• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Park Ranger Run-ins

I have very little sympathy for a disc golfer who chooses not to follow park rules or local laws and then is surprised that they get in trouble for it. If a park closes at dusk, be out by dusk. If smoking or drinking is not allowed in a park, don't smoke or drink if you don't want to deal with the consequences.

The definition of civil dusk is not speculation:

The time at which the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon in the evening. At this time objects are distinguishable but there is no longer enough light to perform any outdoor activities.

Dusk and dark are not the same thing.

Correct, PADCNR frowns on "adult beverages".

Back to the ranger issue, I also hit the vehicle of a nice ranger.

French Creek State Park, hole 12 (gold). Second shot down to the green, little too much fade, hear a sickening "THUNK" as the disc goes out of sight.

Walking down to see what the eff just happened, I see the red and blues of a ranger SUV sticking over the bushes. **** I think, this could be fun...

Walk up, see disc, begin to apologize. Ranger shrugs it off, says happens all the time when I park here, have fun!

Phew!

usualy law enforcement dont care if anything happens to thier vehicles. they treat them horribly because they know they dont have to pay to get them fixed and they just get a new one in a years time anyways. its technically your car because our damn taxes payed for it.

One of my local parks just recently put in a 12 hole course, The park is split into 2 sections, an open park to the public and a private Camp ground, There is a small convenience shop on the private side that sells discraft discs. The bottom of the scorecard for the course indicates that disc golfers have clearance to go check out the discs at the store. On our second trip to the shop about 2 weeks prior to the course being finished I was pulled over by a park officer. It wasn't that fact that he pulled me over but the way he did it that ticked me off. He followed me all the to the store waited while we were in the store and back(the road is 1.5 miles long with a 20mph speed limit). Upon pulling me over he proceeded to threaten me with fines and expulsion from the park for life. I simply told him what we we're doing and he let us go with the warning that he better not catch us back their again. I have subsequently went to the store everytime I play that course and am earglery awaiting the next run in with him.

usualy law enforcement dont care if anything happens to thier vehicles. its technically your car because our damn taxes payed for it.
That argument doesn't go over well when you take their vehicle for a joy ride. ;)

picture.php

One of my local parks just recently put in a 12 hole course, The park is split into 2 sections, an open park to the public and a private Camp ground, There is a small convenience shop on the private side that sells discraft discs. The bottom of the scorecard for the course indicates that disc golfers have clearance to go check out the discs at the store. On our second trip to the shop about 2 weeks prior to the course being finished I was pulled over by a park officer. It wasn't that fact that he pulled me over but the way he did it that ticked me off. He followed me all the to the store waited while we were in the store and back(the road is 1.5 miles long with a 20mph speed limit). Upon pulling me over he proceeded to threaten me with fines and expulsion from the park for life. I simply told him what we we're doing and he let us go with the warning that he better not catch us back their again. I have subsequently went to the store everytime I play that course and am earglery awaiting the next run in with him.

This is incomprehensible.

No, really.

My buddy hit a security cop van at Mars Hill -- one of the last holes, I don't know which but the hole plays alongside a hill that slopes down to the left, and the road is at the bottom. She drove up the hill as he walked onto the pad, and when he threw the disc it was on a beeline for the van!

BANG!

We were ready to get kicked out, but when we approached she said the most perfect thing a frolfer can hear -- "Is your disc OK?"

Best.

Hole 17. If you let it fade it's in the road.

Ohio State Parks prohibit alcohol. If you're at the beach they'll likely pour it out for you. If you're at the campground, they let you be as long as you're not obnoxious. Not sure about a DG course, but they're probably not walking the course anyhow.

I had a ranger return a disc to me. The park (East Harbor) is an hour away and I only play it if I'm camping there, because the course is dumb. I had lost a CryZtal Buzzz which was returned to the camp store. The ranger called (name and number were on the disc) and since he lived close to me, he offered to meet me close to home and return it.

i'e never even seen the park ranger out of his vehicle on my home course!! although i sometime tell chuckers i run into that they've set up deer stands and sit in them watching for illegal activity...hehehehe

I went in some water for a disc at a local park last summer. Mind you i was up to my waist at the deepest and there were no signs saying not to go in on the property. Then comes the spiffy park ranger giving me a lecture saying things like would you rather risk your life and drowned? (Figured i shouldnt tell him id take my chances for my favorite driver since i was clearly ok in the water.)

He then stated that i needed a permit and could receive a fine. I told him that since there was no signage i highly doubted that fine would stand. He muttered something about not being able to post every rule in his 300 page rule book and drove off. Still never found my disc.

On a side note, what kind of state park doesn't allow alcohol?!

Texas State Parks don't allow "Public Display of Alcohol". So if you're at your campsite minding your own business, they'll leave you alone. Start running around drunk, they'll kick you out.

He has a job to do, I think most everyone can respect that. Could he have treated the park users, basically his customers if you will, with a little more respect also? Yeah definitely, but sometimes it's just easier to be the bigger man and keep a level head.

On a side note, what kind of state park doesn't allow alcohol?!

Well every state and local park I have ever been in does not allow alcohol. Some do if you rent a shelter but that is about it.

May have just caught the guy at a bad moment.

I was at parque de la raza in San Jose and had just finished a round with my 8 month old son in a jog stroller. A friend of mine, who works for DGA was there putting and we were chatting when a female ranger pulled up and began to ask me questions about my round. She then turned her attention to my son and asked if he had blue eyes. I replied that he did. She then began to lecture me on the issues with light eyed children getting exposure to sun. Mind you, he was in a jog stroller that has full sun protection. It didn't stop there. She got out of the truck, and brought her ticket book with her. I was cordial, not wanting any trouble. She proceeded to write me a warning for child endangerment. When I protested, she asked if I wanted to get arrested.

So I took the warning and as soon as she was gone, I crumpled it up and threw it in the trash. I asked my buddy, who witnessed the whole thing, to back me up when I called the park ranger department to complain about harassment. He agreed that this was definitely harassment and I immediately called. Fortunately, the ranger office agreed and was pretty horrified at the ranger's actions. They immediately apologized and told me that she would be reprimanded. I hope she got a stern warning of her own...

It reminds me of that thing I saw about cops how you get mad when they pull you over and act like a jerk when you were just doing 10 over or something. It goes on to talk about all the junk he could've seen during the day (drunk drivers, shooting, dead kids, beaten wives) and yadda yadda.
maybe they dont like the fact that car accidents are the #1 killer of young people , and seeing dead kids dosnt make them sleep well.

if someone is doing 10 over theyre the jerk:thmbdown:

Latest posts