• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul is done for 2019

I respect the man's talent, but dismissing the possibility of Paul's ego getting in his way as though you personally know him like a brother... That's just hero worship. Lots of really good athletes have played with apparent injuries.... And also, you know, played well.

You are right. Reading exactly what he wrote and based on his entire history as a competitor I assumed too much. I don't know him.

You are more right. Paul McBeth has weak mental fortitude and a fragile ego.

You are right. Reading exactly what he wrote and based on his entire history as a competitor I assumed too much. I don't know him.

You are more right. Paul McBeth has weak mental fortitude and a fragile ego.

An ego isn't really the same thing as saying weak mental fortitude. I think he almost always plays insanely well under pressure. Obviously a natural competitor who is unflustered by pressure. An ego might not be a big stretch, however.

Still a better theory than Innova/the Duvalls designed the USDGC course to penalize Paul for going to Discraft.

Maybe I haven't been following this close enough, but someone actually suggested this?

Whilst McBeth is not the best in any one category, what makes him so hard to beat is he is good in all of them. It would be very hard to design a course just to handicap him.

This being the premier event of the year, I do expect the staff to balance the course from year to year to keep it competitive; this is a horse of a different color.

I agree with you, it sounds silly.

Last edited:
Maybe I haven't been following this close enough, but someone actually suggested this?

Well it was Casey in the other USDGC thread, post #730 in that thread. Here you go...

"Actually it was the Course being so tight due to skinny in bounds, not so much putter only/friendly course being what helped James Conrad, this is where James Conrad Shines is on Courses that are long and tight with OB. That and trying to make the course penalize Paul McBeth due to going from Innova to Discraft by going to where Paul Normally wants to go on the Older OB markings that did not help most of the rest of the field. You saw some who play well on tight courses almost win but for the majority of the players the course was just tight and badly designed for some of the OB. Of course the Odd weather could have played a factor on some of the players as well."

Whilst McBeth is not the best in any one category, what makes him so hard to beat is he is good in all of them. It would be very hard to design a course just to handicap him.
This being the premier event of the year, I do expect the staff to balance the course from year to year to keep it competitive, that is different

Go to the USDGC thread in the tourney sub and go back until you find it...I'll give you three guesses who proposed this theory lol

after round 1:

after round 2:
(both quotes from Paul's instagram)

neither of those say "I'm RELAXING, taking it easy, and I'm ok with that!" to me
True. I was mostly referring to the back end of the event. Especially round 4. Paul missed cash by 5 shots. I understand the conditions, and maybe he was babying his ankle somewhat extra - but if Paul is trying his damnedest to grind out a cash he's not going to be taking an early 656 stretch (on holes he'd done okay on hurt the days prior) and then ramping up a 600' water carry attempt the next hole. He didn't play like Paul trying to just play competitive while hurt.

This being the premier event of the year, I do expect the staff to balance the course from year to year to keep it competitive; this is a horse of a different color.

This really isn't the time or place for this argument but Udisc has Paul's 2019 rankings as 1st in the following stats: Fairway Hits, Parked, C1 in Reg, C2 in Reg, and Birdie %.

He is the best off the tee.

This really isn't the time or place for this argument but Udisc has Paul's 2019 rankings as 1st in the following stats: Fairway Hits, Parked, C1 in Reg, C2 in Reg, and Birdie %.

He is the best off the tee.

There are 3 types of lies: Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Left me rephrase my statement so it is more clear. In any one skill, Paul is not the best, but what makes him so tough to beat is that he is good at all of them( ok, other than I don't think he can throw with his off hand)

Any of those stats that you threw up, they are a combination of many skills.

If there is a single skill that he is close to being the best at, that is mental focus. We have seen that slip a few times this year though.

Last edited:
There are 3 types of lies: Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Left me rephrase my statement so it is more clear. In any one skill, Paul is not the best, but what makes him so tough to beat is that he is good at all of them( ok, other than I don't think he can throw with his off hand)

Any of those stats that you threw up, they are a combination of many skills.

If there is a single skill that he is close to being the best at, that is mental focus. We have seen that slip a few times this year though.

I think "driving" can be summed up as one skill. And Paul is the best "driver" (meaning playing from the tee). I agree with your assessment of his mental toughness also.

Sure, statistics can be misapplied. But a six sided die will land on a number greater than one far more than it lands on one. I doubt you are saying statistics are lies in this scenario.

Anyway, I am getting beside the point and I am not saying you are wrong in any way. I just wanted to point out that Paul is (probably) the best driver and the only way to design a course against him is to design a course where the average hole is 30ft and have him play it against all the best putters.

Last edited:
A couple thoughts:
I'm pretty sure Hannah has a degree in something relating to like physical therapy or physiosomething. So she should have a decent guess as to the injury and if playing on it would risk more damage. There is a huge difference between an nagging injury and one where you can actively do more damage.
Even if an injury isn't actively hurting or being damaged, the mental space that injury concerns takes up is huge. Every full-throttle movement becomes a guessing game, there is no course punishing toward guessing games more than USDGC.

His official PR statement was, well missing a real public relations proof editor.

Damn, imagine a sport in which touring pros drive from event to event and live out of sedans, vans, and if they are lucky, RVs not being able to have a fully-polished and perfectly written PR statement.

Only Paul knows his ultimate motivations, but just by observing the way he plays and acts I think Paul is too much of a competitor to make excuses for himself. I imagine Paul is like many other highly-competitive guys who blame themselves for their screw-ups and not on anything or anybody else. You don't get to the top of any sport by making excuses for yourself especially when a sport requires you to have nerves of steel and the mental fortitude to bypass bad shots, rounds, etc. That's why I don't buy the conspiracy that he used his injury as an excuse.

I worked for this lady who used to come barging into my office and yell at me after I would send an email, and the reason she was yelling at me was always because of what she thought I was really trying to imply or manipulate or whatever with what I wrote. It was never about anything I directly wrote in an email. She was always reading a bunch of stuff into what I wrote and then getting mad over what she imagined I was doing. I was always floored by all the crazy stuff she could imagine was going on. She didn't last long; she crashed and burned after she imagined that everyone who sent her an email was plotting against her.

tl;dr: Sometimes people actually tell the truth. :|

Oh man, these types are the worst!