• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overthrowing Destroyer (RH forehand)

dan_b

I've been using a 163 destroyer as my primary driver for about a year, but am finding that now I am 'overthrowing' it. I am a right hand/forehand flick driver, so now I see the disc banking left heavily during the drive.

With only that for info, am I over-torquing the disc? For my next driver, should I be looking at something faster (Boss) or something more over-stable (Xcaliber or Force)?

I have a Crush and Flick I throw, but my form is very different, as I hyzer flip those. I am more concerned with what my destroyer used to provide - a long striaght flight with minimal fade, and almost zero anhyzer.

If you've had similar experiences, let me know what you did.

Thanks to all

Likely the Destroyer is now beat in and the overstability which hid form flaws is now gone enough to start revealing those flaws

Everybody should have a firebird

finding a champ or a star destroyer in the weight is going to be tough!

but i'm thinking it must have been champ at that weight.

time to get a new destroyer or throw it with some hyzer adn watch it flip up and come back at the end.

Yes, I'm referring to Champion plastic. Also- I cycle a brand new one in every month or so (I carry 3).

If I slow my arm down, I get the flat flight, but now when I dial it up - left turn. Perhaps a new weight? I have a couple low-weight Blizzards (150ish), but the profile looks so different (domey) that I've been reluctant to try them.

Yes, I'm referring to Champion plastic. Also- I cycle a brand new one in every month or so (I carry 3).

If I slow my arm down, I get the flat flight, but now when I dial it up - left turn. Perhaps a new weight? I have a couple low-weight Blizzards (150ish), but the profile looks so different (domey) that I've been reluctant to try them.

Just drop your angle a bit to accommodate the faster hit

You really shouldn't need a new one every month. Form sounds really off to me.

I like new ones 'cuz they're mint (no dings), but OK - I'll work on my form before trying anything new gear-wise. That seems to be the consensus.

So....what do you guys do, just throw and correct? or get someone to watch and analyze?

I throw between 300 - 360 ft

I only use the tips of my index and middle fingers on the disc, with a bit of thumb pinch. It's not a "sidearm" throw, I bring it almost straight back, and keep the disc on line coming out of my armpit. My elbow almost moves in a circular motion.

Hope that helps. (conversely I have a sidearm-ier throw for discs like a Flick)

You should be able to get a Destroyer out past 400 without a bad turn like you're talking about. Work on your form, or buy an Ape or Nuke OS. Or just start throwing rollers.

The answer is always form on the internet.....

Im not a ds thrower but i thought thats how ds' are suppose to fly, especially @ 163. Even a force will turn.
Dead nuts straight with dependable fade would be teebird, tracker, pred, olf, crush....

Seems like you can just hyzer flips it now. I'd keep it in the bag and buy a new one and you will have a more overstable one and a flippy one.

My big distance drives stem from RHFH throws as well. In my bag, I have a seasoned 175g Champ Destroyer. It's been in the bag for close to two years and still comes back to the right: great for big hyzer shots (even in the wind). For a compliment, I picked up a Blizzard Destroyer (153g) for max distance. I would just recommend having a compliment - perhaps a heavier duplicate you can trust will not turn over...hope this helps!