• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

one disc for my girl

MrGlass01

* Ace Member *
my girlfriend said she will start playing with my if i dye her a purple disc with silver stars on it. The dyeing is no problem but the disc, i have no clue.

would a light weight ION be a good one? ( if she doesn't like it i will! ) i was thinking a white blank.

I was also thinking mako or a neutral mid of some sort.

It needs to be a premium plastic to dye.

please help so she doesnt feel like my caddy/dog walker any more!

Thanks

I would look for something with a smaller rim. The Mako is a really big disc. A Classic roc is nice (My girlfriend loves it), and you can find it sometimes in champion plastic. Latitude 64 just came out with the diamond which is supposedly made for kids, or people with smaller hands, and it comes in OPTO plastic.

My female friends who play like to throw a 150 dx sidewinder or leopard. I know that doesn't help with your premium plastic goals, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

whatever you get, just make sure it's lightweight. I see girls out all the time with their boyfriends and half the time they are throwing the max weight driver.

maybe a lightweight esp buzz? they make those in the 120's. someone had one for sale a few days ago and I almost bought it to use as a loaner.

she has tried and sometimes uses the leopard. she is stubborn and wants a purple disc with silver stars!! gosh darn it i wish she would just throw, but she is willing to learn.

I was also thinking mako or a neutral mid of some sort.
That's what I'd do. You can go a bit understable, too. Just see which one she likes the best that comes in the plastic you want and get a light one. Anytime I bring someone brand new to disc sports out they usually find that the Stingray or MS is what works the best for them. There are a ton of discs in this category so finding one shouldn't be a problem.

i'd go 150 champion valkyrie

or you could do a lightweight panther/skeeter too if you want to stick with mids

Get her a (silver) 160's Gold line Fuse mask off the stars and dye the rest purple.

I think your ion and mako ideas are great. Star stingray would be good too. Maybe call GGGT or whomever and see which of those they have available in white? As long as you stick with these slower discs, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get it in light weight. I hope you don't try to get her to learn on distance drivers, regardless of weight.

I'm not experienced in dyes, but isn't silver hard to do? I know I've seen some discs in silver plastic. Maybe you could mask the stars and dye the rest of the silver disc purple? IDK, seems hard to me.

EDIT: Oh I see twocrows already suggested that lol. Sounds like a good idea if GL plastic can be dyed.

Last edited:
unless she has experience with throwing an ultimate disc or some kind of athletic background you definitely want to go with a lighter disc. Nothing heavier than 160.

whatever you get, just make sure it's lightweight. I see girls out all the time with their boyfriends and half the time they are throwing the max weight driver.

maybe a lightweight esp buzz? they make those in the 120's. someone had one for sale a few days ago and I almost bought it to use as a loaner.

Those superlight Buzzzs don't take dye well and it turns out to look more like a dye on a Pro-D if your lucky a X. I think it was Bennett who tried it and said it terrible. I know that Gateway does a ton of 150 stuff, so maybe a white sabre in HPP, they take dye pretty well, should be a nice neutral flight.

THE WEDGE!!!! It's good for small hands, excellent glide, and will give her a great introduction without much frustration. I would go 170g-175g.

Was at a local course last week and a group of players walked up the the first tee. One of the guys was explaining to his girlfriend the basics - "Start on tee and throw from where it lands until it goes in the basket". He then proceeds to hand her a DX Whippet to use - Started to say something but got the impression he wasn't much for advice. What an introduction to the game.

^ love that. Welcome to the game, here's a disc you will never throw straight.

Those superlight Buzzzs don't take dye well and it turns out to look more like a dye on a Pro-D if your lucky a X. I think it was Bennett who tried it and said it terrible. I know that Gateway does a ton of 150 stuff, so maybe a white sabre in HPP, they take dye pretty well, should be a nice neutral flight.
I'm almost 100% sure all their light weight stuff is in S plastic. I tried to get some HPP stuff in the 160's and they said it couldn't be done (or maybe they just don't bother).

Getting a light neutral/understable mid in champion plastic might be hard. 150 Champion Stingray would be perfect; unfortunately they are hard to come by. The other disc I was thinking about is a Z Breeze which is also out of production.

Latest posts