• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One or two courses on a cross country trip...

InnocentCrook

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My wife and I did some travel nursing for the last year. It was great, we got to spend a whole year traveling around the west coast. (NorCal and Seattle with a little time in Portland). Currently in Yuba City, CA heading back home to Cincinnati, OH.

While home visiting for the holidays, I had an interview and got a job with my previous empoloyer so it's about time to make the long drive back. My wife's current contract doesn't run out until the end of February, but I start on the 23rd of this month, so I'll be going solo and she'll be a month or so later.

My question is this... The quickest route is basically I-80 from around Grass Valley, CA all the way back to the Indianapolis area then I-74 to Cincy. I'm gonna be pinched hard for time (Need to complete the drive in 4-5 days), and I'll have our dog (chihuahua) with me. Is there one or two courses on this route, this time of year, worth hitting in order to break up the drive?

Also, with it being winter, do you think it would make more sense to take a more southern route like down California, then into Vegas and then to Denver and back on I-70? Course(s) on this route? Obviously snow could still be an issue on this route.

The last option would be down into Arizona, NM, North Texas, Oklahoma, etc. Slightly longer route, but there shouldn't be any weather issues. This would be mostly on I-40.

Thanks for the help.

you've got 4-5 days and you're pinched for time?

i'd just take the quickest route if the weather isn't that bad, i definitely wouldn't go the I-40 route. that'll add a ton of time to your trip and even on I-40 you can hit bad weather in Arizona and New Mexico. i got stuck on I-40 in a blizzard two or three years ago in december.

I'd suspect no matter what route you take through the Rockies, there's going to be some snow issues there. Once you get through there though, its pretty free and clear either way.

http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weather/Snow/Cover.aspx

The states that those highways run though are very vigilant about keeping those roads plowed ASAP after a storm. Having snow on the ground is no hazard provided that those roads are cleared, albeit it could make a round of DG less enjoyable.

Now a storm actively hitting as you're taking the trip, well, that's another matter, and you're not really going to know the answer on that one until you're just about set to take off.

So, assuming all goes well, it just matters on what type of course you'd like to play. Wooded vs. open. Elevated vs. flat? Is hitting a quality course and having to drive a bit off the interstate more important than having a quickly accessible one that may be just okay?

There are numerous options available on all three routes.

The last option would be down into Arizona, NM, North Texas, Oklahoma, etc. Slightly longer route, but there shouldn't be any weather issues. This would be mostly on I-40.

If you're assuming that route doesn't get bad weather, you're sadly mistaken. They just got hit with a bad blizzard last month.

Last edited:
5 days would be pushing it. I've done the drive in 2 days and it's downright miserable, mind numbingly miserable. At four days it's about 10 hours of driving per day which isn't too bad. 5 days would be a luxury. I'm leaving the evening of the 17th and driving all night. I need to be home on the 20th or 21st at the latest so I have some time to unpack, unwind, and get our house (currently empty) set back up before returning to work on the 23rd.

The I-40 route actually only adds about 4-5 hours to the total drive (Basically the drive south in Cali) and it would take me through a part of the country I've never been to, so that part is a bit tempting. The I-70 route through Vegas and Denver takes the same amount of time. (41 hrs. of driving time. The quickest I-80 route is 36 hrs.)

I haven't played any courses in between Cali and Indiana, so one or possibly 2 along each of these routes would be awesome.

Last edited:
I suppose slc would be a logical stop to break up the drive. Creekside is the only course I've played, it's solid, though I wouldn't call it a must play, it's about the only thing I recommend along i80 until you get to Des Moines. if you need a break in Wyoming, dry creek is ok. cotton mill in Kearney is a solid choice, worth the play. Omaha courses I'll get back to you on next week. Iowa has incredible golf and would require at least a week to fully appreciate. Can't go wrong in Des Moines: pickard is a must, walnut and Ewing are great. Quad cities can't miss west lake and Camden 2. Illinois has ok golf, eureka and Northwood are solid.

In summary, must plays: pickard, west lake, and Camden 2.

So, assuming all goes well, it just matters on what type of course you'd like to play. Wooded vs. open. Elevated vs. flat? Is hitting a quality course and having to drive a bit off the interstate more important than having a quickly accessible one that may be just okay?

There are numerous options available on all three routes.

If you're assuming that route doesn't get bad weather, you're sadly mistaken. They just got hit with a bad blizzard last month.

I'm only assuming the likelyhood of that type of weather should be less than through the northern-most route which takes me right through the heart of the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies.

The closer to the interstate the better, but I'd be willing to venture off about 45 min to and hour if the course was worth it. I've played all sorts of courses and I enjoy the variety, so flat, elevation, wooded, open, etc. doesn't matter much. If I'm only gonna hit one or possibly two, I'd prefer if they were rated around a high 3 or better.

This part of the world is very unpredictable in winter. I-40 can be closed at a moments notice when the storms roll through. You can get stuck in some small town motel for a day or 2 waiting for the interstate to re-open. If you do make it past the closed areas before they get really bad, you're not guaranteed good roads. It's taken me 12 hours to travel from Albq. to Amarillo during a storm, a trip that usually takes 4 hours.

On the other hand, winters are fairly mild usually. We play year-round here, even in the snow and ice. If you travel between storm fronts, it's usually pleasant driving conditions.

Either way, pay attention to the weather for a few days before your trip and plan accordingly.

This part of the world is very unpredictable in winter. I-40 can be closed at a moments notice when the storms roll through. You can get stuck in some small town motel for a day or 2 waiting for the interstate to re-open. If you do make it past the closed areas before they get really bad, you're not guaranteed good roads. It's taken me 12 hours to travel from Albq. to Amarillo during a storm, a trip that usually takes 4 hours.

On the other hand, winters are fairly mild usually. We play year-round here, even in the snow and ice. If you travel between storm fronts, it's usually pleasant driving conditions.

Either way, pay attention to the weather for a few days before your trip and plan accordingly.

If this does happen, be aware that a state of emergency is often declared in these small Towns, red cross will then open a free shelter to stay at.

I'm only assuming the likelyhood of that type of weather should be less than through the northern-most route which takes me right through the heart of the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies.
This is true, but also consider that the authorities that clear the highway along the southern route may not be as well equipped to deal with things should a bad storm hit. I honestly would have some "plan B" routes considered, and maybe try to clear the mountain stretch ASAP. Heading south delays things a bit.

The closer to the interstate the better, but I'd be willing to venture off about 45 min to and hour if the course was worth it. I've played all sorts of courses and I enjoy the variety, so flat, elevation, wooded, open, etc. doesn't matter much. If I'm only gonna hit one or possibly two, I'd prefer if they were rated around a high 3 or better.
My personal recommendations along the three routes.

I-80: Much of what Martin suggested....
Cottonmill DGC - Kearney, NE. Very challenging and surprisingly elevated for central NE. May be a bit frustrating for a first timer to navigate.
Max Roper Park - Lincoln, NE. Nothing special, but its right off the interstate and is 27 holes.
Hummel Park- Omaha, NE. Brand new, supposedly extremely challenging and getting a lot of high marks on here as of late, but no tee pads yet and no accurate map, so might be too much for a first timer.
Seymour Smith Park - Omaha, NE. Omaha's rec style course. Nothing special challenge wise, and as you can tell in the pictures, way overused, but it's fun. Best get here before noon.
Treasure Cove DGC - Council Bluffs, IA. Right across the river from Omaha, and jsut off I-80. Neat college campus course with lots of trees and elevation. $1 fee.
Grandview Park - Des Moines, IA. Essentially the Des Moines version of Seymour, but a lot better.
Walnut Ridge - Des Moines, IA. My favorite DSM area course. Gate to this place will likely be closed, although there is supposedly a back way in off a neighboring street if you don't mind some walking and not starting at Tee #1. Not recommended for a first timer as it can be tricky to navigate.
Ewing Park - Des Moines, IA. Des Moines crown jewel course. I like WR a little better though.
Lewis Club Park - Colfax, IA. Hidden gem course in a small town east of DSM. Lots of elevation here and at least two big downhill bomb holes.
Maytag Park - Newton, IA. Park golf, but very good park golf.
Turkey Creek - Coralville, IA. Fun course with some cool wooded shots. Not as good as nearby Sugar Bottom which is unfortunately closed for the winter.
Penninsula Park - Iowa City, IA.
Good course with dual tees, and can be very challenging. Some unfortunate problems with flooding and bugs have sullied its reputation a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem right now. Close to I-80 as well.
Middle Park- Bettendorf, IA. My personal favorite QC area course. Some big bomb park golf holes on the front, and some shorter densely wooded ones on the back.
Camden Park - I and Camden Park II - Milan, IL. Both are challenging. Camden I is more rec friendly. Haven't gotten to play II yet, because it wasn't quite finished when I was there.
Prospect Park - Moline, IL. Fun shorter course, but still has lots of elevation in a rather compact park.

I-70:
Frontier Park - Hays, KS. Beautiful park golf course with multiple tees and creek crossings. Can be tricky to navigate in some spots and signage is lacking. Printing out a map advised.
Thomas Park - Salina, KS. Mostly densely wooded and unforgiving. Again, navigation can be tricky in spots. Good signage though, and spacious tees.
Wyandotte County Park - Bonner Springs, KS. If you like long bomber holes, with some sporadic trees on rolling hills, this is your course.
Rosedale Park and Rosedale Down Under - Kansas City, KS. Top course is old school but still fun, gets crowded after 10 AM. Down under is wooded but challenging. Can be tough to find, much less navigate.
Water Works Park - Kansas City, MO. Duh. Its so good, its inspired its own colloquialism regarding rollaway discs. "You got worked." :thmbup:
Cliff Drive - Kansas City, MO. Good wooded front nine, decent but open back nine. Kind of in a sketchy neighborhood.
Blue Valley Park- Kansas City, MO. Over 11,000 feet when set in the longs. Overrated IMO, but sometimes you want to play a course like this just to say that you did.
Wilbur Young Park - Blue Springs, MO. New wooded course out in the east KC suburbs. Very wooded + elevation + water holes = extremely challenging.
Albert Oakland Park - Front and Back - Columbia, MO. Front is vintage old school course with Mach I baskets, supposedly the first built in MO. Back course is more densely wooded, but has some navigation issues.

I-40/I-44: I'm only familiar with the OK and southwest MO sections.
Dolese Youth Park - Oklahoma City, OK. Good mixed course with plenty of trees on the west side of OKC. There are better courses in the south suburbs, but this one will fit the bill.
Tye F. Cunningham DGC - Edmond, OK. Good course up on the north side with a nice mix of holes.
Hunter Park - Tulsa, OK. Good course on the south side of Tulsa with lots of trees, some elevation, and one creek which always seems to catch my discs.
Mohawk Park - Blackhawk and Redhawk - Tulsa, OK. Black is more wooded and challenging. Red is more conventional park golf with two back to back long bomb holes. $2 park entry on some days.
McClure Park - Tulsa, OK. Good old school park course enjoyed by locals with frequent creek crossings. The creek on Hole 8 here always swallows my drives.
Course Dovillio - Tulsa, OK. McClure's sister course, just blocks away. Flatter and longer, but still has some challenging shots.
McClelland Park - Joplin, MO. Kind of in an open pocket, with a wooded perimeter. Has decent elevation, with some downhill bombs. 27 holes to keep you happy.

Last edited:
Great info from everyone. Thank you.

I'll probably have a few routes as suggested and adjust with the weather reports. I'll be sure to have a list of courses and just stop and play if the weather seems nice.

The I-40 route actually only adds about 4-5 hours to the total drive (Basically the drive south in Cali) and it would take me through a part of the country I've never been to, so that part is a bit tempting.

I did Wilmington, NC to Santa Cruz, CA in 51hrs with another driver. We did stop at some sightseeing stuff a couple times and take some slight detours. Driving straight like that does really take it out of you.

That route does have some beautiful landscape along the way, excluding the second half of New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma.. where it's just flat and nothingness forever.

Arizona is beautiful, i mean absolutely beautiful if you're in to the western style desert type stuff. The Ozarks in Arkansas are great too, if you do end up going that way I highly suggest taking a bit of a detour up to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch. if you don't mind a long hike and dirt tee pads you'll be in for a treat. Russellville DGC and Old Post DGC are also in Arkansas and right off I-40. both are great courses with some amazing landscapes.

I think you would go through Nashville, TN if you go that route as well. That city has some top tier disc golf. If you go there you've got to stop at Cedar Hill Park or Seven Oaks.

Man all of this talk of these courses makes me want to go back really bad.

If you hit I-70 thru MO hit me up @ Quail Ridge in Wentzville just west of St Louis.

When you do choose a route, don't discount I-40 just because a few people only highlight the conditions that are perfect for agriculture and beef production. When I-40 was built the designers took advantage of the terrain to minimize construction costs so yes, it does follow the flat areas where possible. I've seen disc golf tourists come through this area and never leave the highway, then report there is nothing of value in the area. This could not be farther from the truth.

To fully enjoy this part of the world, you'll have to leave the interstate system behind. The course in my town is several miles north of I-40, and the terrain is heavily influenced by the Canadian River. East Amarillo Creek is a tributary of this river and it's start is where the Disc Creek Course is. There are very few flat areas and even many big, mature trees of different varieties (mostly Elm and Cottonwood) on the course. It plays as a PAR 58 so don't arrive thinking it's a cheesy pitch&putt course.

If you head south a few miles (10 mi.), you'll run into the headwaters of the Red River and the incredible ditch that it made, which we call Palo Duro Canyon. One of Texas's best State Parks, it is home to many species of wildlife and plants that is sure to amaze even the most demanding tourists.

I don't know if sightseeing is on your list of activities during your trip, but opportunities abound if you'll just get off the Interstate.

Update: I've had time to look through all the info you guys threw out there. (Thanks again!)

Looking like the I-40 and I-44 route is gonna be the one to win out. Mostly because I've never been through that region of the US, and if I'm not mistaken it will get me to the point where I've been in all of the contiguous 48 states.

The northern weather doesn't look awful, but I've seen all of that on a few drives already. Strong winds through Wyoming around the time I'd be rolling through are a concern considering I'll be driving a pickup with a trailer.

I'll be leaving Tues. evening around 7 or 8 pm and driving all night, likely getting me into Flagstaff, AZ around lunchtime on Wed. If I have to stop somewhere for a couple hour nap it might push me to middle afternoonish. I'm thinking Thorpe Park.

From there it's on through Albuquerque and Amarillo towards OKC and Tulsa. I'm a National Park junky, so I might have to stop off at the Petrified Forest NP to have a quick look around, maybe a quick walk on the paved trails with my dog. Didn't realize how many courses were in the Tulsa area! Maybe Hunter Park, maybe McClure. McClure looks a lot like some of my favorites from the Cincy area, just maybe a little more open. Might not be a bad thing. I have a feeling my brain is gonna be a bit fried by that point of the drive. Hunter looks really nice too, just a tad more wooded, which I normally enjoy.

If the weather is nice, and I have the time, maybe one round in the greater St. Louis or Louisville area before I hit the home stretch towards my home city of Independence, KY.

If anyone along this route thinks they might be able to meet up and maybe play guide, just shoot me a PM. It would certainly be appreciated. Also, if anyone ever needs a guide for the Cincy courses, hit me up. I love meeting new folks from the site and especially enjoy guiding the courses that I get to play regularly.

Thanks again,
Crook

Latest posts