• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul is done for 2019

I think if he was truly injured and didn't feel he could compete, he should have dropped out. Kind of a weak move to finish and not cash, and then post about his injury happening on the first hole. He's the best player ever, it seemed odd that he would shoot so poorly and finish out of the money just based purely on poor play. Drop out, heal up, move on.

Yes, he didn't seem hurt during the first nine holes of the first round. But it is what it is, it's done, and I'm not waste time dissecting every throw nor parsing every word he said. Hopefully he and Wysocki will get real medical treatment and get fully healed and well. :popcorn:

I don't understand your comment? Weak move how? What about Eagle and his hand? He should have dropped out too right?

It's weak to play it out knowing you are hurt, finish terribly, and then make a post about how you injured yourself on the first hole. If you can't compete, drop out. If you can, then stick it out and don't blame the injury.

And as far as Eagle is concerned, thats a whole other level of stupidity. Injure yourself throwing a childish tantrum. Look at how Chris Clemons handled his snowman on the second to last hole of the tournament. If Eagle can't be a professional, maybe he shouldn't play any tournaments.

It's weak to play it out knowing you are hurt, finish terribly, and then make a post about how you injured yourself on the first hole. If you can't compete, drop out. If you can, then stick it out and don't blame the injury.

Why do you think playing through an injury is weak? And who are you to judge anyway? He was able to compete, and was in the hunt to make cash until about 9 holes left.

Someone like Paul was probably thinking "it's not going to keep me from playing, even though I'm not 100% I think I can still cash" People compete through injuries all the time. Injuries that no one else knows about. I know I've done it a lot in the past, in a lot of different sports. It's not smart, and sometimes when you're done you look back and say "I shouldn't have done that, my XYZ is more injured than I wanted to admit"

You don't get to elite levels at anything without being compulsively dedicated, even to your own detriment sometimes.

I think the only reason continuing to play was questionable is the potential of making the injury worse. To me, if I was in that place where I was thinking I'm going to call it for the season, I want to try to play a last couple rounds of golf, especially when it doesn't count towards the rating.

It's weak to play it out knowing you are hurt,.

???
Based on what perspective is this? MAYBE... in a team sport where the coach has to make a call and pull you out because that person is just not helping the team to the level another, normally lesser player could but usually even then the competitor, especially one who is the current best in the whole sport wants to get out there and ... compete.

There are just as many stories of "they shouldn't have done that" as there are "heroic" stories of Micheal Jordan in the NBA finals with a huge fever and flu and Schilling's bloody sock... and on and on. Hindsight is all we have and there is a huge range of possibilities from nagging hurt to serious injury and I'm sure in his mind something he felt he could play through isn't doing permanent damage... so... I seriously don't get the judgment at all about why he SHOULD have dropped out.

I think if he was truly injured and didn't feel he could compete, he should have dropped out. Kind of a weak move to finish and not cash, and then post about his injury happening on the first hole. He's the best player ever, it seemed odd that he would shoot so poorly and finish out of the money just based purely on poor play. Drop out, heal up, move on.

I'm so glad we had you here to give this excellent career advice to Paul and to educate him and all of us what is and is not a weak move.

How many world championships do you have again?

I disagree completely.

1. I believe in active rest as an answer. As long as he was able to play on it and not hurt it worse - he was okay, and it was good for healing and avoiding atrophy (though I'm sure he would have been right on PT and this probably wouldn't have been an issue for him). I don't know if he saw a physician after the initial round, but he could have been given a go ahead. He also could trust himself to drop out of if it gets worse.

2. Honestly, how often does Paul McBeth get to exist in a tournament environment and just RELAX. If this provided him with the notion that maybe he could just enjoy his weekend in Rock Hill, throw some shots with new people... why not? Especially if, per point 1, he isn't pushing the injury further.

3. Paul's willingness to just relax and enjoy it instead of dropping out reminds me of Ron Russell in 2000. Coming off of breaking Climo's streak by winning the 1999 Worlds - he broke his hand early on at 2000 Worlds, while still close to the lead if I recall. Everything I read about the situation indicated that it gave a lot of people a chance to see a side of him they didn't see in tournament play: a more good natured Ron, more focused on the experience of being at Worlds, something he hadn't had a chance to get while trying to keep up with Climo over the years.

Eagle only injured himself because he was a dumbass...not wear and tear.

*In best Casey voice*

Outside of 5 minute window:

Ricky has lyme disease, which I wouldn't consider wear and tear. Paul's is really the only injury I'd consider purely disc golf related.

Someone like Paul was probably thinking "it's not going to keep me from playing, even though I'm not 100% I think I can still cash"
Considering the throws he was trying - I think his attitude was more "Okay, this blew up - but you know what I'm stable in life: I have a chance to just enjoy USDGC in a relaxed way this year. Lets do this!"

He isn't as pressed by his tourney to tourney earnings anymore, and it looks like he saw a chance to enjoy that.

I could be WAY WAY WAY wrong, but he sure looked like he was having fun doing crazy stuff after day 1.

A "Congrats to 2019 USDGC Champ James Conrad!" would have been nice.

If you watch to the end of the Jomez FinalB9 coverage Paul congratulates James in the clubhouse.

Also what I read in Pauls post due to injury he's not playing the rest of the year. Not that my poor play was because of injury

Last edited:
Considering the throws he was trying - I think his attitude was more "Okay, this blew up - but you know what I'm stable in life: I have a chance to just enjoy USDGC in a relaxed way this year. Lets do this!"

He isn't as pressed by his tourney to tourney earnings anymore, and it looks like he saw a chance to enjoy that.

I could be WAY WAY WAY wrong, but he sure looked like he was having fun doing crazy stuff after day 1.

Plus, his wife was going to be in Rock Hill until the tournament was over, that's a good reason to stick around. Let his fans see him and play a relaxed end of the tournament.

Just rub some Robitussin on it.

CPHtWycUkAAPU2J.png

Bummer that Paul's missing the end of the season. Hopefully he can get healthy and be back to soul-crushing dominance in 2020.

As far as finishing out the tournament on a possibly sketchy ankle, I don't think any of us has enough info to fairly second guess that decision. As long as he didn't exacerbate the injury there's no technical reason not to play.

1. I believe in active rest as an answer. As long as he was able to play on it and not hurt it worse

He apparently re-injured it on a circle's edge putt on the very first hole of the tournament. Not really sure how playing 4 more rounds on a long course that requires a lot of full power drives "active rest." Maybe walking a couple miles the next few days would count as "active rest."

He apparently re-injured it on a circle's edge putt on the very first hole of the tournament. Not really sure how playing 4 more rounds on a long course that requires a lot of full power drives "active rest." Maybe walking a couple miles the next few days would count as "active rest."

In 2017 I sprained my ankle in an odd way on the 3rd hole of a 42 hole 1 day tournament. I finished without making it worse. I didn't play great and could have walked off, but I didn't because it was relatively safe and I was there to compete. Anecdotal? yes - but I'm sure lots of people have done the same thing.

It's possible for him too, right? Especially since he didnt hurt it on a driving motion, he may not have had pain when he was throwing, maybe only when putting. I don't need to speculate, and it's not as if Paul has a history of getting hurt and dropping tournaments. It's happened but not like it's a normal occurrence.

Latest posts