• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One disc, two questions

Do you guys just play a round on the actual course after an ace race? I always wanted to do that but after the 50ish holes and the games afterwards, everyone I'm with wants to call it a day.

I've participated in three Ace Races. Multiple groups stayed and played the course normally after each of those three, myself included.

When I run the course (More like a steady walk anymore) I usually use an Aero. I keep one in every vehicle.

Since the Aero is OOP, I'm thinking that when the last of my stock dies I'll switch to an Aurora. Maybe in quantum plastic.

I lost to a FB last week. It was fun to watch dude hit 50' putts with the beef.

If your one disc round disc isnt a putter, you are not getting everything out of your putter.

... or you're not getting everything out of your Firebird! ;-P

I'd probably take the JB Zone, which I bag, and not my D P3 putting and throwing putter, because a disc with fade feels more versatile for me than a disc without fade.

Yeti Aviar. I use them in my bag too. No other disc I would choose for a single disc round.

Home Course (Castle Hayne DGC, Wilmington, NC):
Probably a McPro Roc3.
It's okay in the wind, will hold the line you put it on, will actually go some distance, and I can putt with it fairly well.
First Runner Up:
Cryztal FLX Ringer
Same reasons as above

Honestly I can do work with just a Firebird, but if I only get one I'd probably pick a Bard or Matrix.

My go-to one disc round disc is a Roc. I believe I play more one disc rounds with a DX BB Aviar; but if it was a competitive round, I'd go with a Roc. Don't carry a bag, but I've been using a roc as my only mid for quite a few years now.

this question got me thinking, "Am I actually any better off with all of these discs than I was when I only played with a few molds?"

I dropped to using only 4 discs about eight years ago and down to just 3 discs a few years later. I've been using the exact same three discs going into their fourth season now. I am personally convinced that I gain more than I lose playing this way. YMMV; but if you are wondering if you might do better with fewer molds, I'd say you ought to give extreme disc minimalization a try.

You're only allowed to use one disc for a round.

1. What is it? Please explain your reasoning
2. If this disc is so useful for everything, do you actually bag it and use it, or do you have other discs that do each thing a little better?

1. Any of these would be fine with me, in order of preference: DX/KC Roc, D/P Line P2, Classic Aviar, C Line FD. They can all be thrown on hyzer/flat/anny, and both BH and FH. I feel comfortable with them and trust that if I do my job, they will too. Honorable mentions: Champ Mako3 and Condor for fun.

2. I bag and use Rocs, P2s, Classic Aviars, and FDs. Especially Rocs and Classic Aviars; have bins of them ranging from new/unthrown to beat and about to crack. Disc selection depends on the line, wind, and distance.

I'd probably go with a P line MD3. I can get some distance, hit just about any line with one and powered down it wouldn't be a too beefy. I like the idea of doing this to get another P line MD3 beat in and seasoned. If I lose the one I have been throwing for a year I'll be in some trouble.

Latitude 64 Core

The Latitude 64 Core (recycled) is the one disc I would choose. I can do pretty much anything with it. Whats funny is that no one I have ever played with has bagged a Core and I think it is the best utility disc out there. I can shape it in either direction and it holds the line to the ground and can also get a bit greater than putter distance out of it.

The Latitude 64 Core (recycled) is the one disc I would choose. I can do pretty much anything with it. Whats funny is that no one I have ever played with has bagged a Core and I think it is the best utility disc out there. I can shape it in either direction and it holds the line to the ground and can also get a bit greater than putter distance out of it.

I bag and use an Opto Core. Love the thing for my understable needs. Glides forever.

I play 1 disc rounds all the time. Depending on how I'm feeling I'll use my old champ Rhyno or a dx/ xt Polecat.

Both discs are always in my bag, Rhyno is my main putter. It replaced the Polecat years ago, but I still love them kittys.

Well you know Envy is my first choice but usually I throw two at a time.. Just got in from doing that tonight... second choice Tangent, 3rd Comet, Spin and sometimes a Relay or Crave.

They're all in the bag and I'm a small bag advocate.. I have actually been carrying doubles in putters and fairways in a 10 disc nutsac.

... or you're not getting everything out of your Firebird! ;-P

I'd probably take the JB Zone, which I bag, and not my D P3 putting and throwing putter, because a disc with fade feels more versatile for me than a disc without fade.

Lol :D Yeah well the few times Ive seen clubs host 1-disc weeklies and list the discs used, something like a Firebird has been at the top often. Putter guys not. Depends a lot on the course of course, but score-wise a FB will probably do well on most. But for versatility of shots, and the benefit to technique, I will choose the Wizard, even if the alternate reality of me throwing a driver would score lower due mostly to wind resistance, predictability and added range.

Depends on the course mostly, but also the weather and how awesome I feel on any given day.

Now one disc doubles can get really interesting... I've played that a few times... we've got a guy out here that uses a star beast for everything he does really well on those days. If my partner is less skilled with a putter then they often choose a driver and I will go Tangent for putting power, If they're a good putter I will go with a 155 Inertia and try to pick up an extra 75' on every drive.

DX Rhyno

Very good all around disc for me. Would miss some distance but probably score the same on most holes anyway.

You're only allowed to use one disc for a round.

1. What is it? Please explain your reasoning
2. If this disc is so useful for everything, do you actually bag it and use it, or do you have other discs that do each thing a little better?

I'd kind of prefer to go through this exercise for a given course.

1. Big Z or heavy Z Buzzz. My game needs something I can use backhand or forehand, and a Buzzz fits that bill, both for touch shots and higher power ones. Again, this would be different depending on what course, as longer courses could easily see me picking a Teebird or Undertaker type of disc, and shorter ones could see me preferring an Ion.

2. Yes I bag it and use it frequently. If I had my full bag, I would not use my Buzzz for every shot, even if the Buzzz were an option. My Comet, for example, would hit anny or turnover lines that I would have used a forehand Buzzz for. I'd say all of the discs in my bag do something a little better than the Buzzz, and that's why I bag them.