• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Optional Relief Clarification

illuminatefreak

Par Member
So, I've never played in a tournament, but my friends and I try to play as close to tournament rules as possible during our rounds. This rule has us scratching our heads. I'm specifically talking about rule 803.02 Optional Relief and Optional Re-throw.

Here are some of my/our specific questions:

1. Can you do this at any time for any reason (ie. you don't like your lie in the middle of a field)

2. What does "and is on the line of the play" mean? Does this mean your new lie needs to be somewhere in the line of flight of the previous throw?

3. If you go OB, could you use this rule if the 1meter OB rule "doesn't work for you" at no extra penalty? In other words, instead using the 1meter OB rule you use this one in its place? If so, what are your options for the new lie?

Sorry if this is a super novice question... it's a pretty obscure rule that seems to leave a lot to interpretation.

Last edited:
So, I've never played in a tournament, but my friends and I try to play as close to tournament rules as possible during our rounds. This rule has us scratching our heads. I'm specifically talking about rule 803.02 Optional Relief and Optional Re-throw.

1. Can you do this at any time for any reason (ie. you don't like your lie in the middle of a field)

Yes

2. What does "and is on the line of the play" mean? Does this mean your new lie needs to be somewhere in the line of flight of the previous throw?

The line of play is the imaginary line from the target passing through the center of the disc. The lie may be relocated anywhere along this line behind the current lie.

3. If you go OB, could you use this rule if the 1meter OB rule "doesn't work for you" at no extra penalty? In other words, instead using the 1meter OB rule you use this one in its place? If so, what are your options for the new lie?

I think the only way this could apply is by doing this for the relocated lie on the in bounds position. So you go OB, relocate to last inbounds point with a penalty, and then have the option to take optional relief with another penalty. An OB disc does not have a line of play, and thus, there's no line on which to take relief.

Sorry if this is a super novice question... it's a pretty obscure rule that seems to leave a lot to interpretation.

Answers in red.

1. Yes. It does cost you a 1-throw penalty.
2. From where you start, look at the basket and move backwards keeping your starting point and basket in line. No moving to either side of that line.
3. You can use Optional Relief AFTER taking the penalty for OB if you don't like where your mark is located. However, your smarter play is to just go back to your previous lie and re-throw which is allowed as an OB marking option.

1. Yes
"A player may elect at any time to take optional relief."

Most players do not elect to use this provision based on.
"One penalty throw shall be added to the player's score."

Most likely scenario is stuck of a thorn bush.

2. Line of play is 800.02 Definitions.
Line of Play
"The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond."

Basically where you disc landed to your target, mostly the basket unless there is a mando between your lie and the basket.

3.If you go OB you most likely would use Section B, rethrow or take the OB penalty and throw 1 meter in from OB. If you use section A, you will get one stroke for OB and additional stroke for Optional Relief.

If you go OB off the tee pad I believe that you could just re-tee if for some reason that was going to work better. Which is sort of a hybrid answer for question 1 & 3.

If you go OB off the tee pad I believe that you could just re-tee if for some reason that was going to work better. Which is sort of a hybrid answer for question 1 & 3.

To simplify it further, consider this. The optional relief rule applies once the lie has been established. So for an OB throw with no drop zone, you have two options for establishing the lie, both incurring a one throw penalty: relocate to the last point inbounds, or return to the previous lie.

Once you've chosen the new lie, you have the opportunity to take optional relief (provided the chosen lie is not a tee or drop zone) with an additional one throw penalty.

I think it should be noted...

803.01 Obstacles and Relief

B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).

But the 5m cap only applies when not taking a penalty. If taking the penalty then there's no limit other than OB or park boundaries.

But the 5m cap only applies when not taking a penalty. If taking the penalty then there's no limit other than OB or park boundaries.

so you can take 5m relief whenever you want without a penalty and more than 5m whenever you want with a penalty?

so you can take 5m relief whenever you want without a penalty and more than 5m whenever you want with a penalty?
That's not what it says. You can get up to 5m free behind obstacles specifically defined as casual but you don't get the full 5m if it only takes 3m to get out of the casual obstacle. If you take a penalty, you can go back as far as you want past 5m whether it's a casual obstacle or anything else you wish to move back from.

That's not what it says. You can get up to 5m free behind obstacles specifically defined as casual but you don't get the full 5m if it only takes 3m to get out of the casual obstacle. If you take a penalty, you can go back as far as you want past 5m whether it's a casual obstacle or anything else you wish to move back from.

okay, that's what i thought. got confused for a second.

Latest posts