• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opinions on THIS basket placement

Any Pics? O.O I have seen Mucho Flyboy coverage (Thank You Billy Crump) and I do NOT remember a sunkin' basket hole.... :confused:
I think it was hole 22 or 23 in the layout I played several years ago. It was right after the shorter runway hole playing downhill toward the hangar.

Any Pics? O.O I have seen Mucho Flyboy coverage (Thank You Billy Crump) and I do NOT remember a sunkin' basket hole.... :confused:

I think it was hole 22 or 23 in the layout I played several years ago. It was right after the shorter runway hole playing downhill toward the hangar.

Flyboy is ever-evolving. There are currently 2, partially-overlapping 18 holes layouts, or a 27 hole layout that includes all of the older layout plus the first 9 of the newer Viper layout. The sunken basket is currently the first hole of the Viper, or the 19th hole of the 27-hole layout.

It may not have been in older videos because it may not have been created at the time those were shot. Or it might have been created, but not used (it's right next to the hangar, so it could have been just a sideshow). Just speculation, as I've only been there during the last 2 years.

https://youtu.be/eiwzDdBL4is

Each of the 18 holes at the Flying Armadillo mini course includes a different "gimmick". Examples include a sunken basket, an elevated basket (lighthouse) and everything in between. The hole that has been aced more often than any other is the sunken basket. Most players consider it to be the easiest hole on the mini course.

Sunken basket adds a "deuce or die" element to a hole. However many shots are designed to get to the pin; you have to slide yours in on first try, of the putt stage, to "keep pace" with the field.

Kind of adds a ball golf element as well; as you can almost hit it; but end up with your "slide putt" sitting on the edge; but not quite falling in.

I've played the Flyboy hole more than once. Don't remember if the Hippodrome one was in when I played there. At a course like Flyboy, where deuces are tough to come by, it grants a nice opportunity to get one. So, it works there; IMHO.

Trophy Lakes has one, and I feel exactly the same. It's fun. Two in one state are probably enough.

Though, beyond a certain age, it can be a pain retrieving made shots. And by "pain" I mean, well, pain.

This would be my biggest complaint/problem. Although I think I would like this better than elevated baskets.

You old guys with your facy carts just need one of these:

NP-10200-2.jpg

Why bend over to pickup any disc?! :p

Basket seems like it might be fun, but I think it would be harder if the bottom of the basket was at ground level, not the rim. I don't really like the slide it in option.

I've played the sunken basket at Trophy Lakes. Honestly torn about it, because Trophy Lakes does an excellent job at utilizing the given space to maximize the disc golf utilization, but that hole feels a bit gimmicky. That being said, missing a putt is basically impossible.

IMO, this should not be allowed in tournament play, just because the disc can be slid or rolled into the target. I'm all for target golf, and every kind of catching device for casual rounds. Go crazy and have fun. But for tourneys, there needs to be more standardization. You could even go so far as to say no more elevated, or hanging baskets.

Hah, as luck would have it, the washing machine flooded and soaked a box of old magazines I had on the floor. At the bottom of the box were a bunch of old disc golf magazines, one of which had a picture of the hole I was trying to think of earlier. I was a little off the mark, it's actually in Potsdam, Germany.

4ec1055b.jpg

IMO, this should not be allowed in tournament play, just because the disc can be slid or rolled into the target. I'm all for target golf, and every kind of catching device for casual rounds. Go crazy and have fun. But for tourneys, there needs to be more standardization. You could even go so far as to say no more elevated, or hanging baskets.

So, you want every shot to be the Same and to become monotonous?:confused: I can't Honestly CANNOT imagine doing away with Elevated baskets for tourney play....

Hah, as luck would have it, the washing machine flooded and soaked a box of old magazines I had on the floor. At the bottom of the box were a bunch of old disc golf magazines, one of which had a picture of the hole I was trying to think of earlier. I was a little off the mark, it's actually in Potsdam, Germany.

4ec1055b.jpg

This is actually kinda Pretty, in my mind. Looks like FUN. :hfive:

I dunno... ive picked up some pretty sketchy **** from behind the dyer and discs hanging from wall above office desk.

Wedge that side under the lip and grip! you old peeps need to keep the sparks sparking.

So, you want every shot to be the Same and to become monotonous?:confused: I can't Honestly CANNOT imagine doing away with Elevated baskets for tourney play....

I never said that every shot should be the same. Having a tournament standard for the height of the basket off the ground, or "playing surface" would not be a bad thing. That's all I'm really saying.

Latest posts