• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Midrange? Why is it not useful to you?

I carry a CFR Gator but some rounds I don't use it at all. Usually it comes out for short skip shots -- it's nice to have a non-nose-angle-sensitive for those, especially in the wind. But, I've been thinking of replacing it with a Zone.

I used to carry a champ roc as my most stable mid, however it has been pretty windy lately and I picked up a z hornet to try out. I have found myself pulling the thing out more and more. It even saved my ass in a windy tournment on a long and open approach shot.

The overstable mid has found its way into my standard throwing lineup.

For me, an overstable mid was typically useful for 2 or 3 different shots.

A 200-250ft forehand shot, if I hadn't been throwing many forehands at the time. A Demon thrown hard would never turn over with anything close to reasonable form, and without much glide, seemed to have a predictable range of distances it would travel.

Shorter hyzer approaches. If my overstable drivers were in slicker plastic, I would sometimes use a base plastic overstable mid to dig in to the dirt more predictably and skip less.

Gentle S-Shots through trees. If the opening I could hit most accurately through trees was on the wrong side, I was comfortable putting a lot of anhyzer on a Demon forehand or backhand, knowing it would turn and work back the other direction.

I also found a little more control on disc angles with a narrower rim, as opposed to a faster driver.

I've enjoyed throwing the zone and drone but using new rocs and powered down preds for many of these shots has repaid me in simplicity. I can only really get truly comfortable with a few discs at a time.

I carried Wizards and Buzzes for the past year or so. For both BH and FH approaches and drives I found them to perform well. When I need strong headwind resistance or a hard hook I power down a Predator. For approaches though I throw my Wizards 95% of the time, even if it's a 250' approach, because I love their slow flight with tons of glide and little fade. They make shot placement a lot easier for me than even a Roc, much less a Zone or similar.

I tried carrying a Drone but it didn't do anything that Predator didn't do and I had to throw it harder. It would only be used once in a rare while if it was in my bag, while my Predator covers a larger range and is useful for thumbers and rollers too.

Now that I'm probably switching back over to Rocs I see even less of a reason to carry an OS mid for my game.