 right now, not sure If I should be posting though.

I found an XL many years ago. Was already stuck on the t-bird. At my level, it always struck me as very similar, but with more mid style versatility, if not wind fighting ability. It's a fun thrower. It still lives in my B bag.

I found an XL many years ago. Was already stuck on the t-bird. At my level, it always struck me as very similar, but with more mid style versatility, if not wind fighting ability. It's a fun thrower. It still lives in my B bag.

I use mostly a Z Stalker now as of 2018, found the mold flies like a straighter XL in terms of the dump at the end. More like the old 2000's ESP XL in flight.

Have you guys seen the big Z discraft sting? It's got a Scorpion on it.. I want one. It's an old urge and a different disc but hey can't fly much worse than the Innova one I have...

When I started playing, I threw my first golf discs like I threw frisbees--underhand. It was a major change for me to begin throwing backhand, so I concentrated on that. Once I got to the point where I could control the backhand well, I figured I only needed other throws for special situations. So I threw some hammers in specific situations and forehand snap rollers in others. Never even thought about throwing those off the tee until I encountered players who did.

Even now, while I work occasionally on improving my forehand, I just don't have any great desire to spend enough time on it to get great distance. I figure working out the flaws in my backhand is enough work for me, these days. :)

Same here. I remember the first time I threw a golf disc. Couldn't believe how different it was compared to a regular frisbee or even one of those Aerobie frisbees I still have with the rubber outer edge. Guess it didn't help that aside from a Teebird and a R-Pro Dart that the other discs I was given to play with at first were pretty OS.

Same here. I remember the first time I threw a golf disc. Couldn't believe how different it was compared to a regular frisbee or even one of those Aerobie frisbees I still have with the rubber outer edge. Guess it didn't help that aside from a Teebird and a R-Pro Dart that the other discs I was given to play with at first were pretty OS.

I still have an old 1980's second generation Aerobie Pro flying ring, was my dads toy that hurts to catch due to the Metal in the ring, as of the late 1990's-early 2000's they switched the inside for plastic.

I vote : Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded.
o.png

What I hate is the hills are steeper and the air is thinner. I go to a ski resort with some youngsters every summer (they are in their thirties) and I have to make them stop for a break before we get to the peak. Fifteen minutes is usually good.

Thing that makes me feel good is watching all the young kids bring huge ass backpack bags with 50 discs where they take 5 min each shot to decide which disc to n00b hyzer OOB. So being old ain't always bad..........

What I hate is the hills are steeper and the air is thinner. I go to a ski resort with some youngsters every summer (they are in their thirties) and I have to make them stop for a break before we get to the peak. Fifteen minutes is usually good.

Thing that makes me feel good is watching all the young kids bring huge ass backpack bags with 50 discs where they take 5 min each shot to decide which disc to n00b hyzer OOB. So being old ain't always bad..........

I've been playing with a group of 30 somethings this past year. They've gotten real good at slowing down for me and allowing me my extra breaks. I do appreciate it! :thmbup:

i remember when.....

i saw Steve Wisecup throwing Midnight Flyers the length of a football field warming up before a round in 82'.

the second year i was playing i met a guy from Las Vegas that could throw my mini (i got a few in a box of Super Puppies) upside down forehand that flipped completely over and flew almost the length of that same football field. he also sold me a proto star Aero that i used as my driver til 94'.

Latest posts