• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth #27523

Dang. He was just in all those vlog bits with Simon!

This is definitely the right time of year to rest, though. I hope Paul can get healthy and deliver another set of soul crushing frolf performances in 2020.

A bone bruise can take a long time to heal. I bruised a bone on the joint of my right index finger two years ago and it still isn't 100%. It took about eight months until I could hold a disc properly.

Interesting. Immobilizing the ankle to heal something like this? Would love to hear some physicians thoughts on that... seems odd, to me. But I'm not an expert, I just go off of second hand info gleaned from PTs I hang out with so I'm just being skeptical, not stating that I know it isn't the best strategy.

A bone bruise is not really a correct term.

You actually fracture the inside of your bone.

Immobilization is the best option.

Source - I've had 4 Bledsoe Boots in my life and a couple of "bone bruises" from BMX crashes.

For those too lazy.

" The periosteum is a thin layer of tissue that covers most of a bone. Where bones come together, there is usually a layer of cartilage at the edges. The bone here is called subchondral bone. Deep inside the bone is an area called the medulla. It contains the bone marrow and fibrous tissue called trabeculae.

With a bone fracture, all of the trabeculae in a region of bone have broken. But with a bone bruise, an injury only damages some of these trabeculae. It's also called a microfracture. An injury might cause blood to build up in the area beneath the periosteum. This causes a subperiosteal hematoma, a type of bone bruise. An injury might also cause bleeding and swelling in the area between your cartilage and the bone beneath it. This causes a subchondral bone bruise. Or bleeding and swelling can happen in the medulla of your bone. This is called an interosseous bone bruise.

The term bone bruise is fairly new. This is because healthcare providers only started diagnosing the injury when the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) became more common in recent years. A bone bruise doesn't show up on an X-ray."

"Treatment for a bone bruise may include:

Resting the bone or joint

Applying ice to the area several times a day

Raising the injury above the level of your heart to reduce swelling

Medicine to reduce pain and swelling

Wearing a brace or other device to limit movement, if needed

Most bone bruises slowly heal over 1 to 2 months. A larger bone bruise may take longer to heal. You may not be able to return to sports activities for weeks or months."

--University of Rochester Medical Center

How much muscle loss would you figure for four weeks of immobilization. It's gotta take some time to rebuild that strength.

So does it always come from a blow? Where did he get one and not notice/make the connection until now?

The original injury happened on hole 1 at USDGC when he turned his ankle. The blow could well have been a bone on bone collision within the ankle when that happened. And easy enough to miss that amid concerns of ligament tears or full on broken bones, especially if it's not something that shows up on an X-ray. Seems like the original diagnosis and prescribed treatment was for those other concerns and he proceeded accordingly, but that did not directly help the bruise which lingered as a result.

It sucks that it will cause him to be late out of the gate this year, but hopefully it's one of those things that once it's addressed properly and heals, it won't linger. And also hopefully there are things he can do with the boot to keep the rest of him on track to start the year ready to go.

The thing about deep internal bruising is the pain usually persists for quite sometime. Just seems odd to see him ripping around in a gator building his course and still playing rounds with no limp or complaints up until now.

Like it's better to break your ribs as opposed to badly bruising them because the bruise can actually take longer to heal. Just seems weird with Paul's money he would have immediate access to knowledgeable people and MRI imaging after the USDGC. Why did it take this long?

Just the inner skeptic in me! He's probably like the rest of us guys, continue on and ignore the injury thinking it will get better on its own... till it doesn't!

He's probably like the rest of us guys, continue on and ignore the injury thinking it will get better on its own... till it doesn't!

Yeah especially when you turn your ankle, there's probably a good period of disbelief that it's so much worse than a sprain, and a bit of procrastination to get it checked out.

Latest posts