• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] OS Fairway?

xXx.

Not sure why I dont have one of these in Frost come to think of it.

Anyway, its fine tuning from your FBs, but its a great disc.

If you want something really fxing OS and you want something that differentiates more, try the Hyzerbomb MOAB. Flat topped for champ viper forehand goodness.

Yea, I was thinking not quite Firebird OS, but longer than my Buzzz OS

Wind fighter/shorter hyzer/ shorter FH disc? If that makes sense? The Thunderbird almost does it, its just a little long sometimes on the hyzer-

I'm leaning towards the Lat64 Spark at the moment, i like the feel of Swedish plastic even in opto for some reason, it doesn't seem as stiff as Champ

Wind fighter/shorter hyzer/ shorter FH disc? If that makes sense? The Thunderbird almost does it, its just a little long sometimes on the hyzer-

I'm leaning towards the Lat64 Spark at the moment, i like the feel of Swedish plastic even in opto for some reason, it doesn't seem as stiff as Champ

you are describing the fd3 to a T.

Bought a champ Banshee at PIAS last week, slight dome, 170g. It's quickly become a favorite disc in my bag. On a hard flat throw it starts straight, then goes into a hard forward left fade about 60% of the way and usually takes a nice forward skip at the end. It's my go-to utility disc to flex around trees.

You may have mentioned it before and I missed it, but what plastic is best for the FD3?

I think they're all good personally, but I generally have a weird preference for C-Line/Champion type plastics for my fairway drivers for some reason. Some say the S-Line is more overstable than C-Line, but I've always been plenty fine with the C-Line's stability.

I've been bagging a Banshee for several months, and I recently got a board-flat Opto Spark. The Banshee is a kinda beat 171 DX. It's good for a hard, straight throw that I count on to hook up. The Spark is more of a meathook that I've started using for really big headwinds and utility thumbers and whatnot. So far I'm liking it in that role.

Anything less OS than an FB is also likely to be longer than an FB.

When I think of shorter FBs I think of extremely OS speed 4-7s.

If you want a less OS FB in Swedish plastic, try a Convict. Felon is also a bit less OS than most FBs, but still pretty beefy. Both would be longer than an FB though.

the spark is a speed 7 and fairly beefy it would seem to fit my needs in gold line?

fd3 is speed 9, my thunderbird/FB do that stuff

Typically opto is slightly more stable than gold. That said, the Spark is a bit of a special case. The Spark was supposed to be an Eagle type disc. Some turn and a strong fade. However, the first run opto molded up super flat and super overstable. The result was a disc that was much more overstable than what they were shooting for. In the later runs they tweaked the production process so that the discs turned out more domey. The domier ones are more like their original plan for the Spark. I believe every gold / recycled run is the new, less stable runs. Even new run optos are supposed to have a bit of a dome and they are less stable than the first runs. If you want to get a Spark for utility overstability then you should look for the board flat optos. I believe that the moonshine Spark is also very overstable like the Opto ... possibly even more overstable. I haven't tried it myself tho, its possible that my information regarding the moonshine is incorrect

Here's Dave Feldberg explaining it -> https://youtu.be/_8ZCivKz7ng?t=364

Last edited:
any opinions on opto plastic vs gold line? stability difference?

Opto is generally more overstable, but like with all molds/plastics there are some random onesie/twosie discs floating around out there that don't adhere to this generality.

any opinions on opto plastic vs gold line? stability difference?

Not as much as star vs. champ, but opto does tend to take longer to beat in, meaning that on an OS/utility role I would lean that way so it doesn't lose its stability as quickly. It's not as big of a deal compared to star/champ choice, typically. I've only thrown a Spark once (can't remember if it was the new plastic one or an older run)...but at least from that sample size it's likely a good fit for what you want. Flew similar to a very beefy champ Teebird to me.

In my experience it seems gold line beats in fairly fast and loses some stability. However, If you get a xXx in frost line that is the most overstable of the plastics and pretty similar to a fluid felon. Its nice and gummy plus it holds its stability. I use it for a utility disc as it's great for cut rollers, dead right flick skips and weaving around large obstacles,etc.

The Opto Spark that I had, (first run 171) was definitely a mini FB. The only things that I've thrown that are close are XXX, FD2, Banshee, FD3, and a beefy Champ TBird. I primarily use the disc that I have in this slot for control FHs as they handle power better than Mids. I would definitely try to get the disc as flat as possible as it will handle headwinds better.

Latest posts