• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Park Ranger Run-ins

i think its funny the people who cry about "nazi police states" and govt control cant control themselves and need police to control them.

This isn't DG related, but back in high school one of the girls in our little group somehow got the idea that going to a city park and sitting around a candle would be somehow interesting. Given that none of us had a better idea or wanted to argue about how interesting that would be that was the plan we went with. As it started getting dark, but before the park closed, we had a park ranger approach us. Apparently someone called us in as being suspicious. He asked what we were doing and we showed him the candle. He looked all disappointed and said, "Man, I was hoping you guys had weed to share."

this is proof that chicks rule the world....hahaha...I can see myself as a teen thinking ummm yeah I will hang out with girls with a candle in a park.....cool...hell I might do that at 42

made my night...thanks

Note: I haven't been to this park since 2007.

Pekin Park District rangers that oversee the McNaughton DGC near Peoria are very officious. Don't go to this park with any alcohol in your vehicle and don't park on the grass!

I have witnessed the rangers give tickets for having unopened alcohol - even when stored in the trunk. Saw a guy actually get arrested for this at a PDGA event one year. (Not arrested for the beer, but for the huge temper tantrum he threw after getting the ticket!)

You have been warned!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=524#

Pekin Park District rangers that oversee the McNaughton DGC near Peoria are very officious. Don't go to this park with any alcohol in your vehicle and don't park on the grass!

I have witnessed the rangers give tickets for having unopened alcohol - even when stored in the trunk. Saw a guy actually get arrested for this at a PDGA event one year. (Not arrested for the beer, but for the huge temper tantrum he threw after getting the ticket!)

You have been warned!

Or you could just not let them search your vehicle...just saying.

Turkey Lake Park, Orlando closes early---I think 5:00 in winter months. They just lock the gates.

I knew some guys visiting there who got locked in and had to go to the ranger's house to beg to be let out. I can't remember the details except that he gave them a brutal, though not necessarily underserved, time before releasing them.

You have been warned!

i've been playing this course for 13 years...i have only seen a few people get tickets for parking in the grass....there's more than one sign that states "no vehicles on grass" as for alcohol....there's a sign for that too....granted sometimes if you are careful you'll get by....come play this course....fear not the popo!!! our park ranger doesn't get out of his car unless he absolutely has to.....:thmbup:

You have been warned!

How is that legal? Blanket no alcohol in the park law?

I was at parque de la raza in San Jose and had just finished a round with my 8 month old son in a jog stroller. A friend of mine, who works for DGA was there putting and we were chatting when a female ranger pulled up and began to ask me questions about my round. She then turned her attention to my son and asked if he had blue eyes. I replied that he did. She then began to lecture me on the issues with light eyed children getting exposure to sun. Mind you, he was in a jog stroller that has full sun protection. It didn't stop there. She got out of the truck, and brought her ticket book with her. I was cordial, not wanting any trouble. She proceeded to write me a warning for child endangerment. When I protested, she asked if I wanted to get arrested.

So I took the warning and as soon as she was gone, I crumpled it up and threw it in the trash. I asked my buddy, who witnessed the whole thing, to back me up when I called the park ranger department to complain about harassment. He agreed that this was definitely harassment and I immediately called. Fortunately, the ranger office agreed and was pretty horrified at the ranger's actions. They immediately apologized and told me that she would be reprimanded. I hope she got a stern warning of her own...

Id figure by the name of the park that its obvious that they dont want any light eyes there;)

Not McNaughton, but Northwoods, we had two peeps fined more than $200 each for an open beverage (and supposedly we were there with the blessing of Old Man Wallis himself). Illinois is well known for ticketing you for alchohol. Way back in the early 1990s, when I first began going to Rockford, one of the first things I was told by the locals, was to beware of park police coming around on four wheelers to ticket you to alcohol.

Or you could just not let them search your vehicle...just saying.

Some cops and/or rangers will use your refusal and any backtalk (from their POV) as the reason to show probable cause & perform a search.

Here in the great state of IL, they are notorious for writing reports that include greatly exaggerated details to justify their actions. Plus, it is illegal to record video of them while on duty UNLESS they are breaking the law. We have some seriously f***** up eavesdropping laws here.

Always gotta remember 3 things in this situation.

1) Do not express any anger towards the ranger/officer.
2) If they ask permission, simply state...."I don't consent to searches."
3) Ask, "Are you detaining me or am I free to go?"

How is that legal? Blanket no alcohol in the park law?

In most cases, it is the consumption of alcohol on park property that is illegal. However, cases like this are generally not contested so officials tend to expand the bounds. When they are contested, judges tend to always side with law enforcement over citizens in that the official was just trying to insure the park was safe for all persons.

Plus, it is illegal to record video of them while on duty UNLESS they are breaking the law. We have some seriously f***** up eavesdropping laws here.

That can EASILY be fought and won by taking it to court.

First Amendment right to video tape police and government officials when on duty has been upheld all across the country in multiple courts of law.

First Amendment right to video tape police and government officials when on duty has been upheld all across the country in multiple courts of law.

Guess I missed this because my son was born April 22nd...

May 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A federal court has blocked enforcement of the Illinois eavesdropping law, which makes it a felony to record the audio of a police officer.

Here's the link...IL Eavesdropping Law Blocked by Federal Court

Some cops and/or rangers will use your refusal and any backtalk (from their POV) as the reason to show probable cause & perform a search.

Here in the great state of IL, they are notorious for writing reports that include greatly exaggerated details to justify their actions. Plus, it is illegal to record video of them while on duty UNLESS they are breaking the law. We have some seriously f***** up eavesdropping laws here.

Always gotta remember 3 things in this situation.

1) Do not express any anger towards the ranger/officer.
2) If they ask permission, simply state...."I don't consent to searches."
3) Ask, "Are you detaining me or am I free to go?"

Oh yeah, just gotta be respectful.

"I know you are just doing your job but I do not give consent to any search. I will be more than willing to wait while you obtain a warrant."

That it may, but even with the May 8th Seventh Court decision (Here) I wouldn't trust a Chicago cop to not arrest you on it. Keeping in mind that it was a Class 1 Felony with 15 years sentence if convicted.

Illinois has some messed up laws - like the Chicago no trucks law on a lot of streets including LSD. My buddy was pulled over and ticketed in his Ford Ranger because he had a truck plate on it (prior to July 2007 seat belt laws didn't apply to vehicles with truck plates in Indiana) - that's the price you pay I guess, but still pretty dumb.

RangerRick.JPG