• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Orion LF vs. viking vs. teebird

funnystance

Par Member
i throw the orion lfs and love em. when ive picked up teebirds and vikes they all seem very similar to me. care to share what you think the diff.s are b/t these three molds? (speed, glide, fade etc?)

For me, Vikes and Orion LFs are similar with the Orion being slightly longer and slightly faster. If a Vike is speed 9, Orion is 9.5. They both turn more and fade harder than a Teebird.

I can throw DX Teebirds basically as far as Orion LFs, but they need a higher line. They don't turn or fade once they are slightly broken in. In all other plastics, the Teebird is shorter than the Viking for me.

I don't throw Vikings anymore, but I have had Orions and Teebirds in the bag for 3 years.

This raises a question, how does the viking compare to the PD. I know the PD would be faster. I haven't thrown a Viking since the 1st run.

they are not at all very similar from the one and only first run pd Ive thrown which is basically a slightly faster, beefier teebird whereas the viking is a lot more like a valkyrie but with beefier, straigher flight characteristics.

The olf seems to faster and have more fade than the viking. I really like the viking but I haven't gotten as many rounds in with the olf.

The good thing about the viking is that it seems to be a faster disc for lower power players. Blake rated it a 4 on his chart, and it's faster than an orc, flash, and other discs that are rated 5.

sunspot said:
The good thing about the viking is that it seems to be a faster disc for lower power players. Blake rated it a 4 on his chart, and it's faster than an orc, flash, and other discs that are rated 5.

This is simply and unequivocally untrue. Orc and Flash are absolutely faster than the Viking. The viking is made from the same core as the Valk and Firebird, aka, speed 9. The Orc has a wider rim and the wing has a thinner profile (flash wing almost identical to orc) and is a speed 10. I've thrown all extensively and the difference is even greater than one step imo.

discspeed said:
This is simply and unequivocally untrue. Orc and Flash are absolutely faster than the Viking. The viking is made from the same core as the Valk and Firebird, aka, speed 9. The Orc has a wider rim and the wing has a thinner profile (flash wing almost identical to orc) and is a speed 10. I've thrown all extensively and the difference is even greater than one step imo.

I should have said more range potential (which carries over to distance), not faster, sorry.

sunspot said:
discspeed said:

I should have said more range potential (which carries over to distance), not faster, sorry.

I just looked at the chart and at first i misunderstood what I think you are misunderstanding...that is that the range is not listed in descending order from furthest to shortest, but rather they are arranged in descending order from overstable to understable relative to range class. So in other words, the Viking does not have more range potential than the Flash and Orc, rather it is in the same relative class.

gotcha.

I've looked over the chart several times and never really realized the same speed class, descending stability graph. I would usually check for the disc that I was interested in and look at it's numbers.

Latest posts