• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overrated things about disc golf

Anybody who doesn't play Disc Golf is overrated; conversely, I appreciate any chance I get to play, no matter what.:D

Playing golf so much that I haven't thrown a disc (to catch and throw) with someone for over a month.

Discs with no fade. It's nice sometimes, but if a line where a flight with a fade is open it's a more consistant shot.

Really overstable midranges. Sure they have lots of predictability but they also have very little range control. I guess if you throw on lots of either 250' or 100' shots they're nice. Anything that's not those two approximate ranges is hard to do.

Searching for the magic grip. I don't belive many people have as good of a concept of what's important with grip to really evaluate whether or not a power grip works for them or not. You know that grip article I link to sometimes? The guy that wrote it has little hands.

Arm speed. It's literally the last thing to worry about when trying to improve your throw and distance. It's something people already throwing 420' worry about, not something people wanting to throw 300' should worry about. Speed is not important, late acceleration is important.

"Whatever works for you." I'd like to hear a coach that's ever used that philosophy and taught anyone anything ever. In fact, its the opposite of coaching/teaching. You want to have fun, do whatever works for you. If you want to learn there are both better and worse ways to do things and better and worse equipment with which to do them.

Citing one pro that you know of that does something in an unorthadox way. If you want to learn from watching and reading about pros focus on the similarities, not the differences.

I also agree with the aces (especally arguing about what "counts" or not), shots over water and brand loyalty.

Cement tee pads aren't overrated! Especially when its super muddy! And I agree that DX plastic is cheap and doesnt last long, but I throw DX for the cute pictures :)

Huge disc golf bags are overrated! You don't need that much stuff. And that has to wear you out walking with all that weight. I switched back to my old standard size bag and I feel much lighter on the course and I don't get tired. Granted I am a girl, maybe I'm just not strong enough to carry the competition bag all round.

and whats the deal with all the rainbow avatars? :confused:

"Whatever works for you." I'd like to hear a coach that's ever used that philosophy and taught anyone anything ever. In fact, its the opposite of coaching/teaching. You want to have fun, do whatever works for you. If you want to learn there are both better and worse ways to do things and better and worse equipment with which to do them.

Citing one pro that you know of that does something in an unorthadox way. If you want to learn from watching and reading about pros focus on the similarities, not the differences.

You are grumpy but interesting! Let me know if my bag looks OK if you have time. :p

I agree strongly with the "but one pro does it this way" thing. Hate that. Hate it more in music. "But Jimi Hendrix didn't know how to read music" Yeah, here's a newsflash: You ain't Jimi Hendrix.

Searching for the magic grip. I don't belive many people have as good of a concept of what's important with grip to really evaluate whether or not a power grip works for them or not. You know that grip article I link to sometimes? The guy that wrote it has little hands.

your post is super contradictory. First, you say, in essence, that you should do what works for you as the writer of articles are different than you so what works for them may not work for you, at least in terms of grip.

but then you say that "doing whater works for you" is terrible advise... :confused::confused::confused:

hot headed disc golfers that think they are better or think they know everything are overrated

Long courses that are long for the sake of being long. Fly 18, I'm looking at you...

Beaver Ranch, 2nded. Great course location though.
Champion Plastic.
Distance.

Cake is also overrated.

And Putting is by far the most underrated thing in Disc Golf. become a better putter, and you will beat almost anyone.

Last edited:
You must like replacing discs because the current DX is pure poop. I have a Gazelle from the late 90s that looks better than a current Gazelle that has hit maybe 2 trees...its ridiculous how piss poor they have dumbed it down to.

I don't buy premium plastic to better my game, I buy it because it is cheaper than buying a half a dozen DX that would probably STILL wear faster.

Actually this post is about things that are overrrated. The higher end plastics are overrated. Not bad but overrated.
My second DX disc that I bought got all beat up due to lack of skill. I have several different types of plastic now, including DX, and several of the DX I have had for longer than my second DX disc. All the discs I have are in good condition due to the fact that my skills have improved not due to better plastic.
Remember, I did not say that the higher end plastics were worthless, just overrrated.

heavily wooded courses. WAY overrated. Just because there are a million impossible to hit lines through ten thousand trees does not mean it is pushing your game and deserves 5 stars. Those trees are pushing my patience is what they're doing.

I coudn't agree more with this one. I played a new but hyped course in the St Cloud area like this recently. We should add a rule for reviews, if you have to ask where the fairway is, it isn't a good hole. There are plenty of ways to make tight fairways and have it be a good hole, not cutting down any of the saplings isn't one of them.

being in the "elite Mark Ellis friend group" is waaayyyyyyyyyy overrated....

(michigan players will know what im sayin)

Is that Cake the band or Cake the food?

'cause I am gonna have to call you on that if its the latter.