• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Overmolds

AVR_

I have never used an overmold before but I decided to order an XT Nova to test out. So I got it today along with some other plastics and the first thing I noticed is that on the top where the 2 molds come together it is not seamless or smooth. There is a noticeable gap all the way around the top of the disc. Some places are smoother than others but overall it is pretty uneven all the way around. I also dont like the sleeves underneath the bottom where it is screwed together but I guess I can get past that. But gripping the top and there being a gap right where my thumb goes I am not sure I can deal with it. I was under the impression this would be smooth and flush. Is this normal or did I get a defective one?

That is not totally uncommon for the Nova, I've seen some that were pretty wavy. The MVP ones and most of the other companies are a little more flush.

That is not totally uncommon for the Nova, I've seen some that were pretty wavy. The MVP ones and most of the other companies are a little more flush.

Ok so I dont need to ask for an exchange then I guess?

picture.php

I have your answer. Get an Electron Atom. Similar flight, smooth, precision molding with no gaps or bumps. :thmbup:

Send me one along with the Black Hole Pro I just ordered on Thursday :D

I personally love the XT Nova. I have quite a few. I always keep one in my bag. I've seen a few in person like the picture posted above. I've never seen this with any Atlas. I prefer to get my discs in person so this isn't an issue for me. If you get a " good" Nova (a majority of them are fine) I'm sure you'll love the disc. I wouldn't give up on Nova so quickly. There is a reason McBeth & Big Jerm bag one. It holds the angle of release & is great for hit/stick shots. The Nova is the reason I took first in my division at two tourneys at short courses last year.

I just started using an atlas and I freaking love it! The nova is always in my bag but I totally was not expecting to love the atlas, but it's my go to for straight shots at anywhere under 300 feet.

There is 1 pretty smooth spot so I guess that will be where I grip it altho I did email dgc to see if they have some better ones.

It doesn't affect flight. Seemed more common in the older runs

One of my favorite discs, I have many.

Try something from mvp or axiom. Much better overmolding. No idea how a nova really flies so i cant recommend anything in particular. Maybe an ion?

I love the flight of the nova, the low fade makes me much more comfortable as a beginner to go for the chains.

However I haven't been able to enjoy this yet, the high rim seem impossible to release cleanly for me. Wobble in 9/10 throws. So now I use some uberfan grip will all 4 fingers far in on the plate...

How do you grip your novas for 50'+ throws?

Whoa. I've never seen that problem. I have several Novas and Atlas and I just turned around to grab the stacks and check and none of mine have that problem. Wouldn't hurt to email customer service and see if they'll exchange. It's a very unique and stellar disc. The Nova has enough glide (like a freaking 7-glide!) that I know plenty of guys who use them as straight midrange shots in the woods that I step up to an M4 or Comet for. Moreover, they are one of the straightest driving putters I've ever thrown. Good HSS easily resists torque and turnover and relatively zero fade. I'd definitely fire off an email as see if they can get you one that was molded properly.

My wife's atlas doesn't have any gap or noticable parting line.

The atlas didn't have this problem.

And it's really not one, it's just aesthetics. I actually returned my first one at a tournament for one that had lesser gaps. But later had a few more with big gaps. Same flight

If you look at a old nova and a new one right between the injection ports there is a sliver of flight plate plastic molded into the rim. The old ones didn't have that.

I love the flight of the nova, the low fade makes me much more comfortable as a beginner to go for the chains.

However I haven't been able to enjoy this yet, the high rim seem impossible to release cleanly for me. Wobble in 9/10 throws. So now I use some uberfan grip will all 4 fingers far in on the plate...

How do you grip your novas for 50'+ throws?

The Nova is just an overmolded Aviar P&A. I have always had the same problem with the high shoulder on the Aviar P&A mold. I've tried RPros, McPros, and Novas and I don't get a good release with any of them. Something about that deep dish putter combined with the high shoulder doesn't agree with my grip. My answer is: I don't bag Aviar P&A's/McPros/Novas. I'm sure with a lot more practice I could develop a clean release with these, but why? There are loads of good neutral driving putters that glide well and go straight that I can throw cleanly. I know people talk about Nova magic, but I don't believe in magic (although Magics are good putters that go pretty straight too).

Anyway, if you love the Nova, just keep trying and eventually I'm sure you will develop a clean release with it. However, you should know there are lots of other options that are more comfortable to grip and easier to release cleanly.

I have never seen a Nova separate like that around the rim. I doubt it affects the flight enough but it's aesthetically poor looking. If it was me I would try to exchange that.

Latest posts