• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth goes to discraft.

A lot of people are talking about disc lines, but one thing I've heard him mention in interviews not touched on here often is how important building his course in Virginia is to him.

I think he has biiiiig ideas about a whole complex down there, with a pro-shop, maybe multiple courses, a clubhouse and so on. It seems like one of the major things was Discraft was all in on helping him reach that goal while Innova was less than excited to do so. He can even see how Discraft has supported Nate+Val while they're chasing their brewery dreams and can draw parallels to what he can expect.

Hearing Paul's interview on PDGA Radio last week I came away this:
Paul McBeth sees himself as a professional athlete just those in the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, & MLS. He knows that his time in the sport is relatively brief. This is why he is concerned about branding himself and getting as much out of his time as he can. His vision for the game involves agents negotiating deals that a best for individual athletes. I would not be surprised if works on establishing a players union in the near future.
David Dunipace and Innova see things more as a community centered around a company and a game. The athletes play a role as contracted sales force members and spokespersons for the company and the larger game. Agents and players unions are a threat to company owners like David Dunipace just as in other industries.
Paul's going to Discraft is about showing the power of the individual athlete over that of the company. Paul wants to show that he can be the difference maker who can return Discraft predominance, just like the top NBA athletes want to show that they can turn a team around and thus build their fame and brand. Paul sees himself as an equal partner with the company, not just one part among many.
P.S. Looking back two years ago on the McBuyout April Fool's video, I wonder if it was Dunipace being snarky with a troublesome contract employee who thought too much of himself. Paul went along with it knowing it would get views and build up his fame as Innova's MVP.

I don't know, but he just signed the most lucrative deal ever, so it would seem to be a well considered and executed move.

Or an over-played hand that will leave Discraft without the necessary funds to maintain operations...

What will it be, Enquiring minds want to know...

Will Discraft win, will they conquer the world leaving Innova in the dust of history? Will the two big boys slug it out leaving lowly Prodiscus to rise to the top, crushing Tri on the way up? Will Whamo return? Wake me up when it's over.

A lot of people are talking about disc lines, but one thing I've heard him mention in interviews not touched on here often is how important building his course in Virginia is to him.

I think he has biiiiig ideas about a whole complex down there, with a pro-shop, maybe multiple courses, a clubhouse and so on. It seems like one of the major things was Discraft was all in on helping him reach that goal while Innova was less than excited to do so. He can even see how Discraft has supported Nate+Val while they're chasing their brewery dreams and can draw parallels to what he can expect.

Yes, his contract and signature disc plus future line is all great, but he seems to be building something for the future with his plans for his course(s). From the Smashboxx interview Paul mentioned his course would get the Discraft Chainstar Pro's from the Toboggan course that he shot the -18 round on. I thought that itself will be pretty bad ass.

Yes, his contract and signature disc plus future line is all great, but he seems to be building something for the future with his plans for his course(s). From the Smashboxx interview Paul mentioned his course would get the Discraft Chainstar Pro's from the Toboggan course that he shot the -18 round on. I thought that itself will be pretty bad ass.

Hadn't heard that. That's a bad-A move right there. Wonder if he asked or Discraft offered. Straight ballin either way.

Or an over-played hand that will leave Discraft without the necessary funds to maintain operations...

What will it be, Enquiring minds want to know...

Will Discraft win, will they conquer the world leaving Innova in the dust of history? Will the two big boys slug it out leaving lowly Prodiscus to rise to the top, crushing Tri on the way up? Will Whamo return? Wake me up when it's over.

1,000,000 really isn't that much money in the larger scheme. If a million dollar gamble would tank Discraft then they have no business being in business. Calculated risks are what it's all about.

Does Discraft have a division that designs and installs courses?

I haven't heard him speak about the course he wants to build. It seems that a course has the potential to cost alot to build, and not have the revenue stream to cover the initial cost or make a profit. Is he building a course just to have a course, or is it projected to be a money maker?

With a brewery, you can have a distribution chain that reaches across the country. With a course, you need people to physically be at the course.

I haven't heard him speak about the course he wants to build. It seems that a course has the potential to cost alot to build, and not have the revenue stream to cover the initial cost or make a profit. Is he building a course just to have a course, or is it projected to be a money maker?

With a brewery, you can have a distribution chain that reaches across the country. With a course, you need people to physically be at the course.

It's happening. I think the goal is to build a money maker. Hannah posted some videos of the property on instagram.

I haven't heard him speak about the course he wants to build..

He's talked about it on both Smashboxx and PDGA radio, at least.

Sounds like he wants it to be both an offseason training facility for pros as well as a championship gold level course. The plan actually sounds really cool and I hope he can make it happen how he's imagined it.

1,000,000 really isn't that much money in the larger scheme. If a million dollar gamble would tank Discraft then they have no business being in business. Calculated risks are what it's all about.

Yes, risk is part of the game. And calculated risks are part of the process. I've seen many of them, and I've seen some succeed and some fail. I don't know Discraft's numbers, but they just freed up 250,000 per annum of a reported 8 million per year. If the rumors are correct, they are going to pass some chunk of profit per sales to Paul, and are going to wind up directing some of their sales to his brand (albeit under their name). That's starting to add up. Folks are writing about the hit Innova is going to take by removing his name from their product. But they aren't thinking about the hit to Discraft's bottom line because sales will move from their name to his, and they will pay for that.

All of that risk is a good bit, given their 8 mm a year revenue stream.

As I wrote before, I hope it works, but it is a risk. I didn't assess whether it was a good risk or not.

As an aside, if the 1 mm was assessed over a single year, 1/8th of your revenue, I'd think that was quite a bit of a risk. My understanding is that it isn't.

Last edited: