• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Par Encyclopedia

Wow, I didn't realize the Par Encyclopedia got stickied. I guess I better add this approach:

Par is a "design concept" or "design label".

If the hole was designed to be reached in 1 shot, it is a par 3.
If the hole was designed to be reached in 2 shots*, it is a par 4.
If the hole was designed to be reached in 3 shots**, it is a par 5.

If you can't easily tell how many shots a hole was designed to be reached in, there is probably a design problem with that hole.

Notes:
* Or, at the player's discretion, 1 heroic*** shot.
** Or, at the player's discretion, 2 heroic*** shots.
*** "heroic" implies risky and really really good.

If that doesn't work for you and/or you need a "rule", there's this:
partable.jpg

This applies to the VAST MAJORITY of courses meant for NORMAL PUBLIC PLAY. Or even minor- to medium-sized tournaments.

If you can estimate elevation, adjust the hole lengths by 3 feet for every 1 foot of elevation change before applying the above table.

Just a reminder that there is a great deal of useful information about par in the pages that are referenced here...

>> So that players can judge their progress by comparison to a consistent standard for what a first class player can expect to score on a hole. <<

What percentage of all holes should be "Par 2," then? 3/4 of them?

Then all holes at both Courses in my town should be Par 2, a hole on the Steamboat Course should be a 1 then as it is a 220 foot hole. The Powerhouse Ally Course would have only 1 or 2 maybe 3 Par 3 holes.

Latest posts