• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable-ish Putter to Compliment Magnet

Craton

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys and gals,

It's raining/snowing :)gross: yup, snow :gross:), and I'm stuck inside wanting to disc. Since I can't I'll get my fix by asking you guys a question or two, and see if I can't get them resolved.

I throw Magnets as my putters, and am just in love with them. Whether I'm driving 200 feet, or trying to slap down those 30'ers, I can't get enough. But I'm finding that when it comes to a headwind, I'm losing a battle quickly. If I'm outside a bit, past 18' or so, and I have a headwind, I'm struggling to compensate with my throws- I'm playing with nose down, giving them more hyzer, etc. But I'd really rather keep my putting form as close to the same as I can, regardless.

So, I am trying to figure out a putter that could compliment, but not replace, my Magnets. This is what has been suggested to me thus far:

Discraft Challenger
Discraft Focus
Gateway Wizard

I do not, however, enjoy the feel of Rhyno's in my hand, nor the feel of their more stable brother, the Pig. I know our shop has some FLX Challengers in stock. which would last me a lifetime- but I'd also not have to worry about shelling out 18 bucks if I lose it or be stuck with it if I don't. I know I can (and will be) try out my friends putters, who have some challengers and wizards, but I figured I'd ask you guys while I rough out this cruddy weather.

The focus/wizard would be better if you wanted an inbetween to replace the mags.
I use challengers and magnets. Don't waste your money on flx, get pro d.
Only other I'd suggest is a vp by vibram

The focus/wizard would be better if you wanted an inbetween to replace the mags.
I use challengers and magnets. Don't waste your money on flx, get pro d.
Only other I'd suggest is a vp by vibram

I suppose I should just make sure to clarify that the Magnets are NOT going anywhere- so, if I heard you right, a Wizard/Focus would just be too close, and not much of something to fight a head wind, right?

That said, I wanted to add one more thing; I have a trade I can make to get an ESP magnet and an Elite Z Magnet- I was wondering if these would give me just that little more stability so that I wouldn't have to worry about headwinds as much, or if you think a Pro D Challenger would still do the trick? I have money to burn- I won a local tournament and got an 80 dollar gift car- but again, I'm too frugal to just waste it on something I don't need.

i switch to magnets earlier this year, and i still cant take my evo wizard outta my bag for this same reason

now i use the wizard for headwind tee drives and overhand approaches
if i coulda gotten the same feel for pitch putting wizards, i woulda never got the magnet

First choice would be a Gateway Wizard.

Runner ups would be the Vibram VP and Ridge. The VP will be the most stable of the bunch, great for driving into a headwind when you absolutely can't afford to have the disc flip on you. Plus Vibram's X-link compound is fantastic stuff.

So once again in short; Wizard, VP, or Ridge.

Just use a mid...if you like the Magnets for putting and general driving, use a mid for when it gets a bit windy or you need more fade or hyzer.

i should add, i never threw a zone, if the wind is blowing hard enough to where a true overstable disc is needed i step up to a mid, maybe wasp or drone, depending

zone does sound intriging, but i'm trying to eliminate molds :)
the wizard i could do without driving wise (it is the best i've ever had for driving...) but where it earns its spot is for pancake approaches, the evo plastic is sick for sliding up to the pin
the only putter that listened to me since day one (overhand that is) no matter how hard or soft i threw, it did as expected

putting i hated the evo, but for shots i use it for, its the only plastic that lands AND stays where it should
if your purely looking for a driving putter, i'd think about getting a hard-medium if your wanting a cross between durability and chain grabbing potential

Last edited:
Get a 174g SS Wizard. Ive been using magnets since i started but i recently notice a lack of consistency in the wind using them, i got this Wizard a couple weeks ago and it works alot better in the wind for me. I like it so much i use it as my primary putter now.

Now i just use my Magnet for straight line shots and short annys.

I carry two Magnets and a FLX Challenger

I use the 173 Soft Magnet as my main putter. I use the 176 Soft Magnet as my long putter, and I use my Flx Challenger for overstable putt and approaches.

That said, I wanted to add one more thing; I have a trade I can make to get an ESP magnet and an Elite Z Magnet

I don't think they make Z Magnets :confused: They do make an ESP Magnet but it's called a DGA Titanic. That's what I'd try first.

I don't think they make Z Magnets :confused: They do make an ESP Magnet but it's called a DGA Titanic. That's what I'd try first.

They don't make them on a regular basis. But I have a few available to me. They are basically tourney discs, one of them is ESP and one of them is Elite Z. Trust me- that's what they are.

I have a Z Magnet for sale. Its not cheap since they are rare. Pm me if interested.

Latest posts